Truck tire changer

randyp

I buy lots of stuff from Northern Tool and Equipment, they send me lots of catalogs. I keep seeing ad for E-Z way tire changer. It says you can break bead from both sides without turning tire over. It show pic of 2 tire tools, one looks kinda hinged. Cost is 289.00. Anybody on here ever used one or have any input? I dont wanna pay that much to test something. I didnt think there was anything e-z way bout breaking a truck tire down. Anybody familiar with this apparatus? thank you,,,randypee

If you only plan on repairing or replacing your very own tires. All you really need is a duck billed tire hammer and 3 tire dismounting irons, or 2 and a tire spoon. You need the hammer anyway to break down tires that have glued them self to the rim. The slide hammer gizmo is not worth hauling home. The best tire repair tool that you could ever own is a bead seater, like the cheetah brand sold at Northern. I made mine from all new stuff purchased at Ace Hardware, for less than 35 bucks. a new portable air tank a 2 in. gate valve, a short length of black pipe, a 1/4 gate valve, and a shop air fitting. Now if you are going to do 10 at a time take it to the tire store. The biggest problem is getting the wheels off the truck. If you would like, the next time you have to change one out. load it and spot in the truck and bring it to 246 Aster Ln. Morganton Ga. I will show you how to slip a tire off and on quicker than a cat can lick it's ass.

• Like 1

The best DIY tool I have found for breaking the tire from the rim is to set my pallet forks just wide enough to clear the rim. The weight of the tractor pressing down on the forks has broken every bead I have tried it on. The pallet forks are also very handy for lifting the tires off of the truck.

I'm still using the old fashioned load strap to cinch them tight enough to get the air back into them.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

If you only plan on repairing or replacing your very own tires. All you really need is a duck billed tire hammer and 3 tire dismounting irons, or 2 and a tire spoon. You need the hammer anyway to break down tires that have glued them self to the rim. The slide hammer gizmo is not worth hauling home. The best tire repair tool that you could ever own is a bead seater, like the cheetah brand sold at Northern. I made mine from all new stuff purchased at Ace Hardware, for less than 35 bucks. a new portable air tank a 2 in. gate valve, a short length of black pipe, a 1/4 gate valve, and a shop air fitting. Now if you are going to do 10 at a time take it to the tire store. The biggest problem is getting the wheels off the truck. If you would like, the next time you have to change one out. load it and spot in the truck and bring it to 246 Aster Ln. Morganton Ga. I will show you how to slip a tire off and on quicker than a cat can lick it's ass.

This is exactly what the tire busters do around here. Takes practice to learn to not smack a rim, but a proficient tire man can dismount a tire in less than two minutes on a bad day. That is unless they are mine and from a truck that has 30 year old tires. Then it takes a bit longer to get the damn beads broken loose from as you mention: "glued themselves to the rim". The air blast tank, or ether works really well to bulge the sidewalls to get them to take air, (tubeless type) when using a "lock on" type air chuck.

The guys around here charge me $15.00 per tire to mount and dismount plus another $5.00 if it's mounted to a truck. Usually I take a couple pallets of tire/wheel combinations on a trailer and drop them off. For new aluminum wheels their mounting bars are teflon coated and don't scratch. Those are expensive and I can't justify the cost. I figure for the wear and tear on my back, it is money well spent to have them do what they do best. I still have my tire tools, but seldom use them any longer.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

i used to be able to jack up take a tire off truck tube type split rim,bust apart patch tube and put all back together and on truck in 15 minutes,,but that was when i was 17,,now that im a big old fatman,,i would probably let another young kid do it,, ill sip coffee,and supervise.bob

Just might throw it in the truck, load Spot up a couple of leg bones to chew on the way, and make a road trip! randyp

This weekend I was at a farm sale and I bought a small well pressure tank that looks to be the size of a cheetah bead seater. I have some three inch brass ball valves and some threaded black pipe and I am going to make one. Did you just flatten the end of the pipe and use it that way or did you need to weld on that little ridge down on the end of the pipe that some bead seaters have?

This weekend I was at a farm sale and I bought a small well pressure tank that looks to be the size of a cheetah bead seater. I have some three inch brass ball valves and some threaded black pipe and I am going to make one. Did you just flatten the end of the pipe and use it that way or did you need to weld on that little ridge down on the end of the pipe that some bead seaters have?

Flatten the end and add a small piece of angle iron at the end. Look at one somewhere to get the idea, you will probably have to have to trim it somewhat. If I were to make another one I would put the valve and pipe in the end of the tank for better balance.

Flatten the end and add a small piece of angle iron at the end. Look at one somewhere to get the idea, you will probably have to have to trim it somewhat. If I were to make another one I would put the valve and pipe in the end of the tank for better balance.

Thanks for the heads up - my tank has a two inch threaded hole on the end that I can use and that will be easier than welding the fitting on the side like the high dollar new ones have.

Randy we use what ken tool makes @ the shop & keep 1 on each of our service trucks @ work for breaking tires down on service calls . we also use what the call a Gold Tool similar to what Ken tool makes but has like 3 fingers w/ rollers on em . we use these w/ a bead breaker stick & they are are as handy as a pocket on a t shirt .

heres the youtube link for ken tools demount tool (remind ya i've got only full use iof my right hand & limited use of my left hand & arm due to a MILD CASE Of cerbral palsy & i use this tool everyday @ work )

When we go to mount the tires if we dont use irons we use a mounting tool its a long stick w/ a spoon shape on the end then fill a cheetah tank put a air chuck on the vavle stem (no core in stem helps air tire up quicker) take cheetah tank to bead w/ airhose & chuck on stem & seal the bead w/ the cheetah tank .

we put close to a 100 psi in tire before putting corte back in stem .

