Detroit run away:

Rob

I've seen that video a thousand times. No biggie. I saw a 4-71 just like that run between 5000 and 6000 RPM for 12 minutes. The inline 71's hold up really well to high speed. It would be VERY SCARY to be there though.

Ben

It must have had larger injectors installed. A normal 4-71 with N65 series injectors would only run about 3300 rpm and starve for fuel due to restriction of fuel flow. Basically it would not run over this rpm due to depleting the available fuel supply to the injection rails faster than the pump could replenish.

Uncle Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

It must have had larger injectors installed. A normal 4-71 with N65 series injectors would only run about 3300 rpm and starve for fuel due to restriction of fuel flow. Basically it would not run over this rpm due to depleting the available fuel supply to the injection rails faster than the pump could replenish.

Uncle Rob

I think it did. The video is in a weird spot on youtube, I'll have to find it. I didn't see the tach so it might have been at a lower speed.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Not sure it was ether; most of the time a can of oil based WD-40 is the fuel of choice to get a diesel primed.

I've stopped a couple of runaways with either the emergency stop or a CO-2 extinguisher as well as placing my fire coat over the intake. My guess is most folks on the streets these days wouldn't have a clue about what to do.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I think it did. The video is in a weird spot on youtube, I'll have to find it. I didn't see the tach so it might have been at a lower speed.

Ben

Up to about 15 years ago we had a lot of Detroits on generator duty of all variants. I've seen fatigue, stress, broken parts and the likes plenty, but for the sheer numbers that were in place, the margin was small. Those are the best genset engines there ever was in my opinion as they are very smooth in operation.

Uncle Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Not sure it was ether; most of the time a can of oil based WD-40 is the fuel of choice to get a diesel primed.

I've stopped a couple of runaways with either the emergency stop or a CO-2 extinguisher as well as placing my fire coat over the intake. My guess is most folks on the streets these days wouldn't have a clue about what to do.

Not everyone has a set of bunker gear hanging around just for that.

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I like how the kids took off running, and the old guy knew just what to do...probably seen it happen a time or two before. :whistling:

I'd have to agree as I've seen it several times in the past. Our gensets are standby power and sometimes set without running for a month or so. This used to be a common occurance and back in the mid 1980's we started retrofitting electronic overspeed governors onto all gensets. Nowadays any genset that runs faster than 5% of regulated engine speed is shut down immediately. Haven't had a catastrophic engine failure since this action went into practice.

Rob

I bought a '69 IH F2000 a few years ago with a 6-71 in it.Mikey and I went to pick it up,checked the oil,took the filter off and filled it up,put in a battery and it fired right away,idled real pretty for 10 seconds then it took off.Mikey bailed out of the cab on a dead run,I turned to ask the guy I bought it from for something to stuff in the air cleaner and he was running just as fast the other way.Found an old coat under the seat,went to stuff that in the air cleaner and it sucked it out of my hand,along with one of my gloves.It ran for another 5 or 6 minutes and finally choked out,burnt the grass away from the tail pipe a good 2 ft. circle.Sold it to a buddy of mine,he freed up the stuck injector and it ran like a top.Those old Detroits will take alot of abuse,and can have alot wrong with them and keep running.

• Like 1

I bought a '69 IH F2000 a few years ago with a 6-71 in it.Mikey and I went to pick it up,checked the oil,took the filter off and filled it up,put in a battery and it fired right away,idled real pretty for 10 seconds then it took off.Mikey bailed out of the cab on a dead run,I turned to ask the guy I bought it from for something to stuff in the air cleaner and he was running just as fast the other way.Found an old coat under the seat,went to stuff that in the air cleaner and it sucked it out of my hand,along with one of my gloves.It ran for another 5 or 6 minutes and finally choked out,burnt the grass away from the tail pipe a good 2 ft. circle.Sold it to a buddy of mine,he freed up the stuck injector and it ran like a top.Those old Detroits will take alot of abuse,and can have alot wrong with them and keep running.

Id prolly be like your boy Mikey,, Mike.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Yep. A 92 series probably would have made an "aftermarket access hole" but the inline 71's are very durable.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Not everyone has a set of bunker gear hanging around just for that.

Yeah, but when you are at the bottom of a steep embankment on the side of I-95 with a truck screaming at about 5,000 rpm and the driver pinned in the cab you do what you hafta do.

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!