Okay, guys & gals,

As I stated in my intro page, I am looking to buy or build an R model. I am looking for a few specifics, but also have a lot of leeway in the final configuration. So, here goes! See if any of y'all can assist.

First off, this WILL NOT be a work truck. This is a truck show and parade truck.

I want to buy or build a 1977 or older (read that; "antique") Mack R600. I want to go single-axle. I would prefer a light, single-rail frame, if at all possible. Light front axle (i.e.: FA 534) is a plus. I prefer dual-reduction rears (RAD 529, for instance), but could be persuaded to go single-reduction.

Taller gears and overdrive are a must.

I could even work with an R400, as the frames are identical, as far as I can tell.

I can go Thermodyne power, with Triplex or Quadruplex box. Or I can handle Maxidyne power, with Maxitorque box. I would even consider a Fuller box, but I'd prefer to stay all-dog.

I have a cohort who claims he can lay his hands on a good, later-model cab. So, I would definitely consider a truck with body cancer as a starting point, if the rest was good.

NC is a "frame state", so a title matching the frame number is a big plus.

I hope this puts me in a market the "exporters" aren't interested in. They prefer heavy camelback trucks.

So, if you have anything like this that you want to part with, and see it in a good home, let me know!

Kent

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

• 2 weeks later...

Kent,sorry you weren't looking about a year or so ago for your truck.I had 4 1979 r modles that were tamdan drive, I know you want a signal axle but these trucks all had less that 75,000 miles on them.I know because we brought them new in 79.That year we took 45 new mack.Mike Durkin

Kent,sorry you weren't looking about a year or so ago for your truck.I had 4 1979 r modles that were tamdan drive, I know you want a signal axle but these trucks all had less that 75,000 miles on them.I know because we brought them new in 79.That year we took 45 new mack.Mike Durkin

Wow! Thise would have been good ones. That's me: a day late and a dollar short!

Actually go on here http://www.oldmacks.com/trucks.htm There is two early single axle R models for sale. A 67' R611T and a restored 66' R607T. The 67' isnt restored. Here are some pictures. P.S. The unrestored one is the one with the trailer.

Hey, Vinny. Been out of town. Just getting caught up. I have actually been to NY to see the one with the trailer. The price is insane, considering the condition. The price on the "restored" one is doubly so. The basic problem with these old units (as you know) is rust. And, you never pay extra for less-rusty, if you still have to re-cab it anyway. I have a couple of deals working right now. If any of them pan out, I think I can come out really well on the truck. I will be posting some info on the for-sale page that might be of some help to others. Stay tuned.

There is an early single axle R for sale here in Bangor. I have not checked on it yet as the price marked $6,900 scared me off so far. It doesn't look to me to be worth the asking price. I will investigate further and post my findings.

Gregg

Please do!

Hey, Vinny. Been out of town. Just getting caught up. I have actually been to NY to see the one with the trailer. The price is insane, considering the condition. The price on the "restored" one is doubly so. The basic problem with these old units (as you know) is rust. And, you never pay extra for less-rusty, if you still have to re-cab it anyway. I have a couple of deals working right now. If any of them pan out, I think I can come out really well on the truck. I will be posting some info on the for-sale page that might be of some help to others. Stay tuned.

Sweet. Can you post pictures if you get a R model? Or any other Mack.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

I have a 70 r608 single frame fire ex fire engine 27000 miles on it , 707 c engine 5 speed single rear 18000 obo 724 557 2619

18K is a pretty high starting point. It looks like I can be finished with a "custom" build for less than that. The region a truck is in seems to have a huge impact on its price!

Wouldn;t mind seeing some pics and specs, though. You never know. If it's the right one...

Kent

• 2 weeks later...
That combination is probably worth the money.

Also, in the last photo, if that International carrier is not one of my old trucks, it is close to a duplicate. The one I had sold to a party in Dayton, OH.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Prolly your old truck Uncle Rob.

Small world we live in.

Uncle Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 1 month later...

Have you bought one yet? I'm may have one for you in Alabama if you haven't. Not sure if fits all your requirements but I think most have been met. Pretty sure it's a '68 R685 model. VIN is R685 T 3318. Let me know if you're still looking and I'll upload some photos.

Well, I'm zeroing in on one. But I could be swayed! Let me know what/where/how much/what condition. And, pictures are always nice!

I'm looking pretty seriously at one nearby. The condition is pretty good, and the price is right. But, I'd prefer to have a single-axle, as indicated by your VIN.

Kent