Truck tire changer

randyp

I never tried it, but heard of a lot of guys using starting fluid to set the bead,also watched a few u-tube vids,that's some scary stuff..

four short blasts into the bead area and a match while simutaneously applying air to the stem will seat them near every time. I couldn't believe it the first time I'd seen it either.

I now use a water based paste type stuff from the tire supply vendor. It will seal a bead up to 3/4" in spacing, then push out while the tire inflates. It's actually called tire mounting lube, but randyp and various small animals would find a different use for it. You just scoop up the squish out with your hand and put it back in the bucket to be used again.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have this friend who has two brothers that work together at a cotton gin. One of them got an old 500 gallon propane tank he was gonna make a smoker out of. He took it to the gin and everyday after work he would go out there and think about cutting into it but would chicken out. One day he decided he was gonna do it, so he got the torch drug out and got everything set up. I should mention this was all happening between two big metal gin buildings. The other brother was around the end of one of the buildings watching this all happen and just when he started to cut into the tank, the brother at the end of the building held a .45 revolver in the air and pulled the trigger. Don't know if he ever finished the tank or not! lol Trey

Have mercy on me, I still cant quit laughing! I agree with Rob though, bleeve I would have to attempt "bodily harm" on him. randyp :lol:

One thing for sure,after dealing with 12/24 tube tires for many many years and than buying a truck with 24.5 tubeless tires was one of the best things I ever did,I don't think I'll ever miss fixing those heavy ars tires..

• Like 1

As a side note: Fill a diesel tank completely full, and weld up that crack. Don't know how many times I've done that on a truck. You just need to be open, and weld away!

Rob

Okay - I have a leaking tank from a crack on a R model I am working on. I just filled it completely full with propane like you said, and I took off all my clothes so I am real open. Which crack do I weld first?

• Like 1

fxfymn, how do you use a load strap when you air them back up? I try to fix my own flats so I pay attention everytime the subject comes up and always seem to learn a new trick! Trey

I wrap the strap around the circumference of the tire and cinch it as tight as I can. This makes the beads expand out to contact the rim. Of course you need to remove the valve core to get air into the tire quickly as well.

As a side note: Fill a diesel tank completely full, and weld up that crack. Don't know how many times I've done that on a truck. You just need to be open, (as in fuel cap removed) and weld away!

I saw a lot of courageous things when I was on the job, but my all-time number one was the gas company welder who would weld a pipe onto a high pressure line while the line was leaking gas in order to stop the leak. He welded a pipe large enough to cover the crack at 90 degrees to the leaking pipe with a valve attached to the other end; when the weld was complete the valve was turned off to stop the leak.

I understand the mixture was too rich to burn, but welding on a gas pipe blowing gas out at 25 or more PSI takes more nads than I could muster.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Okay - I have a leaking tank from a crack on a R model I am working on. I just filled it completely full with propane like you said, and I took off all my clothes so I am real open. Which crack do I weld first?
Guess I forgot you will need a shovel, large plastic bag, some of Tom's home made Bar B Q sauce, 409 cleaner, and plenty of clean rags. To ease the burden of others, please do your welding inside the shop so the feast is easier to gather. Also be kind to the shop and have the overhead door open.

Most of all, Have Fun!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I wrap the strap around the circumference of the tire and cinch it as tight as I can. This makes the beads expand out to contact the rim. Of course you need to remove the valve core to get air into the tire quickly as well.

I saw a lot of courageous things when I was on the job, but my all-time number one was the gas company welder who would weld a pipe onto a high pressure line while the line was leaking gas in order to stop the leak. He welded a pipe large enough to cover the crack at 90 degrees to the leaking pipe with a valve attached to the other end; when the weld was complete the valve was turned off to stop the leak.

I understand the mixture was too rich to burn, but welding on a gas pipe blowing gas out at 25 or more PSI takes more nads than I could muster.

I've seen several instances of natural gas supply line being welded due to cracking under a blanket of CO2 to displace the oxygen available. It works pretty well too.

Rob

Guess I forgot you will need a shovel, large plastic bag, some of Tom's home made Bar B Q sauce, 409 cleaner, and plenty of clean rags. To ease the burden of others, please do your welding inside the shop so the feast is easier to gather. Also be kind to the shop and have the overhead door open.

Most of all, Have Fun!!

