4v vs 2v interchangeability

Macktruckman

Lol. That’s what they told me. One guy especially, my best friend I call him my brother. He’s good. His most experience is with C-15, 3406E and C-12. Also 60 series and isx. But like I said earlier there aren’t many Mack’s here so he just hasn’t worked on those much at all. Given some time he’ll figure anything out. He stays really busy so I try not to bother him unless I have to, but if I ask he’s there as soon as he can. He is very concerned about that counter bore. He’s also on board helping me change to an E7. He likes cats so he even believes he can make a C-12 run in the old R. Lol

• Like 1

Looks like I'm late to the party. Had a few busy days and they're supposed to follow.

That crack in the liner could be made by combustion pressure applied to the liner wall which was not completely against the bore surface. Repair liners are made of larger OD which means you bore the bores to larger ID. Which could be understood as the bores get damage getting out of shape. When I measured bores of my E6 block all 6 were slightly out of round and all were larger left to right in the block than front to rear. Seemed like the block was "pulled out" by pistons forced by connecting rods when they're in leaned position. My block was within the tolerances and that's for a hooby truck so no much worry. But if I were going to make money with it I'd be a machine shop customer having a set of oversized liners in a trunk.

Speaking the counterbores Mack recommends a hand tool which is actually a circle cutter you install on the deck and scratch the existing counterbore turning the cutter by hand. Than what it's of even depth but deeper than specified you add shims (if I'm not wrong).

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

And you can not put a E9 in R600 chassis. At least by factory way. Superliner has longer hood (and different shape of the front portion of the frame rails). Mack produced R700 and RS/RL700 models with longer hoods and offered those with V8's. No E9 options were offered there but the reason was the production years. 

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Thanks guys I am sure I have a bore and or counterbore problem but it needed out of the shop it was in and it has a job it doesn’t need to miss out on this week and next so there wasn’t time and money last week to rebuild the engine right. I have my heart set on changing to different engine anyway so I put one liner in and it was in fact .020 over already so I just bought the same part number and stuck it in. The obvious problem that caused it to go in the shop was front head gasket so that’s fixed. I’ll use it now and be hunting an engine. I’d like to gather all the pieces I need and rebuild one right and not hurry and when it’s ready we’ll swap them out over a weekend or something. 
Josh

Hi Josh I just replied to you message. The 2v and 4v share the same bottom ends but there’s a huge advantage with the 4v heads, better economy, more grunt and smoother running over the 2v and I can’t recall seeing a cracked 4v head. Then came the E7. I think the heads remained the same but the stroke increased about 1/2 inch and the bottom end is visually heavier ( crank, rods ) the extra stroke Mack’s contained in the bottom end without increasing the block height, actually the E6 and E7 share the same dimensions. We have found the E7 bolts right in where the E6 was removed without any modifications. Your truck looks great and if it were me I would repower, we repowered our 2 Valueliners as didn’t want to be tied down to computers and the associated problems. 
Steve 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...