Superliner Frame Rails

I don't know about original frame rails from :mack1: But here is a place that makes any frame rail needed. pgadams

I know a guy that bought a wrecked Superliner and bolted a Cruiseliner front section on it, other than the length i think the Cruiseliner is the same fame.

:SMOKIE-LFT: MY SUPERLINER IS AN RW700 IT HAS THE DROP DOWN AND SPREAD DESIGN IN THE FRONT . THE RAILS ARE HEAVY ONES I THINK THEY ARE 7/16 OR 1/2 INCH THICK. THE DRIVERS SIDE RAIL IS BENT AT THE FRONT. I AM LEARY OF HAVING IT STRAIGHTENED. PREFER TO CHANGE THAT RAIL IF I COULD GET ONE. I SUPPOSE I COULD TAKE THE DOUBLE FRAME MH I BOUGHT FOR PARTS AND LENGTHEN IT OUT AND PUT MY SUPERLINER CAB AND HOOD ON IT IF I HAVE TO.

:SMOKIE-LFT: MY SUPERLINER IS AN RW700 IT HAS THE DROP DOWN AND SPREAD DESIGN IN THE FRONT . THE RAILS ARE HEAVY ONES I THINK THEY ARE 7/16 OR 1/2 INCH THICK. THE DRIVERS SIDE RAIL IS BENT AT THE FRONT. I AM LEARY OF HAVING IT STRAIGHTENED. PREFER TO CHANGE THAT RAIL IF I COULD GET ONE. I SUPPOSE I COULD TAKE THE DOUBLE FRAME MH I BOUGHT FOR PARTS AND LENGTHEN IT OUT AND PUT MY SUPERLINER CAB AND HOOD ON IT IF I HAVE TO.

I have seen many frames straightened and no problem if did right but you cant let just any one that has a torch do it. glenn

glenn akers

:SMOKIE-LFT: Thanks Glenn. I'm keeping that option open be for i do anything to drastic. We have some friends up here that have a fleet of Ford and Sterling gravel trucks. They had one of their tri-axle dumps rolledover a few years ago and they said they sent it away and had it sraightened. They said that that it worked out just fine for them. If it works ok on a Ford it should be ok for a big heavy Mack. I'll have to find out where they had it done at.

• 12 years later...

I found a Mack superliner that my dad sold a wrecking yard  that has been chopped into pieces everything there except for the transmission. I found Mack 1996 rd688s with long frame rails. Can I drop this Mack v8 400hp into the frame rails.   Yes I know that will be drilling some new holes 

I reframed mine from the cab back last year. We got the rails from pg Adams, they however are not able to duplicate from the cab forward due to the complexity of the rail. I tried getting new ones from Mack, as I remember there was a good part number for them, but there was no response from Mack as to availability. So I eventually figured that meant no

• 2 years later...

Smalls1184 do you have any pictures of the new rails you spiced in from the cab back? I'd like to see how you did.  Someone put older freightliner air ride on my magnum and I'm not feeling it at all. Looks good, rides decent but it pains me to see it on there.  I found a neway cut off that I am trying to get now so I can order rails from pgadams .

20211002_184454.jpg

Daniel Gulick

Perfect so I had the right idea then. I found neway suspension and mack rears so I'm guessing that I need to order 10.5 to slide over my 9 on my magnum.  Is putting neway better to increase value or am I better of throwing the original Camelback suspension back on to make truck 100% original incase I want to let it go to a collector one day? It is the very first magnum that was ever made.  Thank you for your time and help 

Daniel Gulick

9 hours ago, DanielG said:

Perfect so I had the right idea then. I found neway suspension and mack rears so I'm guessing that I need to order 10.5 to slide over my 9 on my magnum.  Is putting neway better to increase value or am I better of throwing the original Camelback suspension back on to make truck 100% original incase I want to let it go to a collector one day? It is the very first magnum that was ever made.  Thank you for your time and help 

It would be Great if the cut-off you are getting had 10.5 rails, it would save a lot of work. There are different types of Newway airride, does the set-up you are getting match the one for 1985? Think the right one is a long underslung type and have it on a 1985 MH I am working on. Someone else may know better on this point.

As for value, it is your truck, do what you want and not worry about what someone else wants when you sell it. It only worth what someone is willing to pay for it anyway. As long as you do things right it will always be worth a good amount.

I will say there is a Huge improvement in airide suspension over camelback. Epecially if you are bobtailing more than not. It is not original now so don't worry about it. It will be a Mack Magnum with Mack rears and newway airide.

I got newer Neway airspring on the superliner now and reframing/restoring it soon. It will have 1994 Mack airspring (Neway copy) with Rockwell rears and going to 270" with a 72 inch sleeper. I found a CL713 double frame in Great shape, years ago, only rust was under 5th wheel mounts. It was going to be cut up and scraped, said I would give $900 with the Mack suspension still on it! It is the same frame as an RW just has about a 8 inch extension on front of rails that will be cut off. All drilled same as the RW as well.

• Like 1

I'm going to have my welder do this frame right. I am looking to shorten it to about 240 to 260 wheel Base as well while suspension is being replaced . Its 274 now and taking too many attempts to actually park the truck.  Superliner turning radius isnt the best to begin with.  I will send you pictures when complete. Thank you for your time and help. 

Daniel Gulick