Chrysler Powered Mack Info Wanted Badly!

the 401/402 was good for 100,000 miles on a good year, if you babied it and changed the engine and air cleaner oil often. some wouldn't go 40,000. they were overworked for what they were. they were made for small delivery trucks and site dump trucks. the 413 was an economical replacement and Mack was paired up with Damlier at the time, just like they had Renault engines in them in the 80's and we have a Volvo with a Bulldog now a days.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I just bought a 1955 B42T, and I have been thinking of converting it over to a 440 with a 727 automatic. Its cool to see pictures of a Mopar powered Mack. I bought the truck completely dissasembled, so I can pretty much make it how I want it to be.

I wouldn't do it, not with a 727 and I myself swear by them! I don't think the tail shaft and spline will hold up to turning that kinda iron, and you would have to get a yolk and U joint? maybe a trans out of Cummins? The 440 is not as heavy duty as the 413 as most of the 361-and 413 truck engines had timing gears no chain, the crank and crank flang is heavier the water pump and I think the fule pump is also diff. I also looked into putting on in my C900 but found out that it looks the same but they are very diff. animales

BULLHUSK

• Like 1

20 speed baby quad is a TRQ77 and TRQ770 is an 18 speed baby quad. they use a smaller imput shaft I think where as the TRD67 and TRD72 series use the same size imput shaft. my B613t had the EN413 and a 5 speed direct wit a 6000 series 3 way auxiliary behind it. the driveshaft was about 6 inches long.... sold the trans setup to Keith on this site who had/has a green R410P with a 413. picture of my B613 when it had the abortioned Chrysler in it..

post-6-0-08346300-1407187754_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I see yours is the ''blue block'' .the ''orange block '' like was in mine is the industrial block. I dunno what the difference is. its not the true ''max wedge'' block cause it doesn't have the side bolts thru the block and into the main bearing caps. yours also appears to be bolted thru the rear spring hangers. mine was bolted thru the original 401 rear motor mounts.

I see yours is the ''blue block'' .the ''orange block '' like was in mine is the industrial block. I dunno what the difference is. its not the true ''max wedge'' block cause it doesn't have the side bolts thru the block and into the main bearing caps. yours also appears to be bolted thru the rear spring hangers. mine was bolted thru the original 401 rear motor mounts.

I didn't think the Max Wedge block had cross cross bolt mains?

BULLHUSK

maybe only the Hemi had the cross bolted mains? maybe that's what im thinkin of? I know the orange block is the industrial version. not sure what the difference it but I know my grandfathers R410s had a blue block in it and bolted directly to a 77 series trans. my orange block had an adapter plate like yours that dropped it down to a #3 bell housing. your B421 I bolted to he spring hangers in the pic by the looks of it. mine had the hangers off the 4 bolts of the front spring hanger.

I wouldn't do it, not with a 727 and I myself swear by them! I don't think the tail shaft and spline will hold up to turning that kinda iron, and you would have to get a yolk and U joint? maybe a trans out of Cummins? The 440 is not as heavy duty as the 413 as most of the 361-and 413 truck engines had timing gears no chain, the crank and crank flang is heavier the water pump and I think the fule pump is also diff. I also looked into putting on in my C900 but found out that it looks the same but they are very diff. animales

BULLHUSK

I have a 727 from a motorhome, instead of a sliding spline yoke, it has a fixed yoke. Should be easy to adapt over to what the Mack has.

What do you mean by not as heavy duty? Every 440 before 1973 was a steel crank engine, just like the 413. The 440 cast crank is still pretty substantial, about triple what a small block chevy has lol. The early 413's did have an odd 8 bolt thick crank setup, but the later ones were the same as a 440. The odd thickness and 8 bolt setup on the early 413's were due to them being hooked to the early cast iron automtic transmisisons.

Id love to swap a 12v cummins in, but everybody who has one thinks it is gold plated. One day I will find a deal on a 12v or some other diesel to swap in. I have alot of other projects going on at home already lol, right now I just want to make it semi-drivable.

I had a dodge D-800 with a 413 in it and a spicer 5 spd. It also had a large rear axle like this, and It would move pretty good with the 413.

I might just leave it all stock for now and use the 401, because I would have to rig up an air pump for the air brakes if I dropped the 440 in... etc

• 3 years later...

Mack has always been known for build to order customized trucks. Many gas powered Mack’s left the factory as per customer specifications. The 413 was a popular engine and I am sure was an option to power a Mack R model. I know that some B Fire Aperatus models oferred the 413.

• 1 month later...

The B-405 and B-475 were ordered by the US Navy, for state-side base deployment.  They were spec'd with the same 354 engine, trans and axles, for parts commonality, as the Dodge M-8 C-700/D-700 trucks in use by the Navy at the time.

Edited by JimF
  • Like 1