Chev C60

I really like that . Old GM's and Chevs are always on my radar . There has been some old low milage firetrucks , that body style around here that I have wanted to buy. Unfortunately , they are more $$$ than the budget will allow.

Is the dash the same as our north American C60's just reversed for driving on the right ?  

• Like 1

Keith 

I sent a lot of time driving those things.  Had good power with a 366 or 427 gas engine, great turning radius if the wheelbase wasn't too long.  Didn't like changing the spark plugs if the truck had air brakes.

• Like 1

Would that 292 happen to be carbureted or fuel Injected? Does it have the integrated head/exhaust manifold like the later 240s we had here? And what in the world is swan water? 

Dad had a C10 pickup that was one of the last years for the 240 before they went to the V6. Was great on the highway with the limited slip but I think that odd intergrated head cracked and took it out of commission. 

20 hours ago, BOBWhite said:

Would that 292 happen to be carbureted or fuel Injected? Does it have the integrated head/exhaust manifold like the later 240s we had here? And what in the world is swan water? 

Dad had a C10 pickup that was one of the last years for the 240 before they went to the V6. Was great on the highway with the limited slip but I think that odd intergrated head cracked and took it out of commission. 

I don't think the 292's ever had the integrated head/manifold.  I only saw 250's with that, both 1 bbl. and 2 bbl. with split exhaust manifolds.  The 2 bbl. versions ran pretty good and didn't seem to crack as bad as the earlier 1 bbl.'s.  The 4 bbl. 4.3L V-6 was much better though. 

2 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

I don't think the 292's ever had the integrated head/manifold.  I only saw 250's with that, both 1 bbl. and 2 bbl. with split exhaust manifolds.  The 2 bbl. versions ran pretty good and didn't seem to crack as bad as the earlier 1 bbl.'s.  The 4 bbl. 4.3L V-6 was much better though. 

Oops I got my Fords and Chevys mixed up I meant 250.:pat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Evening everyone, late reply, been busy

Snowdog, Im pretty sure the dash is reversed, except for the cluster

292 is carby with electronic ignition 

The last one I had I bought a offenhauser 4 barrel inlet manifold in from the states and had it port match to a head that was taken out to a Yella Terra stage three 202 head specs, this done by "head stud  development" Melbourne 25 years ago, had a set of rods shot peened and balanced with the crank

Block had liners pushed in, and a set of forged flat top pistons, 10-1 compression and on lpg

Only got that far and all these parts are under the bench Im pretty sure waiting for someone to pull his finger out

The 292 is really pretty gutless for this big a truck but still, it's different 

Sorry I took my owm topic off the rails, a bad case of Joeyitus lol

Swanwater is as described, a area town sort of

Most of the exhaust manifolds never last on big sixes in Australia, we put extractors on, like your headers only longer sleaker and tuned to length

Trying track down a overdrive box for it at the moment and I'll see were I go from there

So on spicer trans mission, to decode the transmission

First numbers are torque rating

Then the next number is the number of gears

The number after that is the material the transmissions are made out of

And the letters at the end are the gear set, direct, over drive and so on

So does any of this soundcorrect, do we have any Spicer experts on here ?

Paul

• Like 2

way back when i was much younger we had 2 of them. one was a 20 foot box single axle with 453 detroit, 5 speed trans and 2 speed rear. 

the other was a 453 turbo 26 foot box tandem axle 5 speed eaton overdrive trans. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I was stunned to learn that 453 T was sold in them new in the U.S. 

Only option was a 292 Mexican 6

I was thinking along the lines of a 3208 or tripple trouble Cummins

But that's a way off yet

Paul 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BOBWhite said:

Wow that's a looker! Original tires on that rig too? 

Thanks   I assume they are original. The engines is not. I think it was run low on oil and replaced.  

Edited by yarnall

10 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I was stunned to learn that 453 T was sold in them new in the U.S. 

Only option was a 292 Mexican 6

I was thinking along the lines of a 3208 or tripple trouble Cummins

But that's a way off yet

Paul 

Paul, they were also offered with the detroit 4 stoke "fuel pincher" 8.2 diesel.

totally gutless pigs, but the power companys loved them because they would not go fast enough for the drivers to get pulled over for speeding.

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

yes sir.....thats definately one of my favorites thanks for that...bob

On 3/19/2024 at 8:38 PM, BOBWhite said:

Oops I got my Fords and Chevys mixed up I meant 250.:pat:

i was wondering about that.....i have actually owned both at one time...bob

On 3/18/2024 at 7:37 PM, Joey Mack said:

Me Too...  Snowdog

there's one few miles from me in CT. don't know a thing about it. has a 15=20 ft box on back , looks to be sitting for ?????? yrs . don't know exact model , never saw any activity in or out of house . wasn't aware the C series had such interest.

I Brought up a buddy of mine was driving something like that way back around 1980  leaves Salem and go to Sturbridge every day. I don’t know exactly what he was doing.he used to haul steel… straight truck .. bob