Diesel for my 51 L model fire truck

mack31

6 hours ago, mack31 said:

I would like to take my fire truck further distance with more power. Looking for a diesel to swap out with the 707. 

Better prepare for a rear gear swap, gas engines have deeper ratio gears than a diesel.  Terry:MackLogo:

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, terry said:

Better prepare for a rear gear swap, gas engines have deeper ratio gears than a diesel.  Terry:MackLogo:

Any insight would be appreciated. I live in in Avondale PA. Looking for truck guys to collaborate with. 

• Like 1

So I  guess you need to start some where

Some basics

How fast is a comfortable speed for the truck and motor now ?

How fast do you wish to be able to travel with out the truck reving its head off 

What size wheels and tyres do have

What condition are these in, if they are buggered already it won't hurt as much to buy different tyres and wheels to suit a different back end if needed

What type of motor are you thinking, smaller motors are usually happy to rev a bit harder than a large truck motor

How much room is there to fit a different motor ?'

Paul 

• Like 1

Just my opinion, you’re looking at a huge headache, but yes, it is doable. Somebody on here just recently did it. I’m sure he will chime in. Good luck…. Bob

slightly off topic  (no not me ) . if I may ask how did you come up with the Mack31 log in ?? reason for asking is that is what my license plate (ct ) was , I worked for  Mack trucks and Baskin Robbins (31).  had the MACK31 plate for years.

for back to topic; depending on set up/ shop equipt most important= $$$. change over that extreme on occasion it more practical to find a running chassis having matching engine (diesel) with proper ratio transmission/ rear end.do a change over.