Whats your favorite non-Mack?

vision386

Lifelong Mack man,but theres not a thing in the world wrong with a KW cabover! damn good truck,and this looks like a good one,that IS a Cummins sticker on the fender,right? lol!.........................................Mark

I liked them too. I got to drive one to Chicago once when the F model I drove was in the shop. I'd only driven Transtars, F models, and an Astro before that, and the cab seemed like it was 12 feet wide on that KW. Rt. 34 and 35 in W.V. was way narrower then too, but I made it all right. It was a big ride, 400 Cummins 13 spd.

The next truck I got after the F was a brand new '83 K100. First trip was a load of steel going to Boston, it had just been lettered, it was late in the evening, they were working on last minute stuff on it in the shop, I was trying to put all my stuff in it, and H.H. was walking around telling everybody to "hurry up, that boy's got to go".

I finally threw the last of my stuff in it and took off, and had to pull off at a wide spot just down the road to look at the dash because I didn't even know where the headlight switch was.

Got 2 more new ones after that, then we switched to T800's. This is the last one I drove, haven't driven a cabover since.

post-1374-0-73707400-1357050475_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I liked them too. I got to drive one to Chicago once when the F model I drove was in the shop. I'd only driven Transtars, F models, and an Astro before that, and the cab seemed like it was 12 feet wide on that KW. Rt. 34 and 35 in W.V. was way narrower then too, but I made it all right. It was a big ride, 400 Cummins 13 spd.

The next truck I got after the F was a brand new '83 K100. First trip was a load of steel going to Boston, it had just been lettered, it was late in the evening, they were working on last minute stuff on it in the shop, I was trying to put all my stuff in it, and H.H. was walking around telling everybody to "hurry up, that boy's got to go".

I finally threw the last of my stuff in it and took off, and had to pull off at a wide spot just down the road to look at the dash because I didn't even know where the headlight switch was.

Got 2 more new ones after that, then we switched to T800's. This is the last one I drove, haven't driven a cabover since.

attachicon.gifimg_1350.jpg

Sharp non-Mack,O.D.!! The cabs do feel 12 feet wide after being in an R-model or a Transtar (what I learned on)!

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

When i started as a local/hourly driver at Atlas van Lines,we had single axle F-models,237-5speeds,then White Road Commander II's 6V-92's 9 speeds,then GMC Astros 300 Cummins 10 speeds,then the last cabovers bought were Freightliners,400 Cummins 10 speeds (these were absoulute junk) one of our owner-operators took a shine to me,and hired me to run his truck while he got married and went on a honeymoon, it was a double bunk KW,444 Cummins with a 13 speed road-ranger,one of the first trucks i drove that was full air-ride,very nice truck to drive,i enjoyed it. I think the last cabover i ever drove was one of those Freightliners,i wanted to keep my Astro,but the boss had them sold,and said i'd be better off in the "shaker" cause it was a twin-screw,and brand new,whata joke! damn thing was in the shop more than on the road,leaked like a sieve! only truck i ever drove that i got to ride in a wrecker MANY times with! i used to keep the business cards for towing companies up over the door! i used to kid my boss that the Freightliner shop had to start a third shift just for our trucks (he failed to see the humor) Driving that Freightliner was what made me decide to buy my first truck!................................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Pop called them "studdie-busters" my mom had a 63 lark 4-door,was a damn nice little car,wish i still had it now,damn thing ran like a good wristwatch!....................................Mark

My favorite year of Studebakers! I have a few 1963 Larks, a '63 GT Hawk and a '63 Champ pickup.

• Like 1

:SMOKIE-RT:

I bought my first home from a man who had an early 60's Stude longbed pick up-the first half ton pick up I'd ever seen with a factory 5 speed in it. It had the V-8 and dual exhausts made of 2" galvanized plumbing pipe clear to the rear bumper,no mufflers. That truck sounded AWESOME. :twothumbsup: It'd almost crack windows every time he shifted or backed off the throttle.