Here's a couple of Video's for Ken Tool's Demount tool .

http://youtu.be/QG7OV-RfSyY

hope this helps . B)

:mack1: aka bulldog man

• Like 1

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

I built a tank from a 20lb propane tank. Welded a coupling on the side. Then I used a 2" glue on PVC valve. First time I aired it up with a direct line from 175 psi compressor and went outside while it was building pressure. I don't know how much pressure it took until the valve came off and bounced off the ceiling and walls like a ping pong ball. Then I bought a threaded valve and it has served me well for 17 years.

David ive seen 1Tank made that had 2 handles on it (1 handle was right behind the valve ) . . the fella that built it said it would blow a bead on quick but had a kick to it like a mule . that made me leary of using it then . lol

:mack1:

I built a tank from a 20lb propane tank. Welded a coupling on the side. Then I used a 2" glue on PVC valve. First time I aired it up with a direct line from 175 psi compressor and went outside while it was building pressure. I don't know how much pressure it took until the valve came off and bounced off the ceiling and walls like a ping pong ball. Then I bought a threaded valve and it has served me well for 17 years.

heh heh, i dont think I could convince meself to weld on a propane tank David. i trust you prepared it well, guess you musta or you wouldnt be telling that story,,,,randyp

Propane evaporates completely leaving no residue behind that is flamable. I've welded on several LP tanks as they make excellent vacume tanks.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Propane evaporates completely leaving no residue behind that is flamable. I've welded on several LP tanks as they make excellent vacume tanks.

Rob

I dint know that, I still couldnt make myself do it. I would still be standing there holding welding lead scratching my head (or my ass) wondering if it had all evaporated. randyp (course im one those who wont use a cell phone at gas pump also)

I dint know that, I still couldnt make myself do it. I would still be standing there holding welding lead scratching my head (or my ass) wondering if it had all evaporated. randyp (course im one those who wont use a cell phone at gas pump also)

I think lp gas becomes a liquid at about 22 degrees below zero at atmospheric pressure. at 21 degrees below zero it starts to evaporate from a liquid, to a gas. If you open the valve to bleed the contents it will be dry in quite a hurry. The smell that remains is a chemical added to the gas so humans can detect it with their noses in case of leak, just like natural gas.

I have a 500 gallon LP tank I converted into a vacume tank for extracting waste engine oil from drums for my shop heat. I used to drive my vacume pump from a pto on the trans and fill the tank with vacume. It worked well. Actually took longer to empty the tank than fill it.

Rob

Any Time Randy . I'm still on both sides of the Fence when it comes to the Tire Business & Excavating Business . Once i got started working for my buddies who are in the tire business i learned the easier ways to fix these flats . Like i said i got a mild Case of C.P. ON MY LEFT SIDE & I use 1 every day. My buddy has a 12yr old son who can use the same tool.

It's a fairly easy tool to use. & once ya get the hang of it ya can dismount a tire in no time esp if ya use a break down stick to break the bead from the rim .

It will serve me well if i get back out on my own w/ another dump bucket . ;)

Later

:mack1: aka on BMT As Bulldog.

I didn't know that either. There's a man in Appomattox, matter of fact he lives in my old house on rt. 24, that makes really nice grills out of old propane tanks. I don't know where he gets all the old tanks from. They look like they'd last forever but the price for them starts at about $600 and goes up from there. I thought he was nuts for cutting and welding on them myself.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I sold a track hoe mounted shear to a guy in kentucky that all he does is scrap old propane tanks. He said the same thing - everyone is afraid of them, but once you drain them, they are safe. I did notice that the guy cutting them in half was doing it remotely in another room though! He has not had to buy fuel for his warehouse heat for years - it all comes in free in the scrap tanks.

I sold a track hoe mounted shear to a guy in kentucky that all he does is scrap old propane tanks. He said the same thing - everyone is afraid of them, but once you drain them, they are safe. I did notice that the guy cutting them in half was doing it remotely in another room though! He has not had to buy fuel for his warehouse heat for years - it all comes in free in the scrap tanks.

The bigest thing that goes wrong with welding/cutting on a pressure vessel, (tank) is the lack of proper venting to atmosphere. You don't want to apply heat to a closed circuit cause everything expands rapidly to the point of exploding sometimes.

As a side note: Fill a diesel tank completely full, and weld up that crack. Don't know how many times I've done that on a truck. You just need to be open, (as in fuel cap removed) and weld away!

Rob

I have this friend who has two brothers that work together at a cotton gin. One of them got an old 500 gallon propane tank he was gonna make a smoker out of. He took it to the gin and everyday after work he would go out there and think about cutting into it but would chicken out. One day he decided he was gonna do it, so he got the torch drug out and got everything set up. I should mention this was all happening between two big metal gin buildings. The other brother was around the end of one of the buildings watching this all happen and just when he started to cut into the tank, the brother at the end of the building held a .45 revolver in the air and pulled the trigger. Don't know if he ever finished the tank or not! lol Trey

• Like 1

I have this friend who has two brothers that work together at a cotton gin. One of them got an old 500 gallon propane tank he was gonna make a smoker out of. He took it to the gin and everyday after work he would go out there and think about cutting into it but would chicken out. One day he decided he was gonna do it, so he got the torch drug out and got everything set up. I should mention this was all happening between two big metal gin buildings. The other brother was around the end of one of the buildings watching this all happen and just when he started to cut into the tank, the brother at the end of the building held a .45 revolver in the air and pulled the trigger. Don't know if he ever finished the tank or not! lol Trey

If'n I had a brother, and if'n he had a .45, and if'n he did that while I was attempting something I was so uncertain and nervous about, there is no doubt he would be King, cause I would personally "crown" him.

Rob

• Like 1