Loooong week at the show!

Bigdogtrucker

Had a great time,met a lot of nice people!Only bad part was waiting a few hours to get in on a 93 degree day...The old B did just fine in the heat,wife and daughter also had a good time.Only one C model there(didn't get mine there)and the guy works it on a regular basis!!!It has a 673 non turbo,manual steering and a 10 speed duplex.The owner has had the truck since 1983.Here's a few pics.

post-2598-0-40456400-1338660969_thumb.jp

post-2598-0-07043100-1338661001_thumb.jp

post-2598-0-43170300-1338661306_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I went over this morning. The good news is that it was not dusty. It was a tad damp but the truck turn out was pretty good. It was nice to see another B-815 there. I learned that some of the subtle things I wondered about are indeed on this truck too so I assume they are correct. What was that massive blue Kenworth? Does anybody know anything about that beast? Glad I went to see the local stuff. Maybe next time I can bring my tuck along too.

Went to get my truck and the rain stopped,thank god as my wipers aren't working right.The quick trip home was trouble free.Edited-Just talked to the people i bought the truck from.The son is 51,and father is 86.They were at the show today and saw the truck.Brought back lot's of memmories for them both!

post-2598-0-91297600-1338673251_thumb.jp

The fellow who owned that big blue KW says it was originally designed by Thiokol as an off-road missile hauling tractor, which makes sense. The numbers on the side panel behind the driver's door looked like Air Force ID numbering. Sure was an impressive monster, albeit with a surprisingly light looking driveshaft and U-joints. Massive rear ends, massive transmission, huge engine and a really weak looking driveshaft. Strange - but I'm sure there was a reason.

The same fellow also owned two other very unique trucks - one was a half-track ski vehicle that supposedly was a school bus in Canada during the winter season. Pretty interesting.

All in all, this was probably the best venue I have ever attended for one of these big ATHS shows. Very nice facility and a very nice turn-out of trucks.

Paul Van Scott

• Like 1

It's a Kw 953,a 963 or a 983. Originally made for Middle Eastern oil field work V 12 Cummins in most and the 953 had twin rads for cooling in 130 degree heat or better. The USAF used them to transport Minuteman missiles to desert silos at one time.

http://www.paccar.com/paccint/Kenworth/963_FamilyBrochure.pdf

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The same fellow also owned two other very unique trucks - one was a half-track ski vehicle that supposedly was a school bus in Canada during the winter season.

That would be his "Linn". Very cool piece. Saw it at Syracuse in '03.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

He was next to me at the Kemp auction, very interesting and knowlegable gentleman. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

For the small drive shaft maybe it is because the traction is with planatary and mybe you do not need as big shaft

as when it is regular differentials . not sure but plausible . and yes the big Ken's are for oil field use .

Makniac , collector and customizer of die-cast model in 1/50th scale

For the small drive shaft maybe it is because the traction is with planatary and mybe you do not need as big shaft

as when it is regular differentials . not sure but plausible . and yes the big Ken's are for oil field use .

The Clarke Powershift used it it will vary converter stall speed under extreme load and split drive ratios before you will damage drive train parts. It was designed for the XM70 Abrams proto type with the turbine and is used in a lot of ultra heavy equipment.

P.T.CHESHIRE