I found a sales brochure that said this model has the FA 534 front end and RAD 529 you're looking for but I've been fooled by Internet info before. I showed the photos to the old man who said it looked like it did have the light front axle. He also confirmed it has a Maxidyne engine and 5-speed Maxitorque transmission.

The original owner said he quit driving it a few years ago when he had a heart attack and nothing was wrong with it then. He said the front fender damage occured when the tread on a tire came off and busted it. He saved the pieces but had the heart attack soon after and never got around to fixing it. He just recently gave the truck to his grandson and I'm negotiating a sale price with him now.

I've got more photos but I was afraid to post them all here.

1968MackR685T002a.jpg

1968MackR685T010a.jpg1968MackR685T001a.jpg

1968MackR685T024a.jpg

1968MackR685T013a.jpg

1968MackR685T004a.jpg

1968MackR685T031a.jpg1968MackR685T036a.jpg1968MackR685T039a.jpg1968MackR685T009a.jpg

Didn't get a chance to talk to the owner today but I'm guessing if my luck holds, two hot batteries and this one will fire right up like the last two I bought and if I get it for my price I can beat the $4K you're looking to pay for the other one.

Well, let me know what you can find out.

And, Thanks!

Kent

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Wow, I got it from both sides today. Feels like I got both barrels of rock salt out of a sawed off and looks like this deal's gonna go south before it even got started good.

I spoke to the grandson and wanted a face to face after work to make my offer. I hate talking on the telephone but he couldn't meet with me and just wanted me to make him an offer. I took my best shot and didn't even try to haggle. Gave him my top offer. He didn't seem too excited, which didn't surprise me since he really didn't seem too motivated to sell the truck in the first place. He mentioned something about the truck having a lot of sentimental value and he'd have to talk to his grandfather about it. Well we all know what that means.

The second blow came when I talked to the old man about it. He tells me it'll be a $5,000 truck after we fix it up and starts talking about patching the fender, putting tires and batteries on it, and whatever else it takes to get it road worthy. I tried to tell him I already had an out of state buyer lined up who wanted to restore it himself but I'm thinking now he's wanting to keep this one too like the last three I bought for us to fix up and resell.

When I told him I already had an out of state buyer lined up he asked me how I planned to get it to him. I told him I wasn't at that stage yet since I haven't even bought the truck yet so he starts figuring how much it would cost for one of his drivers to drive it to Marion, NC then fly back here to Alabama. I mean God love him he's one of a kind, mind always working on a plan.

Anyway, how was your day? Let's just hope the grandson agrees to sell and I'll get back to you when he does. The rest of it we'll worry about later if and when I get the truck.

Does anybody else have deals go like this?

Edited by TicketMan4u

Wow, I got it from both sides today. Feels like I got both barrels of rock salt out of a sawed off and looks like this deal's gonna go south before it even got started good.

I spoke to the grandson and wanted a face to face after work to make my offer. I hate talking on the telephone but he couldn't meet with me and just wanted me to make him an offer. I took my best shot and didn't even try to haggle. Gave him my top offer. He didn't seem too excited, which didn't surprise me since he really didn't seem too motivated to sell the truck in the first place. He mentioned something about the truck having a lot of sentimental value and he'd have to talk to his grandfather about it. Well we all know what that means.

The second blow came when I talked to the old man about it. He tells me it'll be a $5,000 truck after we fix it up and starts talking about patching the fender, putting tires and batteries on it, and whatever else it takes to get it road worthy. I tried to tell him I already had an out of state buyer lined up who wanted to restore it himself but I'm thinking now he's wanting to keep this one too like the last three I bought for us to fix up and resell.

When I told him I already had an out of state buyer lined up he asked me how I planned to get it to him. I told him I wasn't at that stage yet since I haven't even bought the truck yet so he starts figuring how much it would cost for one of his drivers to drive it to Marion, NC then fly back here to Alabama. I mean God love him he's one of a kind, mind always working on a plan.

Anyway, how was your day? Let's just hope the grandson agrees to sell and I'll get back to you when he does. The rest of it we'll worry about later if and when I get the truck.

Does anybody else have deals go like this?

Oh, I've had dozens of these deals fall through already!

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow. I think the old girl would drive home fine. I mean, I've already driven it around their area long enough to have been half-way home! I'm just getting old and more easily scared, I guess! Just have these aweful feelings something's going to blow up over in the I40 river gorge!

I know the truck runs good, and everything works fine. But, it always will when you're within walking distance of the shop. Problems only show up when you're in "dark territory".

Know what I mean?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and still hoping I can make this deal work somehow. Wish you were closer to us that would help. Even If you do decide to buy the other truck I still hope the grandson accepts my offer. If he does it'll make a nice truck to whoever we sell it to.

Well, I finally did it!

Went to Knoxville today, and brought it home.

Put belts on it, checked everything out 1 more time, threw in a few gallons of fuel, and drove it 3 hours home...through the worst thunderstorm I've ever seen.

Not a single malfunction, I'm happy to report.

Of course, now I have 3-4 years worth of very intense work to do!

Going to do some electrical repair first (don't have marker lights). Then, a compressor. Then, new air system. Then a clutch. Then, cosmetic stuff. But...it drives!

Yea!!!

Kent

• Like 1

Hope this truck turns out to be a good one for you. Grandson never called me back on the one I was trying to buy.

I hate it when people say things have sentimental value to them then they just let them sit outside in the bushes and rot to the ground. If it was mine and it really meant that much to me I'd have it inside trying to restore it or something.