DOT hot and heavy 6/5 6/6 6/7

lucerne tractor

im sure glad I dont run more then a few days each month. I do my normal drive 14 hrs and then sleep 8-9hrs then drive another 14. East coast in a day West coast and southwestern states in 2 days...no bull shit government trucking here. On the other hand the old HOS rules did protect drivers from company abuse. so they are needed. the HOS rules today are a joke. too hard to follow and understand as each state seams to have a diffrent understnading of them. Im kinda wondering how these new electronic logs will be. part of me says it will just be that more simple to adjust the logs to my driving style and the computer will tell me where I made an error. Just like every new lock, there will be guys like me picking them....

My gps keeps a log, hours on,off,driving,also keeps miles by state, toll miles and non toll miles for fuel tax. Just plug it into the laptop and download the files. I plug it in now and then to update it, any changes in speed limits,construction, what ever, it loads that. Rand McNally 700, it also posts what page and what line you are on on their maps. Does all kinds of stuff. Don't want a goverment run log book. All set there.

I did a 495 mile triangle from Washington, PA to Cumberland, MD to Harrisburg PA and back home Wednesday night. The only action on that run was again at Cooper's Rock, which I didn't pass through.

Last night, I crossed the scale on westbound I-80 in OH, just west of the PA line. No DOT there.

I have e-logs. I can pull up everything from a summary to a complete 8 day recap on my PeopleNet screen. If the boys prefer to see a log page, I can pull one up in seconds, provided they have internet access.

Jim

I have e-logs. I can pull up everything from a summary to a complete 8 day recap on my PeopleNet screen. If the boys prefer to see a log page, I can pull one up in seconds, provided they have internet access.

It'll be a cold day in Hell before I run e-logs. When I take an overnight road trip or during these "safety blitz" periods, I ditch the company-issued staple-bound carbon-paper log book and instead fill out store-bought carbonless loose leaf log pages. I only carry the current day & 7 previous...minimum required under the regs...unless I'm able to claim the 100 air mile radius exemption in which case I won't admit to carrying ANY log book.

I like the carbonless logs, because it ensures the "copy" is as legible as you're going to get with anything but a brand new piece of carbon paper....but if the carbon paper is TOO new, it can rat you out for redrawing a day or two's pages to make everything look good.

I like the loose-leaf logs because it is easy to ONLY carry the current day & the 7 previous days. Anything older gets removed. I also only keep the original page for the current day in the book. Once the day is over, only the copy remains in the book.

...and a little known fact, if you typically run under the 100 air mile exemption, you do not need to carry any documentation. If you happen to venture outside of the 100 air mile radius, you do NOT have to draw up log book pages for the previous days when you were operating under the exemption...you only have to have pages for the days you were ineligible to claim the exemption. In other words, if you typically run local and happen to get an overnight run that goes a little past the 100 air-mile radius, you only need log book pages for the days you venture out. The "7 previous" rule does not apply to you because you were exempt from having to maintain a RODS on those days. I love my day cab. It is SOOOOOOOOO much easier to convince an officer that you typically run under the 100 air-mile exemption if you do not have a sleeper on your truck. :twothumbsup:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=395.1&guidence=y&keyword=school%20bus%20drivers

Question 12: What constitutes the 100-air-mile radius exemption?

Guidance: The term “air mile” is internationally defined as a “nautical mile” which is equivalent to 6,076 feet or 1,852 meters. Thus, the 100 air miles are equivalent to 115.08 statute miles or 185.2 kilometers.

Question 13: What documentation must a driver claiming the 100-air-mile radius exemption (§395.1(e)) have in his/her possession?

Guidance: None.

Question 16: May a driver use a record of duty status form as a time record to meet the requirement contained in the 100-air-mile radius exemption?

Guidance: Yes, provided the form contains the mandatory information.

Question 17: Is the “mandatory information” referred to in the previous guidance that required of a normal RODS under section 395.8(d) that of the 100-air-mile radius exemption under section 395.1(e)(5)?

Guidance: The “mandatory information” referred to is the time records specified by §395.1(e)(5) which must show: (1) the time the driver reports for duty each day; (2) the total number of hours the driver is on duty each day; (3) the time the driver is released from duty each day; and (4) the total time for the preceding 7 days in accordance with §395.8(j)(2) for drivers used for the first time or intermittently.

