Help finding R Model information for old central NY company.

Greetings.  I have been lurking on the site for some time and was hoping I might get some help from all you experts.

The short version: Does anyone have suggestions for how I might track down any information about the specific trucks owned by Cayuga Bulk Service, Inc.

The longer version: My grandfather was president of Cayuga Bulk Service, Inc., a bulk trucking company based in upstate NY, from when he founded the company in 1952 to when he sold it in 1995.  My father drove for the company for many years when I was a kid.  I still have very clear, fond memories of the sights, smell, and sound of those beautiful trucks.  During my childhood, his fleet was almost exclusively R model day cab tractors.  Around the end of his time with the company, he had a couple Superliners and CH600 series tractors, some with sleepers.

As I have gotten older, I have fallen in love with the idea of restoring an R model tractor identical to the tractors my grandfather and father drove back in the day.  I don't know what I would do with it if I actually succeeded in this endeavor but that's a question for later.  In a perfect world, I could find one of his actual trucks but I doubt many of them are still around.  One with similar/identical specs would work.  I have no experience with heavy commercial trucks but consider myself reasonably capable and can learn.  I believe the trucks were all purchased from the Beam Mack dealership in Syracuse, NY.

I recognize this is not very much information.  Does anyone have any thoughts on how I might track down information on these trucks?  Google has not been helpful and I'm open to ideas.  Thank you in advance for your help, kind strangers.

• Like 2

Alex

fortunately for you , the Family history is more motivation then most have.  to just buy a truck close and stare at it at shows is great . having your goals of keeping history alive will conquer all. will take time . being your location shows FL while searching for a new england fleet / info makes as your finding out more challenging. being in the NY area  going to local shows would possibly gain info just by conversation.  I worked at a CT Mack dealer '69=75 ; can't recall that fleet name .also to duplicate the R model , any pictures of an actual truck would help. single axle/ tandem etc. drive train wouldn't be as important. your goal is appearance duplication 

This fleet was probably around The Finger Lakes in New York. Likely Lake Cayuga and was involved in salt one way or another.  Most of those fleets, the trucks rusted away to nothing. There were a lot of guys employed by them though, and some are probably still around. Lots of Macks were used in those operations .  If Armo's lucky, Brocky might have some input on this subject.

• Like 1

salt trucks rusted away to nothing OR were shipped over seas where they were like brand new . recently looked at a superliner which I knew the fleet . never thought salt could jack a double frame under the fifth wheel to separate over 3/4 of inch. trucks not bad shape ,but no possible way to save frame. don't think new owner will expense the job. it was bought as a parts truck for his other super .

I cannot help much although I was born and raised in the Ithaca area. I remember Cayuga Rock Salt and my family knew a family who worked in the mines. I moved out of the area in the mid 60's and like has been said above most of those trucks have probably rusted away to nothing.. My best thought is to find a decent R model and have it painted in Cayuga livery.

Brocky

Thanks for the thoughts and questions. All of the tractors my grandfather had were tandem axle trucks. He got most of his business (when I was around) moving bulk grain/feed between Watertown and Buffalo, NY. He obviously had a lot of trucks over that long timespan but most of my memories were in the mid to late 80s so those are the tractors I’m focused on  I’ll see if I can find a photo somewhere  

Great points about the salt. I’d be happy with a comparable truck to build up like the old company ones. I live in Florida now but have spent a career (that’s still going) in the military so I won’t be here long. My mom still lives in central NY so getting back up there isn’t tough. 

• Like 1

Alex

I would suggest contacting local chapters of the ATCA and ATHS in the areas of your company. Members may have direct knowledge or know some former drivers. Local Historical societies may also be of help with archive information of the company, photographs, locations anf names of people that worked for them. Ask around, you never know what you might uncover.

• Like 1

If you happen to be in upstate NY the second weekend of August go to the Brockway Weekend in Cortland / Homer NY and start visiting with people.

• Like 2

Brocky

Good luck man I was thinking about trying to find my pops old ride myself back in the 80s but I moved to California 45 years ago kind of hard to do  …..these days with the internet is a little easier good luck… bob

10 minutes ago, yarnall said:

I don’t know if Brocky gave you the best advice.  The brockway guys are really nice until you start talking about Macks.  
Good luck in your search.  Mike 

I went to Cortland last year, looking forward to this year- if I'm still around;; one of the best shows. I went "incognito; no Mack advertising shirt. LOL; possibly try another approach with asking about the company - not a Mack?? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, james j neiweem said:

I remember a lot of orange R's with red fenders in that area hauling bulk trailers. Might have been a different company though.

They might have been the Fort something(??) fleet out of the north side of Albany NY by lake George????????

Brocky

Posted (edited)

Brocky, you would be thinking of Fort Edward Express, once huge but not now so much. They were big in all petroleum especially #6 Black Oil and Propane, and also house Carrier for Glens Falls Cement. They still operate but a shadow of themselves.

Edited by dockmen027
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2024 at 8:43 AM, james j neiweem said:

I remember a lot of orange R's with red fenders in that area hauling bulk trailers. Might have been a different company though.

Cayuga Bulk Service was all navy blue tractors with white letters. Most of the trailers were either grain hoppers or walking floor bulk trailers. My grandpa was loyal to Mack tractors and Fruehauf trailers. He had a few other trailers but that’s what I remember.

Back then, his trucks looked very similar to those from Barr Transportation which might  still be around. I’m still searching for photos. 

Thank you again for so many responses. I’ll get more info to you as soon as I can find some. 

Alex

Posted (edited)

Another lead might be Level Green Transportation (Paul Crispell) outside the hamlet Caroline NY.. I do Not know if they have a Brooktondale, Berkshire or Newark Valley address. They are right in the corner where they all meet.. The older kids went to Newark Valley to high school and the younger ones went to Ithaca..They also are in the Agri trucking business and might know of Cayuga?????

Edited by Brocky

Brocky

Since they were in the feed and grain business and NOT the Rock Salt I first assumed possibly some of their equipment is still around..

• Like 1

Brocky

20 hours ago, Armo325 said:

Cayuga Bulk Service was all navy blue tractors with white letters. Most of the trailers were either grain hoppers or walking floor bulk trailers. My grandpa was loyal to Mack tractors and Fruehauf trailers. He had a few other trailers but that’s what I remember.

Back then, his trucks looked very similar to those from Barr Transportation which might  still be around. I’m still searching for photos. 

Thank you again for so many responses. I’ll get more info to you as soon as I can find some. 

Barr is pretty much switched over to Freightliners.  Still same blue though.