I have taken some of my restored Macks to different shows. On occasion an informed Mack guy will comment that my mudflaps are on opposite of what they should be. They state that the dogs should be looking in at each other. One person said that Zenon Hansen laid down this law. But he did not come on the scence until the early 60's. So what is correct?

Good Question!

This has been a pet peeve of mine, for what seems forever. It was fired back up a couple of years ago when my neighbor started accompanying me to shows. Being a Mack novice, he raised the question about the proper positioning of the dogs.

I always mounted the dogs facing one another. The flaps would face the center of the truck, from the front the dogs on the mirrors should face the center of the truck. (The one thing I always used as justification for the mirror dog positioning is, the dogs on the mirrors can be seen from the sides as well. The mirror dogs should face forward from the side, then when they are viewed from the front the face one another.)

When Macks rolled off of the assembly line the dogs faced the center. In the brochures the dogs faced one another, and in the factory photos the dogs faced one another.

What does anyone else think?

Doug

post-91-1165327027_thumb.jpg

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

the dogs on the mirrors and mud flaps always face each other. I say we make this a law! B)

I realy dont like the new style single color flaps with the dogs facing the same direction. Wonder whos great idea that was. The "Retro" white green and red flaps need to make a comeback!

anyone remember the flaps that had the stars under the mack name?

Trent

anyone remember the flaps that had the stars under the mack name?

Trent

Yup, back in the 70's & early 80's, and I remember the window decals (in red white & green) that had a picture of a bulldog, and "MACK- the greatest name in trucks"on them.

Too bad they wouldn't bring those back too.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

That did it folks, I am making the switch this weekend. On another note it would be fun to add other Mack rumors and folklore to the discussion. Like Zenon Hansen putting a gold Bulldog on his car and then not allowing any other employees to use the gold dog..............just him.

According to the Trademark and Identity Guidelines on the logo.

- "The Bulldog must always face right, from the observer’s point of view"

But that would mean that Bulldogs on the left side of the truck, such as on the B model hood & early DM, R, & U doors would have to be facing rearward in order to face right from the observers point of view.

That was never the case and it sure would have looked silly if they had been facing that way.

Also, when installed on the grill guard etc. for decoration, such as in the photo of my RB in my previous post, IMHO it would look goofy to have both bulldogs pointing right.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

According to the Trademark and Identity Guidelines on the logo.

- "The Bulldog must always face right, from the observer’s point of view"

I think that would only pertain to paperwork or a single image on something like letterhead.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The new logo is only available on flaps looking right. We actually had the old logos reproduced from the original vendor in left and rights! Here is what they look like:

I like the old red & green flaps too...I just may have to look into that! :ninja:

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

I stopped at the Mack Museum today, Don Schumaker and I looked into the corporate guidelines for the logo useage. The guidelines contradicted themselves in several areas. One of the guides showed a left and right facing new style logo, and the next guide showed that there is no left facing dog.

Per Don, the flaps and mirrors were always installed by the factory with the dogs facing the center of the truck.

Doug :bulldog1:

We as dealers have to obey the corporate identity that Mack Trucks, Inc. lays out. As for being lazy, I degate that statement and get your butt in here and do the job. :clap:

Hi Barry, I spoke with Koenetta Plastics on reproducing the original 5 color Mack flaps from the seventies period and they were willing to do it at a minimum of 2500 sets, (1250 right flaps, 1250 left flaps). They were the original vendor to Mack Trucks during their production run. It was not costly per piece, but that much inventory was a bit much for a single user.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Barry, I spoke with Koenetta Plastics on reproducing the original 5 color Mack flaps from the seventies period and they were willing to do it at a minimum of 2500 sets, (1250 right flaps, 1250 left flaps). They were the original vendor to Mack Trucks during their production run. It was not costly per piece, but that much inventory was a bit much for a single user.

Rob

Sounds good...I'll call tomorrow and get the info and maybe we can start a group buy (kinda like the grille shells!) Are you talking white rubber or black rubber?

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Sounds good...I'll call tomorrow and get the info and maybe we can start a group buy (kinda like the grille shells!) Are you talking white rubber or black rubber?

Hey Barry; They were the white heavy ribbed (on rear) rubber, brown & black dog, Mack Trucks in red, standing on a green oval. Five colors in total, hence the name "Five color Mack flaps". The image was also "burned into" the face of the flaps. Both dogs were opposing, or looking at each other.

Keep us posted as I'll take four sets.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I payed $50 for single set (with shipping) for a oldschool set found on ebay. then the next week bout another set for my B model

If we can get more of these flaps at a good price I will take about 4 sets also. Could use some for the trailer I plan to buy. I would think the oldschool flaps would sell like hot cakes even on the new trucks. Lets show HQ how we want our macks "dressed"

Trent

The white flaps that i am familiar with were not rubber as you are specifying, they were the rigid plastic with the ribs on the backside. I think this is what is being looked into, let me know if I am on the wrong track. Thanks, Doug