Using the RODS to comply with §395.1(e)(5) is not prohibited as long as the RODS contains driver identification, the date, the time the driver began work, the time the driver ended work, and the total hours on duty.

Question 18: Must the driver’s name and each date worked appear on the time record prepared to comply with §395.1(e), 100-air-mile radius driver?

Guidance: Yes. The driver’s name or other identification and date worked must be shown on the time record.

Question 21: When a driver fails to meet the provisions of the 100 air-mile radius exemption (section 395.1(e)), is the driver required to have copies of his/her records of duty status for the previous seven days? Must the driver prepare daily records of duty status for the next seven days?

Guidance: The driver must only have in his/her possession a record of duty status for the day he/she does not qualify for the exemption. A driver must begin to prepare the record of duty status for the day immediately after he/she becomes aware that the terms of the exemption cannot be met The record of duty status must cover the entire day, even if the driver has to record retroactively changes in status that occurred between the time that the driver reported for duty and the time in which he/she no longer qualified for the 100 air-mile radius exemption. This is the only way to ensure that a driver does not claim the right to drive 10 hours after leaving his/her exempt status, in addition to the hours already driven under the 100 air-mile exemption.

*Question 29: Must a motor carrier that uses a 100-air-milera-dius driver write zero (0) hours on the time record for each day the driver is off duty (not working for the motor carrier)?

Guidance: No. Section 395.1(e)(5) requires a motor carrier to maintain “accurate and true time records” for each driver. These records must show the time the driver goes on and off duty, as well as the total number of hours on duty, each day. The lack of a time record for a 100-air-mile radius driver on any given day is therefore a statement by the motor carrier that the driver was not on duty that day. If an investigator discovers that the driver was in fact on duty, despite the absence of a time record, the motor carrier has violated §395.1(e)(5) because it has not maintained “true and accurate time records.” Appropriate enforcement action may then be taken.

Gotta know the rules before you can bend 'em to your favor. :whistling:

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Sounds like a lotta fun Randyp, I want to own a Garand someday. I was hooked after I shot my buddies.

@ Lucern Tractor-I agree with you on what a crock of crap it is how DOT is allowed to make your job very tough with their constant nagging. I thinks its wrong that they can pull you over on the highway simply because you are a in a truck. They should have to have some cause to pull you over like a real officer not just to fill a quota and screw your day up. I dont have a lot of scales but there are a ton of DOT always on the prowl.

Heh Heh,,I aint shot any of my buddies yet, guess it could happen though,,,LOL,,,yeah, I bought one from CMP several years ago and its my favorite rifle,,,randyp

Heh Heh,,I aint shot any of my buddies yet, guess it could happen though,,,LOL,,,yeah, I bought one from CMP several years ago and its my favorite rifle,,,randyp

You got that right. I think Tx has more per capita then anywhere else. not just state boys all the municipalities are getting in on it. Hell Galveston is now requiring a city permit for All oversize coming out of there. Friggen money racket. Baytown has a nice new pickup got pulled by him once just wanted to see my permit and he nabbed me after I left the truckstop so had a scale ticket. did a walk around and was off.

A regular trooper stopped me in 86 R-model the other day, had me come to front of truck, glanced at my license, and told me he stopped me for not wearing my seat belt. I was wearing one of those yellow safety T-shirts. I told him I was wearing it. He got real official sounding, told me my first mistake was not wearing it, my second mistake was trying to lie to him, and my third was wearing the safety yellow shirt that clearly showed no shoulder strap, in wich he was "trained" to look for. I told him it was an 86 and wasnt equipped with it, just the lap belt, which I was wearing. He looked like he had swallowed a turd, climbed up in truck, looked at my lap belt, looked for shoulder strap of wich never was there, and climbed down apologizing like hell. I just laughed and said no problem. He said it was a new one on him. He was fresh out of trooper college I think. I guess he knows now,,,randyp

• Like 2

I had a little scumbag get me for that on 146 early morning going down to Galveston. After I told him he was full of shit and had the video to back me up. He had a change of heart and did a walk around got me for 1 strap on my outrigger boards and washer fluid not shooting. Prick

• Like 1

A regular trooper stopped me in 86 R-model the other day, had me come to front of truck, glanced at my license, and told me he stopped me for not wearing my seat belt. I was wearing one of those yellow safety T-shirts. I told him I was wearing it. He got real official sounding, told me my first mistake was not wearing it, my second mistake was trying to lie to him, and my third was wearing the safety yellow shirt that clearly showed no shoulder strap, in wich he was "trained" to look for. I told him it was an 86 and wasnt equipped with it, just the lap belt, which I was wearing. He looked like he had swallowed a turd, climbed up in truck, looked at my lap belt, looked for shoulder strap of wich never was there, and climbed down apologizing like hell. I just laughed and said no problem. He said it was a new one on him. He was fresh out of trooper college I think. I guess he knows now,,,randyp

I've been waiting to be harrassed in my F250....it's a '96 and USED to have a shoulder strap. I had broke my collar bone a few years before I bought it, and it didn't exactly heal right. The bones overlap a little right where that shoulder strap rubs. My old '86 Ranger you could pull the shoulder strap out a little and it would stay loose...so it wasn't TOO bad....but the F250 had constant pressure right on the tender spot where the bones weren't right. So, it was either stop wearing the silly thing, or pull the shoulder strap belt out and move the center lap belt over to the driver's position. I talked to several state & local cops about my plans to do that to make sure it would still be legal if I were pulled over (seat belt laws here were still secondary laws back then...they had to pull you over & write you for something else before they could do anything about the seat belt or lack thereof) and each and every one of them said the law only says that you have to wear a seat belt....says NOTHING about a shoulder strap. I looked up the law for myself, and they weren't lying....so out with the OEM 3-point seat belt. Center lap belt moved over. Center belt out of the Ranger moved to the center of the F250 (since the Ranger is in pieces in my garage waiting for a cab replacement & drive train upgrades).

Now that Illinois & a lot of other states are "primary" enforcement, I've been waiting to get pulled over because it doesn't LOOK like I'm wearing my seat belt. I just make sure I leave it on until the officer is standing there talking to me & asks for my registration, insurance, and registration. Can't reach the glove box to get the papers with the seat belt on....so I figure I'll try, be restrained by the seat belt, and let them watch me remove it so that I can get to my paperwork.

Hasn't happened yet....but I'm sure it will. Those Texas troopers are an observant bunch, though. Hell, it was dusk a few years ago...had just turned my headlights on a few miles back when my bird dog started hollering at me. Checked my speed & I was at a GPS-verified 65 mph night time speed limit up there on 82. Met a state trooper going the other way & he flips around and pulls me over. Why? NO LICENSE PLATE LIGHT!!! During the stop, he noticed my empty holster & asked for my gun...which was being legally transported (unloaded & in the case on the seat next to me)...asked several questions about it like if it was registered (which I told him "HELL NO! Registration in Illinois is only required in Shitcago....and I live about as far from there as a person can without crossing a state line.") He took it back to his car to run the number & make sure it wasn't stolen before giving it back & sending me on my way. Funny thing about that was after all the attention he gave the pistol, he didn't say a damn thing about the shotgun in the rack in the back window.....

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Got stopped in my 83 RD once and just in case I laid the belt across my lap,dam trooper came right to the driver door opened it and pulled on the belt,well the buckle dammed near hit him the head,lol,needles to say I got a ticket...
  • Like 2

Got stopped in my 83 RD once and just in case I laid the belt across my lap,dam trooper came right to the driver door opened it and pulled on the belt,well the buckle dammed near hit him the head,lol,needles to say I got a ticket...

Was it that trooper from the movie "Wild Hogs" that was pulling on your belt?

I would have told him to stick his apology up his ass sideways.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Heh heh,,thas tempting, but would be kinda like doodooing in my cheerios. I run too regular in this small town and he would harass me all the time then. Everbody oughta just love everbody, even though it was temptatious,,,,randyp

Went through one weigh station today, they are really going at it. Lined up out into the highway and the parking lot was full of trucks going through class 1 inspections. Went through on the green and stopped 20 miles down the road at a nice truck stop. The wreckers were coming in one after another dropping off tractor trailer that were red flagged. They dropped them and then they parked. Some were reefers. The wrecker services were making a killing and will be the next couple days. Can't imagine any other job that you get harrassed as much as trucking. It is a constant thing. They are after the log books too, new rule, 1/2 hour break after 8 hrs, don't forget.

Break is not enforceable till 2013.

• 3 weeks later...

