Ford Means Business In Big Trucks

kscarbel2

3 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

Well, when Edsel was designing the Model A, Henry was NOT impressed as he thought the model T to be the perfect car and needed no changes so..............As far as that truck goes, I could only drive it in the dark as I would be embarrassed to be seen driving such an ugly POS.....but that is just me.

I feel it's a great looking truck. I'm very proud of Ford's global heavy truck business. I know that Bill Ford is. He took a chance with financing the F-Max, i.e. investing in taking Ford International to the next level, and it has paid off !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davehummell said:

Henry Ford was wrong on his thinking the Model A was an improvement. I have drove a model T and it is fun but I own a 31 Model A coupe and I will put over a hundred miles on a Sunday drive  I wouldn't do that with the T I drove. But for real fun I built a 32 ford pickup with a 302 ford v-8 that is zippy.

Yes Henry was wrong but Edsel saw that Ford was being left in the dust by all the other manufacturers and hit it out of the park with the Model A. In fact, the new car was such a departure from the previous that they decided to start back at "A" again rather than calling it the model "U". While I have never driven a model T I am somewhat familiar with them and concur with your conclusions. Since we live 30 miles from the nearest town, every time we take out our "A" fordor, we put at LEAST 60 miles on it and a couple hundred miles trips are not uncommon. I. fact, we had a wedding to go to this fall which was 500 miles away and had planned to take the Model A but time constraints killed that plan since it would take twice as long to get there and back. Interestingly, we also have a hotrodded pickup as well but ours is a '31 Model A with a SBC. Our Fords are the "A" team and the Macks are the "B" team. 

5 hours ago, JoeH said:

Agreed that looks like a truck for Europe. 

Always thought those MANN and SCANIA trucks were butt ugly and putting a blue oval on the front does nothing to improve the locks. There is just not enough chrome and/or accessories to dress up those pigs IMO, but, again, that's just me. My heart lies with a well appointed 379L but, again, that's just me. For those that like the "European" look, good on ya, the new Ford will be a fine addition to the stable. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, davehummell said:

Henry Ford was wrong on his thinking the Model A was an improvement. I have drove a model T and it is fun but I own a 31 Model A coupe and I will put over a hundred miles on a Sunday drive  I wouldn't do that with the T I drove. But for real fun I built a 32 ford pickup with a 302 ford v-8 that is zippy.

Well Dave thx..I get so tired of going to shows and there is a beautiful 32..With the distributor on the wrong end😎

On 12/5/2023 at 10:35 AM, Licensed to kill said:

Well, when Edsel was designing the Model A, Henry was NOT impressed as he thought the model T to be the perfect car and needed no changes so..............As far as that truck goes, I could only drive it in the dark as I would be embarrassed to be seen driving such an ugly POS.....but that is just me.

Well I guess if you were in Europe you would be working on the dock loading ALL of the ugly trucks😎

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Red Horse said:

I get so tired of going to shows and there is a beautiful 32..With the distributor on the wrong end😎

Reminds me of a time years ago when I took the wife's '28 Model A TUDOR to town. Parked on the street to go get something and a guy came up as I was getting out of the car and said "Nice car but why did you put a SBC in a Ford car?", I replied, "what kind of motor did you put in your Model A?", he said "I don't have a Model A", I said "exactly" and turned and went into the store. Main reason I RARELY put anything in car shows (I have but only to support those putting on the show), I don't own them to please others and don't really care what others think.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Well I guess if you were in Europe you would be working on the dock loading ALL of the ugly trucks😎

You would be guessing wrong. If I was living in Europe (which I would NEVER do) I would not be doing anything different than I am now. Since I have no desire to be a longshoremen in Canada, what makes you think I would want to be one anywhere else???. 

On 12/5/2023 at 7:43 AM, kscarbel2 said:

I feel it's a great looking truck. I'm very proud of Ford's global heavy truck business. I know that Bill Ford is. He took a chance with financing the F-Max, i.e. investing in taking Ford International to the next level, and it has paid off !

It has a  uncanny resemblance to the cab over of the 80s ! We used to called them the Pac-man due to the 4 corner air bag system on the cab! they road like floating on a cloud! While beneath the chassis can be getting pounded to hell!  

1 hour ago, fjh said:

It has a  uncanny resemblance to the cab over of the 80s ! We used to called them the Pac-man due to the 4 corner air bag system on the cab! they road like floating on a cloud! While beneath the chassis can be getting pounded to hell!  

Yes that was the "CL" that replaced the square W series.  If you met one coming at you on an interstate off ramp the cab tilted so much you would have thought it was going to roll over. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

Reminds me of a time years ago when I took the wife's '28 Model A TUDOR to town. Parked on the street to go get something and a guy came up as I was getting out of the car and said "Nice car but why did you put a SBC in a Ford car?", I replied, "what kind of motor did you put in your Model A?", he said "I don't have a Model A", I said "exactly" and turned and went into the store. Main reason I RARELY put anything in car shows (I have but only to support those putting on the show), I don't own them to please others and don't really care what others think.

Note my smiley.  You are right ..You really set that dumb shit straight.  You felt good and he probably said to  himself, "sorry I asked".  The usual stock answer to that question most guys at shows give with a laugh, when asked that question..."because SBC's have always been the most cost effective mod..plenty around and mod parts are plentiful-but Fords are slowly catching up".  And the guy asking the question will have learned something.

And as for my comment on working the dock in Europe, the translation of that is ...All Euro trucks look the same.  Cab overs and no conventionals.

Your "handle" says  it all.

4 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Note my smiley.  You are right ..You really set that dumb shit straight.  You felt good and he probably said to  himself, "sorry I asked".  The usual stock answer to that question most guys at shows give with a laugh, when asked that question..."because SBC's have always been the most cost effective mod..plenty around and mod parts are plentiful-but Fords are slowly catching up".  And the guy asking the question will have learned something.

And as for my comment on working the dock in Europe, the translation of that is ...All Euro trucks look the same.  Cab overs and no conventionals.

Your "handle" says  it all.

Everything you said about the SBC is correct. They are referred to as belly button engines because everyone has one. The funny thing is, when it comes to pre-war cars, guys scoff at the SBC and beam with pride over their flathead ford power (rightfully so) either not realizing or not acknowledging that before 1955, the flathead Ford was the hotrod belly button motor for all the same reasons that SBC has been since. I suspect that prior to 1955 there was no shortage of guys yawning at every flathead they saw at car shows as they were in everything. BTW, my handle refers to my occupation as a licensed pesticide applicator so I am literally “Licensed to kill”

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

Everything you said about the SBC is correct. They are referred to as belly button engines because everyone has one. The funny thing is, when it comes to pre-war cars, guys scoff at the SBC and beam with pride over their flathead ford power (rightfully so) either not realizing or not acknowledging that before 1955, the flathead Ford was the hotrod belly button motor for all the same reasons that SBC has been since. I suspect that prior to 1955 there was no shortage of guys yawning at every flathead they saw at car shows as they were in everything. BTW, my handle refers to my occupation as a licensed pesticide applicator so I am literally “Licensed to kill”

Hah..ok thought you  were referring to a "license to carry" as we have in States😎