Speed

:SMOKIE-LFT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

When i started as a local/hourly driver at Atlas van Lines,we had single axle F-models,237-5speeds,then White Road Commander II's 6V-92's 9 speeds,then GMC Astros 300 Cummins 10 speeds,then the last cabovers bought were Freightliners,400 Cummins 10 speeds (these were absoulute junk) one of our owner-operators took a shine to me,and hired me to run his truck while he got married and went on a honeymoon, it was a double bunk KW,444 Cummins with a 13 speed road-ranger,one of the first trucks i drove that was full air-ride,very nice truck to drive,i enjoyed it. I think the last cabover i ever drove was one of those Freightliners,i wanted to keep my Astro,but the boss had them sold,and said i'd be better off in the "shaker" cause it was a twin-screw,and brand new,whata joke! damn thing was in the shop more than on the road,leaked like a sieve! only truck i ever drove that i got to ride in a wrecker MANY times with! i used to keep the business cards for towing companies up over the door! i used to kid my boss that the Freightliner shop had to start a third shift just for our trucks (he failed to see the humor) Driving that Freightliner was what made me decide to buy my first truck!................................Mark

I've heard a lot of drivers joke that they had to wear a raincoat when they drove in the rain.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Never know there were anyother brand of truck other than a Mack.It like compareing apples and bananas.My father always told us boys you stick with what got you there in the first place.Mack was the only truck that you could buy that was Mack from bumper to bumper.

True story there-just the opposite of Cornbinders,where,if you didn't have the "Build Sheet" you couldn't order parts for 'em.

Speed

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Looks right out of "The Untouchables". I like it! :twothumbsup:

Speed

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite non-Mack would be a tough choice between these two.

Freightliner Powerliner. That massive grille could only mean one thing.... a big horse engine hiding inside.

Or the classic lines of a GMC MH9500.....318 Jimmy of course.

post-13134-0-03629400-1359340859_thumb.j

post-13134-0-59399500-1359341066_thumb.j

• Like 1

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

My dad looked into trading his 1972 White-Freightliner C.O.E. in on a Powerliner,with a 3408 Cat in it,but the deal fell through,and of all things he ended up with a new peterbilt 359 instead!...........................................Mark

post-5836-0-39354500-1359421265_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

My dad looked into trading his 1972 White-Freightliner C.O.E. in on a Powerliner,with a 3408 Cat in it,but the deal fell through,and of all things he ended up with a new peterbilt 359 instead!...........................................Mark

My uncle drove a Powerliner with the standard NTC-400 in it.Was a nice tractor.Had Freightliner 4 spring on it and a 180" wb.Rode like a baby carriage! Kind of a waste with just the 400 in it.For all intensive purposes,a standard FLA,would have been a better choice.Parts were hard to get,even at your local Freightshaker dealer.They stocked parts for your standard FLA's,but not too much for the FLP's.I would hate to try to find a bumper for one of those things,now! Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

dodge_vkda60.jpg4498790292_a62465d2e1_m.jpg

These are two of mine. 1940 Dodge and 1948 Brockway. I grew up with a 48 Brockway around. It was a beast with a eontinental engine which if memory serves was a 572 in line six. I also love the 40 Dodge as it just looks cool and I've got my eye one one locally. If I get real lucky, some day it will be mine.

I helped someone sell a '47 Diamond T a while back,and that truck made my heart pound every time I even THOUGHT about it. I'd have bought it in a heartbeat if I could have raised the $1800.00. I'd post a picture of it if I could but my pics don't work with this system. I've tried photo bucket and all the others but they just don't like me.

Speed

dodge_vkda60.jpg4498790292_a62465d2e1_m.jpg

These are two of mine. 1940 Dodge and 1948 Brockway. I grew up with a 48 Brockway around. It was a beast with a eontinental engine which if memory serves was a 572 in line six. I also love the 40 Dodge as it just looks cool and I've got my eye one one locally. If I get real lucky, some day it will be mine.

My favorite trucks in order

Dodge (esp. the job rated ones of the 50's)

Brockway (Detroit powered)

Mack (esp. the Detroit V-12 ones)

Diamond-T (I liked the big w-coaster's with the IH cab)

Freightliner Detroit powered, I would buy a Mack but you can't get a Series 60 in one

BULLHUSK

That doesn't mean you couldn't PUT one in. Where's your sense of adventure? :chili:

Speed

Sure do like that Brockway though. It just "looks RIGHT". :twothumbsup:

Speed

That doesn't mean you couldn't PUT one in. Where's your sense of adventure? :chili:

Speed

I stand to be corrected!!! I'll tell ya what, last year just before I bought the WS glider, I called Cambria Mack to get a price on a Mack Glider kit, I was goin to try and build a CL with a Series 60!!! .........................NO MORE GLIDER KITS FROM MACK!!!! So my head was in the right place

BULLHUSK