86 R-model got stopped for a DOT inspection before I left for Scout camp. I had a driver in it. Trooper said he smelled alcohol on the driver and gave him a breath-a lizer test. He showed .036. He told trooper he had only drank the night before. You are not allowed any content at all. He said he was out of service for 24 hrs and had him park truck. I went to get truck and pick him up, and canned his silly ass as i drove him home. He told me what he did on his time at night was his business,,,i agreed and told him what he did on his time was his bidness, but when it spilled over into my bidness, then it was my bidness. Trooper also said truck had to have windshield replaced because of cracks, 3 or 4 rock chips. Well, thas gonna be costly! Trooper said truck wasnt "out of service", but he was gonna watch for it and give me a lil time to replace glass. oh well,,,,bullshit,,,guess I better do it now,,,,randyp (driver got a lil wormy with me on way to his house, made a reference that I oughta pull over and he would put a boot up my ass,,,heh heh,,i nearly threw him through windshield shutting my ole dodge down, got out and said hell,,,les just have a go then you dumb bastard, he just took off walking down road on his way home and thas where i left him,,,goofy bastard)

86 R-model got stopped for a DOT inspection before I left for Scout camp. I had a driver in it. Trooper said he smelled alcohol on the driver and gave him a breath-a lizer test. He showed .036. He told trooper he had only drank the night before. You are not allowed any content at all. He said he was out of service for 24 hrs and had him park truck. I went to get truck and pick him up, and canned his silly ass as i drove him home. He told me what he did on his time at night was his business,,,i agreed and told him what he did on his time was his bidness, but when it spilled over into my bidness, then it was my bidness. Trooper also said truck had to have windshield replaced because of cracks, 3 or 4 rock chips. Well, thas gonna be costly! Trooper said truck wasnt "out of service", but he was gonna watch for it and give me a lil time to replace glass. oh well,,,,bullshit,,,guess I better do it now,,,,randyp (driver got a lil wormy with me on way to his house, made a reference that I oughta pull over and he would put a boot up my ass,,,heh heh,,i nearly threw him through windshield shutting my ole dodge down, got out and said hell,,,les just have a go then you dumb bastard, he just took off walking down road on his way home and thas where i left him,,,goofy bastard)

Employees were always a thorn in my oversized ass too.

Windshields for an R model are not expensive. I bought four left, and four right and they were less than $60.00 each piece last month. Bought new gaskets also but haven't installed anything yet.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If he dranks and drives a truck then he is used to walking.Some of us worked out of town a few weeks ago. One driver and not his own truck got drunk at the motel on some else money and at midnight got in the truck and started to pop wheeles in the parking lot.This is a ex driver now.

glenn akers

86 R-model got stopped for a DOT inspection before I left for Scout camp. I had a driver in it. Trooper said he smelled alcohol on the driver and gave him a breath-a lizer test. He showed .036. He told trooper he had only drank the night before. You are not allowed any content at all. He said he was out of service for 24 hrs and had him park truck. I went to get truck and pick him up, and canned his silly ass as i drove him home. He told me what he did on his time at night was his business,,,i agreed and told him what he did on his time was his bidness, but when it spilled over into my bidness, then it was my bidness. Trooper also said truck had to have windshield replaced because of cracks, 3 or 4 rock chips. Well, thas gonna be costly! Trooper said truck wasnt "out of service", but he was gonna watch for it and give me a lil time to replace glass. oh well,,,,bullshit,,,guess I better do it now,,,,randyp (driver got a lil wormy with me on way to his house, made a reference that I oughta pull over and he would put a boot up my ass,,,heh heh,,i nearly threw him through windshield shutting my ole dodge down, got out and said hell,,,les just have a go then you dumb bastard. I proceeded to apply an ass whuppin on him like he ain't never had before. He was half my age and twice my size but he was a little short in the intelligence department. After I got done kicking his ass he was laying in the ditch, and that's where i left him,,,goofy bastard)

post-1374-0-55129100-1341407820.jpg

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

You did the right thing. The goofy bastard, and anyone with a cdl who drinks even occasionally, should know that's how the law works.

Jim

AAAAHHHHHH - the fun of being an en-di-pin-dant bid-nes man!

Any photos? Any U models? Post the pictures please of his boot headed up your rear?

I cant do that Olive,,that would be classed as porn, internet porn, prolly painfull internet porn. Sides all that, he had big feet to go with his big thumbs. randyp

I cant do that Olive,,that would be classed as porn, internet porn, prolly painfull internet porn. Sides all that, he had big feet to go with his big thumbs. randyp

If'n he was hung like the length of both his thumbs butted together, you are better being rid of him due to jealousy.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.