Fuel Tank Rubber Strap Insulator

Guys,

Does anyone know if the rubber channel that goes around the square steel step fuel tank straps is still available? In addition to B models I believe the tanks were also offered on R and U models. If no longer available, any other options?

Most of us go to WATTS MACK SALES @ 1-888-304-6225 for B Model and R Model needs....ask for Tracy or Barry.

Regards

mike

tube type rim liners work well if you cant find the strap liners. just put them under the tank and straps and when you get the straps tight trim the liners with a razor knife. they look pretty good. thats what we use on the tanks when we have to change tanks.. joe

The rim liners are a good idea, I used garage door lower weather seal on my DM. It's a a shallow "u" channel. I got some at the local garage door insaller for free. A roll of 25 feet at the home center cost about 25 / 30 buckos. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I'll say you guys got the best idea and cost efficient. For some reason I got this hangup wanting OEM, and have not let it sink in yet that these parts are probably EXTINCT. I'm learning and an old dog trying to learn.

mike :pat:

I've seen a lot of folks use the nylon straps that are yellow. Cut the hooks off the strap and boil the strap in "RIT" black dye on the stove. Install into the straps with black rubber weatherstip adhesive, (as mentioned prior) and you'll never have a problem with it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've seen a lot of folks use the nylon straps that are yellow. Cut the hooks off the strap and boil the strap in "RIT" black dye on the stove. Install into the straps with black rubber weatherstip adhesive, (as mentioned prior) and you'll never have a problem with it.

Rob

Excellent idea. This is what makes me keep coming back, cause of better ideas that work. I remember my dad using this method on an old truck we had and it works great. I must have been 12 at the time he used that method and material.

mike :thumb:

post-1625-072388200 1285726138_thumb.jpgGuys-thx for all your suggestions. Just for kicks I'm going to try the local Mack outlet. I probably should call Watts but they don't list it in their online catalog.

Try Cleveland Tank, they made me my stainless straps to custom length with the insulators for half the price of a powder coated steel ones from Mack. They sell the insulators seperate....heres the link http://www.clevelandtank.com/tank-accessories.html

Pretty good people to deal with Barry from Watts actually told me about them.

Try Cleveland Tank, they made me my stainless straps to custom length with the insulators for half the price of a powder coated steel ones from Mack. They sell the insulators seperate....heres the link http://www.cleveland...ccessories.html

thx "220"

• 2 weeks later...

Try Cleveland Tank, they made me my stainless straps to custom length with the insulators for half the price of a powder coated steel ones from Mack. They sell the insulators seperate....heres the link http://www.cleveland...ccessories.html

Well 220 I checked out their website and sent them a question, got a prompt answer and ordered the insulators this afternoon- fair price too.

Thx again

This wouldn't be desirable for a restoration, but I used to use 2" fire hose. Cut 2 pieces of fire hose the proper length, then slide a hose over each strap, put the straps on & tighten down. Youll never have a tank insulator problem again.

Crude, but effective.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Barry dpes your insulator strap wrap around the strap or does it come even with the strap and is it self sticky? i used the kind that comes even with the strap and is self sticky instead of the one that wraps around the strap and it seems to shift and move. thinking about changing it. thanks, Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

220 Cummins had good advice- not only did I order the insulators from Cleveland Tank, but after snapping the first "T" bolt off, I dragged out the Sawsall and cut the rest of them off. I then ordered new straps from Cleveland.as well. Good service and fair price. New ones were powder coated with good quality "T" bolts, washers, and stop nuts.