Rob

Okay - Here I go with the welding of the tank full of propane -

post-6658-0-66519000-1323965764_thumb.jp

Okay - Here I go with the welding of the tank full of propane - post-6658-0-66519000-1323965764_thumb.jp
Glad to see you go about the task thataway. I hate welding and burning my ass cheeks. Oh by the way, don't fart when welding. We don't need no splozions after taking so many safety precautions.

Rob

Okay - Here I go with the welding of the tank full of propane

Ya gotta love someone who knows they are going to sh.. themselves when the tank blows and takes steps to prevent soilage. That's planning ahead.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

four short blasts into the bead area and a match while simutaneously applying air to the stem will seat them near every time. I couldn't believe it the first time I'd seen it either.

I now use a water based paste type stuff from the tire supply vendor. It will seal a bead up to 3/4" in spacing, then push out while the tire inflates. It's actually called tire mounting lube, but randyp and various small animals would find a different use for it. You just scoop up the squish out with your hand and put it back in the bucket to be used again.

Rob

I built my bead seater just a day or so after the last time I tried to seat one with either. You forgot to mention that after you gave the tire a good squirt, you always spray a stream of either to the outside of the tire to ignite it with the match. I did so and lit the liquid fuse, wooosh , it didn't even move So, I squirted it again, and lit it off, wooosh. By that time, I was getting pissed, so I gave it areal good soak of either and touched it off, Kaaawhaaammm. A large ball of fire singed my eye lashes, my eye brows, and all the hair off both forearms. I just stood there laughing and yelling, thank you Jesus I am not hurting and I can still see. I might try it again someday, but not likely.

• Like 1

I built my bead seater just a day or so after the last time I tried to seat one with either. You forgot to mention that after you gave the tire a good squirt, you always spray a stream of either to the outside of the tire to ignite it with the match. I did so and lit the liquid fuse, wooosh , it didn't even move So, I squirted it again, and lit it off, wooosh. By that time, I was getting pissed, so I gave it areal good soak of either and touched it off, Kaaawhaaammm. A large ball of fire singed my eye lashes, my eye brows, and all the hair off both forearms. I just stood there laughing and yelling, thank you Jesus I am not hurting and I can still see. I might try it again someday, but not likely.

Given my history of "If it can go wrong, and hurt me, it prolly will" i dont think Im gonna being trying any of that bidness,,,randyp

When my Pop was alive that's the way we used to seat our 11R22.5 tires . Ether will work but man the overkill sometimes.... ;):o

Man i was glad to learn about a cheetah tank bout 12 yrs ago . when the man i work for now bought it out to our place to mount some tires on our :MackLogo: I THOUGHT THATCHEETAH TANK WAS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD . Now i wouldnt seat a bead w/o one unless i was just having a hell of a time seating the bead. & tire soap or grease would'nt work i'll still go back to the starting fluid method IF I NEED TOO . :thumb:;).

Later yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Rob

Tom did that at the shop this morning because I was using the air hose he needed to inflate the steer tires on that Kentworth-they only had 80 lbs. in them.

'Course he loves fire, 'splosions, anything that goes boom anyway.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Rob

Like hell it works everytime. I tried it 4 times never got the damn bead to seat. tried it today again on a flat. finally ran it till i got to a tire shop and found the valvestem was a tad loose and it had a small hole in the tire. I have yet to do the starting fluid and have it work on a lowboy. I usually end up singeing my arm hair or in the case today, got my fiances hair. She was not amused.

Like hell it works everytime. I tried it 4 times never got the damn bead to seat. tried it today again on a flat. finally ran it till i got to a tire shop and found the valvestem was a tad loose and it had a small hole in the tire. I have yet to do the starting fluid and have it work on a lowboy. I usually end up singeing my arm hair or in the case today, got my fiances hair. She was not amused.

Did you have the tire and rim off of the trailer? I've mounted tubless tires that sat in a shed over 10 years stacked six high and not really had problems. I've always worn a long sleeve shirt and leather gloves but it's always worked for me.

The "Whale Cum", (tire lube) I use will seal a bead over 1" distant if you air slow so you can massage and control the squeeze out of the material. This stuff is thicker than chassis grease and is not liquid at all.

Whatever you do, and however you do it the tire has to either be off a truck or trailer, or jacked clear of the ground so no weight is resting upon it. Don't think I've ever burnt any of the remaining hair I still possess, but it certainly can be a loud "woof" as the ether explodes.

Rob

Ether just ain't as powerful as it used to be.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.