Drom Box:

Anybody still build these things? Haven't seen one in years but would like to have about an eight footer.

I asked body builders/vendors around Peoria yesterday and they no longer build anything; just install.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Anybody still build these things? Haven't seen one in years but would like to have about an eight footer.

I asked body builders/vendors around Peoria yesterday and they no longer build anything; just install.

Rob

DROM BOX o.k. iam lost.

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

DROM BOX o.k. iam lost.

They were popular in the 40's, 50's and into the 60's. Basically a small van type body on the back of a long semi tractor that could be used to have split freight such as van type freight and pull a flatbed semi trailer. These were customized to the end user's specifications many times such as having multiple compartments within the box. Many looked like a short van body for a delivery truck but were most always used on a semi tractor.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob

I don't know where they come from but Boyle Trucking still uses them a lot and i've seen a Norfolk Southern railroad truck,cabover Freightliner pulling a fuel tanker,around this area that has one.

Don't know where Boyle's out of but I think they haul a lot of explosives.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Rob,you might try this link to Kentucky Trailer Inc. they custom build trailers and truck bodies,catering to the moving and storage industry,in my opinion these are the best moving vans available,my background is moving/storage and we always used them almost exclusively.We had several owner/operators that had small droms,built by Kentucky they gave good service and were very well built. Hope this is of some help!........Mark

http://www.kytrailer.com/home

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I don't know where they come from but Boyle Trucking still uses them a lot and i've seen a railroad truck,cabover Freightliner pulling a fuel tanker,around this area that has one.

Don't know where Boyle's out of but I think they haul a lot of explosives.

Tom, Boyle's out of Billerica,MA (Boston) and they do primarily haul explosives..........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Rob,you might try this link to Kentucky Trailer Inc. they custom build trailers and truck bodies,catering to the moving and storage industry,in my opinion these are the best moving vans available,my background is moving/storage and we always used them almost exclusively.We had several owner/operators that had small droms,built by Kentucky they gave good service and were very well built. Hope this is of some help!........Mark

http://www.kytrailer.com/home

I'm actually thinking of building a camper out of a drom box if possible. This would be for my 74RL797LST, (brown truck) that I've posted. I don't want anything that looks new and modern but a 16-17 ft. drom converted would be neat to live in as I travel the country with family. Another member has located me a "Rest Rite" sleeper that will go on the other RL755LST which will be period correct.

Rob

Rob, are you sure that it would give adequate space for a boy of your stature? I would hate to be in the next campsite and hear a hollering and squalling the next morning from your DROM Box exploding from stretching it past it's capacity.

Hey Momma, this doesn't sound good.....LOL

mike

Rob,

There was a truck at the Macungie show where the owner did the same thing. He took, I believe, a CH Mack chassis and put a B Model cab on it. He then added a camper to it fashioned as a walk in sleeper from the cab. He also pulls a trailer with his antique trucks in it. If you look at the pictures on this site of the show you will see his yellow "B Model". His White dump truck was one of the featured trucks on the Fox News coverage - "Hoover's Stone Quarry" name on the dump sides.

He is Tim Hoover of Saltsburg, PA and his email is hooverstone@verizon.net He is very proud of what he has done and would be more than glad to tell you about it. My wife and I walked by it and I commented to him "what a nice looking truck" and he told us the story of the conversion and the building of the camper along with a tour of it. He did do a great job on everything. His antiques trucks are first class.

Denny

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

I'd seen a yellow B model, (B75 I think) at the ATHS show that was done quite nicely with a large DROM on it. It had the CAC mounted in front of the radiator and the piping painted black. Looked fitting and close to what I'd like to do with mine but a little larger. My uncle gave me a usable converter dolly so may take this truck pulling my trailer with another truck behind on the trailer to shows.

In the thinking stages right now but don't want to install a late model looking camper onto an older style truck; just wouldn't look correct in my eye.

Thanks for the link, gives me a few ideas to bounce around.

Rob

Picture of Macungie Mack

Thanks Denny, that is the same truck I'd looked at. Didn't know for certain what chassis it sat upon but surmised it was a CH series. Looked pretty good and all fit well together. The truck was sitting by itself and wasn't attached to a trailer.

Rob

I feel sure these people could build whatever you want- they do pretty much everything, or they used to anyway. They make TBC truck bodies there, or used to. They even made van trailers, H.H. Moore had a couple of TBC chip trailers. It used to be called Truck Body Corporation but I see the name is different now so they might be just parts installers now too.

http://www.truckbodyco.com/default.htm

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The big bakeries out west seem to love droms... Hostess Brands has dozens of cabovers with about 11 foot long droms and they're getting up in years and may be for sale cheap. I've seen a few of them dismounted from the chassis and parked around their truck shops. If you see one I'd ask and see if they'll sell it cheap... IIRC when I worked for the company a truck shop manager could sell used vehicles and parts for up to $500 without higher level authorization.

The big bakeries out west seem to love droms... Hostess Brands has dozens of cabovers with about 11 foot long droms and they're getting up in years and may be for sale cheap. I've seen a few of them dismounted from the chassis and parked around their truck shops. If you see one I'd ask and see if they'll sell it cheap... IIRC when I worked for the company a truck shop manager could sell used vehicles and parts for up to $500 without higher level authorization.

That is an idea. I have a couple of customers that work at Buttenut in Peoria that may be of help.

Thanks,

Rob

I'm actually thinking of building a camper out of a drom box if possible. This would be for my 74RL797LST, (brown truck) that I've posted. I don't want anything that looks new and modern but a 16-17 ft. drom converted would be neat to live in as I travel the country with family. Another member has located me a "Rest Rite" sleeper that will go on the other RL755LST which will be period correct.

Rob

Rob, A 16-17 ft. drom will be imposable to find. Most of them were about ten feet long. You might consider an old 40 ft. dry van. You could cut it down to size and have some extra panels left for replacing the bad ones. Maybe even find one in stainless steel!

Rob,

Talked with one of my customers today. He is an Atlas agent and he recommended contacting Supreme ( http://www.supremecorp.com/ ) in Goshen, IN. They would be your best bet to do what you desire. He also said that Kentucky would do the same but would be much more expensive and probably "over" built for your needs.

T.

Rob,

I will look at the manufacture of the drom boxes. I unload Explosives trucks every day now at my new job. I should be able to find out within a few days. Boyle has a terminal in Bloomfield also, might have a used one kicking around I will ask the drivers.

Morgan

15 gears...no waiting!

• 2 weeks later...
Basically a small van type body on the back of a long semi tractor that could be used to have split freight such as van type freight and pull a flatbed semi trailer.

Never knew what they were called. The other users are companies that deliver mill work and lumber. They ship the more expensive mill work in the box and the lumber on the flat bed.

The reason the explosives carriers use them is to seperate the fuses from the explosives. Tri-State Motor Transport out of Joplin, MO also uses these as they are one of the primary explosives carriers in the US.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Never knew what they were called. The other users are companies that deliver mill work and lumber. They ship the more expensive mill work in the box and the lumber on the flat bed.

The reason the explosives carriers use them is to seperate the fuses from the explosives.

Thats not entirely true. I know alot of AA&e haulers. If the drom was trailer mounted some stuff was a no no. Others could haul different stuff that could not be mixed. But when they pay that good. 1 pallet separated from another is a good load. I can only get bits and piees as of the security nature but you can do multi explosives with load on trailer and load in drom. And those droms are specialty built. Also the main purpose was hazmat compatibility rules. Other wise they where not needed.

We have a few that come to our yard . They are made by ICT in La Grange, Indiana 1 800 800 3244

trucksleeper.com

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE