Mack Trucks Sells Allentown Headquarters

:thumbsdown::MackLogo: hey guys this is they end of a mile stone in allentown nowhan could sell a building now and everywhan wants the MACK world headquaters this is a quick sell i never expect that now whit this crisis you can see how deep the name MACK is stamped in everywhans memory.what a reputation we will see where it ends greetings rene :(:(:(:clock_logo:

This is what gets me:

"Petrucci would buy the 250,000-square-foot office compound at 2100 Mack Boulevard..."

They have their own street and now they will not have it anymore. Very sad. What pisses me off is how Volvo is dragging Mack to THIER headquarters. Meanwhile Mack has been here long before Volvo. This goes to show you they have no real respect for the brand identity. Who gives a damn where Volvo is located?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Every Co they buy they slowly suck the life out of it Autocar is a perfect example I was told by a mack rep the over the road trucks will be the first to go look at UPS and other large carriers who had majority Mack are all being replaced with volvo Unfortunatley by the time they are done the only Mack made will be a LE or MR refuse truck and that sickens me. My family bought our first Mack in 1921 and to think it is a true possibility volvo will slowly eliminate product lines sucks.

VOLVO NEVER EVEN HAD A TRUCK UNTIL THEY BOUGHT MACK NOW THERE DOING EVERY THING THEY CAN TO DESTROY THERE NAME BUT EVEN AFTER MACK IS GONE IF THAT EVER HAPPENS VOLVO WILL STILL BE JUST A PICE OF SHIT

I second that!!!!! Im not just sayin that because of my feelings about Mack. One of my customers who is a large carrier based out of new jersey and has one terminal here in Chicago has old CHs with over 800,000 on em and 17 '06 Volvos. The Volvo trucks are always! broke always! The trucks are an absolute NIGHTMARE!!!!! for us and the terminal. It really is a shame how those trucks are not only engineered but put together. Coax wiring, control modules, etc: Garbage. Meanwhile other than brakes and maintenance the ol Macks keep goin. Even the drivers hate em. They say the truck is comfortable but they cant stand how the trucks are always broke or at the dealer for a month cause even the Volvo dealer cant fix em. Have another customer with three '05 Volvo road trucks all under 400,000 he just traded all three in and bought one new Mack. Yes Mack is the most expensive truck out there comparitively, however people should remember "THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY LONG OUTLASTS THE JOY OF A LOW BID" ( read that on a post somewhere in this site the other day and think it just sums things up quite well ) Please forgive my rant but I just couldnt help myself, just cant believe our brand is being ruined by these m******s at Volvo. :angry::angry::mack1:

Although I am usually a pessimist, I am trying to be optimistic about this issue. I look at it this way:

Volvo's "strength": over-the-road tractors

Macks's strength: vocational trucks

End results by Volvo (my opinion):

-Elimination of the Volvo VHD

-Elimination of the Mack Pinnacle (both CHU and CXU)

Keep in mind that White/Gmc and Autocar were "dying" brands. Just like Brockway, Diamond Rio, Marmon, Sterling, etc. They just didn't have the market share to allow them to survive. When Volvo bought those companies (White/Gmc and Autocar), they were giving them another shot, when they didn't perform, they were phased out.

I look around at the trucks in my area, and 50% of them are "old" so to speak, and they are primarily Mack, Peterbilt, and KW. There are some Autocars and such around, but they are by no means very popular.

If the Mack branded Volvos continue to be a popular, well performing, truck, I see no reason why Volvo would consider phasing the brand out at the risk of loosing all those customers entirely. I know the Macks of today aren't the Macks of yesterday, but what truck is? All brands of trucks have been outfitted with electronics, plastic, and other cheaper products. New trucks don't compare to old trucks in terms of build quality. Its a fact of life.

"i would go out of business before going to volvo "

You may feel this way but the executives at Volvo don't hear it or don't care. I work for the company and feel I'm pretty outspoken about my feelings. There is a line I can't cross because I still need this job (until they move). Tell the company how you feel as customers. (although it's probably to late)

"The customer is the foundation of the business" It's on the back of all Mack business cards.

There is now way Mack will be the same in Greensboro. I'm in the middle a fighting a design change that Volvo has engineered on the Mack's. None of the Mack engineers feel it is the right solution for our Mack Trucks. Mack had this design ten years ago and went away from it. So far we have been told Volvo has done it for years so its going on 2010 trucks.

I feel passionate about the company I work for. I have pride in the Mack brand. That is something that does not exists in Volvo.

"i would go out of business before going to volvo "

You may feel this way but the executives at Volvo don't hear it or don't care. I work for the company and feel I'm pretty outspoken about my feelings. There is a line I can't cross because I still need this job (until they move). Tell the company how you feel as customers. (although it's probably to late)

"The customer is the foundation of the business" It's on the back of all Mack business cards.

There is now way Mack will be the same in Greensboro. I'm in the middle a fighting a design change that Volvo has engineered on the Mack's. None of the Mack engineers feel it is the right solution for our Mack Trucks. Mack had this design ten years ago and went away from it. So far we have been told Volvo has done it for years so its going on 2010 trucks.

I feel passionate about the company I work for. I have pride in the Mack brand. That is something that does not exists in Volvo.

It really shows in the product with Volvo that there is no pride or passion on the part of the employees. That is unfortunate however I have found that it is all to common with anything these days. Maybe you should let the executives read this thread and then they will have a good idea about how people feel on this. Mack trucks in my opinion is a company that is steeped in tradition and pride, while I agree the new Macks are not the same as yesterdays they are still a damn good work truck. Macks are built to go to work not just look like theyre going to work. Volvo needs to realize Mack customers are for the most part very brand loyal. The selling of HQ and the obvious people such as yourself that will lose thier jobs will obviously change the truck hence changing the way alot of customers run thier business. This is not unoticed by Mack customers in the midwest around here people are planning on and purchasing used Macks with future needs in mind. Alot of parts vendors are also picking up the PAI line of aftermarket Mack parts. What Volvo did and the people they will leave behind ia a slap in the face to all Mack customers!!!!!!!

Maybe you should let the executives read this thread and then they will have a good idea about how people feel on this.

The problem with modern corporate culture is it that the personal relationship between the company and customer has been severed. Many times the execs at the top do not have any prior experience or involvement with the business sector they are currently in control of. They just need to know one thing: how to make money. Profits increase company value which drives share prices up. That's about all there is to it for them. As long as the share holders are happy with increased dividends they (execs) don't care what the product/brand is or what it stands for. Volvo execs are in Sweden, practically on the other side of the world. You think they care what any of us think? All they know is Mack has a significant foot hold in the vocational market which complements their strong over the road sales. That equals $$$$$$ for them which increases their market share, which increses their company value and finally increases their disgustingly high salary/ bonous etc. They can make more money in a year then most of us put together will see in a life time.

The following Mack attributes do not matter in a money sense:

History - how many great structures, road sand cities have deen built on the back of bulldogs? But that does not really mean anything, as long as you have a product to sell you can ride that name.

Driveline - Mack components dont sell as much as Volvo/Eaton/Meritor on a global scale. They could easily be cut out in the future and replaced with Volvo/3rd party components.

Engine - Mack engines were once the best but the ASET showed us you cant always teach an old dog new tricks. Why reinvent the wheel when you already have modern engines ready to roll? Enter the MP series.

Design - The Volvo cab is not only comfortable but built with the highest safety standards in mind. Which is better to sell and will decrease the likely hood of exposure to liability suits? Rumor has it when the Mayflower-Mack contract expires Volvo will replace the Mack cab with their own. At that point what is the difference between a Mack and Volvo besides the hood? Autocar anyone?

Customer - A truck is a tool. A customer is a wallet. As long as they open their wallets to buy the tools for the job then money is being made. There are many people who arent that brand loyal, they just want a good product. Volvo and Mack products are known to be very Durable (contrary to what people here want to believe). They will sell reguardless.

In the end this is all it boils down to.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

The problem with modern corporate culture is it that the personal relationship between the company and customer has been severed. Many times the execs at the top do not have any prior experience or involvement with the business sector they are currently in control of. They just need to know one thing: how to make money. Profits increase company value which drives share prices up. That's about all there is to it for them. As long as the share holders are happy with increased dividends they (execs) don't care what the product/brand is or what it stands for. Volvo execs are in Sweden, practically on the other side of the world. You think they care what any of us think? All they know is Mack has a significant foot hold in the vocational market which complements their strong over the road sales. That equals $$$$$$ for them which increases their market share, which increses their company value and finally increases their disgustingly high salary/ bonous etc. They can make more money in a year then most of us put together will see in a life time.

The following Mack attributes do not matter in a money sense:

History - how many great structures, road sand cities have deen built on the back of bulldogs? But that does not really mean anything, as long as you have a product to sell you can ride that name.

Driveline - Mack components dont sell as much as Volvo/Eaton/Meritor on a global scale. They could easily be cut out in the future and replaced with Volvo/3rd party components.

Engine - Mack engines were once the best but the ASET showed us you cant always teach an old dog new tricks. Why reinvent the wheel when you already have modern engines ready to roll? Enter the MP series.

Design - The Volvo cab is not only comfortable but built with the highest safety standards in mind. Which is better to sell and will decrease the likely hood of exposure to liability suits? Rumor has it when the Mayflower-Mack contract expires Volvo will replace the Mack cab with their own. At that point what is the difference between a Mack and Volvo besides the hood? Autocar anyone?

Customer - A truck is a tool. A customer is a wallet. As long as they open their wallets to buy the tools for the job then money is being made. There are many people who arent that brand loyal, they just want a good product. Volvo and Mack products are known to be very Durable (contrary to what people here want to believe). They will sell reguardless.

In the end this is all it boils down to.

I agree fully with your last statement. A truck is a tool and in the vocational industry here in the midwest people are looking for "real Macks". As Volvo picks Mack apart sales will continue to drop marketshare will decrease and therefore it does matter and should matter to the execs whos salaries will be affected. As far as safety goes I really must disagree I have seen four in the past year that have been in serious collisions drivers were hurt trucks were totalled! Two 01 CHs also in severe collisions trucks were badly damaged and drivers were shook up. Both Macks were repaired by us at the shop and put back in service,Volvos were taken by insurance company and scrapped. Volvos were 06. So my point is even a half a Mack (eaton trans and rear ends) is a better product than a full Volvo. This is what the execs should be paying attention to. People in general especially corporate America should look more at the forest and less at the trees! Companies are not just numbers theyre PEOPLE and that matters in my book. It also translates into a far superior product. Salaries and blueprints dont build companies people do!!!! Companies like Mack Truck are not just bussinesses they are part of a dying breed of American institutions!

This is what I feel it boils down to the people who are affected by the slow destruction of this all American Company!

Edited by Brad C

I agree fully with your last statement. A truck is a tool and in the vocational industry here in the midwest people are looking for "real Macks". As Volvo picks Mack apart sales will continue to drop marketshare will decrease and therefore it does matter and should matter to the execs whos salaries will be affected. As far as safety goes I really must disagree I have seen four in the past year that have been in serious collisions drivers were hurt trucks were totalled! Two 01 CHs also in severe collisions trucks were badly damaged and drivers were shook up. Both Macks were repaired by us at the shop and put back in service,Volvos were taken by insurance company and scrapped. Volvos were 06. So my point is even a half a Mack (eaton trans and rear ends) is a better product than a full Volvo. This is what the execs should be paying attention to. People in general especially corporate America should look more at the forest and less at the trees! Companies are not just numbers theyre PEOPLE and that matters in my book. It also translates into a far superior product. Salaries and blueprints dont build companies people do!!!! Companies like Mack Truck are not just bussinesses they are part of a dying breed of American institutions!

This is what I feel it boils down to the people who are affected by the slow destruction of this all American Company!

Mainly for me anyway It has taken any pride I had in the product I have worked on for the passed 30 years and chucked it down the tube!The above statment ,the hood and the bulldog on it I stated 2 years ago this will happen in my opinion, there aint much left now you need only get on your creeper and coast under a mack and a volvo and you will have a hard time seeing many diffrences.Once the cab is gone it will be the same old same old. Autocar GM White volvo mack!

Had they left in place some of the solid mack tried and true ideas in the construction stuff they would still have somthng to brag on! BUT that aint gona happen.

there riding on the coat tails of a once Great product subsituting rubish in its place!

Mainly for me anyway It has taken any pride I had in the product I have worked on for the passed 30 years and chucked it down the tube!The above statment ,the hood and the bulldog on it I stated 2 years ago this will happen in my opinion, there aint much left now you need only get on your creeper and coast under a mack and a volvo and you will have a hard time seeing many diffrences.Once the cab is gone it will be the same old same old. Autocar GM White volvo mack!

Had they left in place some of the solid mack tried and true ideas in the construction stuff they would still have somthng to brag on! BUT that aint gona happen.

there riding on the coat tails of a once Great product subsituting rubish in its place!

What this will do is make the history, restoration, preservation, and collection of all things Mack just that much more meaningful. There are few icons that have such a passionate following as the Mack. At a show a few years ago a fellow came up to me and was upset with my playing of truck songs especially all of the old Mack songs. I told him that if they had sung songs about other truck brands I would play them too!! I am looking at my bulldog.......Diesel laying at my feet snoring away. He has no idea of the legacy his breed inspired to be part of a once proud and strong America! An America that was proud of it's ingenuity and products that were built to last. That took care of it's people who labored for it. Now it just fast talking politics and money making greed. You cannot tell me that Volvo could not have preserved an identity for Mack by keeping a presence in the HQ and leasing out the remaining space. And or leasing space back to preserve a dignity and expectation that a loyal following of customers have. Mack kept an office in the NY empire state building for many years just for that reason.

Edited by mackdaddy

What this will do is make the history, restoration, preservation, and collection of all things Mack just that much more meaningful. There are few icons that have such a passionate following as the Mack. At a show a few years ago a fellow came up to me and was upset with my playing of truck songs especially all of the old Mack songs. I told him that if they had sung songs about other truck brands I would play them too!! I am looking at my bulldog.......Diesel laying at my feet snoring away. He has no idea of the legacy his breed inspired to be part of a once proud and strong America! An America that was proud of it's ingenuity and products that were built to last. That took care of it's people who labored for it. Now it just fast talking politics and money making greed. You cannot tell me that Volvo could not have preserved an identity for Mack by keeping a presence in the HQ and leasing out the remaining space. And or leasing space back to preserve a dignity and expectation that a loyal following of customers have. Mack kept an office in the NY empire state building for many years just for that reason.

I have to add my two cents to this discusion. I WILL NEVER OWN A VOLVO. Long live :MackLogo:

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

I'll bet in five years Volvo Group will be in financial trouble looking to divest acquisitions with Mack Trucks being one of them.

I don't see the name Mack Trucks Inc. going the way of others; Just another reincarnation in the future.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Amen my friend. Its more than just the truck and the name its what it represents!!!!!!!!! :mack1::mack1::mack1::clap::SMOKIE-LFT::SMOKIE-RT:

Hi

I have read many books about the history of Mack trucks from the beginnings in 1900, From my research I have found that all through Mack's history it has been bought and sold several times. About every time it is bought it's treated like a cash cow and milked dry, then sold to the next group. I agree that Volvo owning Mack sickens me but I believe that Mack truck will survive and to be sold to the next person, just as before. So have hope my brothers!!! the bulldog is a survivor!!

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

Hi

I have read many books about the history of Mack trucks from the beginnings in 1900, From my research I have found that all through Mack's history it has been bought and sold several times. About every time it is bought it's treated like a cash cow and milked dry, then sold to the next group. I agree that Volvo owning Mack sickens me but I believe that Mack truck will survive and to be sold to the next person, just as before. So have hope my brothers!!! the bulldog is a survivor!!

Fred

But the constatant trough the times will be gone...Allentown

Like the gentlemaen refered to earlier it's all about return on investemnet. The bean counters and as I call them Educated Fools have made decisions in the offices and consequences aren't kept in mind. This is now a Country of non serviceable parts and has a throw away mentality. Pride in your job? Shit, this has become every man for himself. I am just glad my 89 year old grandfather and my parents raised me not to be a sheep.What is going on is unacceptable and the granite faces on Rushmore would be apauld. Loyalty, besides for a select few is also a thing of the past. Wal Mart mentality Bigger Cheaper and Faster the hell with longevity!