4v vs 2v interchangeability

Macktruckman

Have an E6 2v head I believe has a head gasket leaking compression into the coolant system. I might have access to some 4 valve heads. Could a person put 4 valve heads on my old 2 valve engine? If it’s going to have the heads off anyway I was curious of the differences. Thank you all in advance. 

21 hours ago, Macktruckman said:

Have an E6 2v head I believe has a head gasket leaking compression into the coolant system. I might have access to some 4 valve heads. Could a person put 4 valve heads on my old 2 valve engine? If it’s going to have the heads off anyway I was curious of the differences. Thank you all in advance. 

Probably depends if the 4 valve heads are for a E6 or E7 engine.   terry:MackLogo:

I wish I was smarter on these differences, but i think the liner protrusion is a different shape/style between E-6 and E-7.  the 4V heads have a fire ring groove to seal the fire ring to the top of the liner, that I beleive the E-6 (2V) doesnt have..  Man I wish I could just blurt it out like I can on an E-Tech..

here are 2 pics from my books,  E-6 + E-7  I was also thinking about bore diameter..

KIMG2145.JPG

KIMG2144.JPG

Edited by Joey Mack
Pour sperring

ok.  i wasnt sure...  I had to go out to my shop to look at the 2V heads that I have and the gasket sets. they have grooves and rings, but i thought the machine shop added them.  for updated head gaskets..   I guess I need to go ahead and build that E-6 after I finish the E-Tech that is in there now.  Thanks, Jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
Pour sperring
  • Like 1

Yup you get on that bro! 😁I'm Going to go play on the Case for a bit today Tring to get some seat time been busy with other stuff lately winters coming and got to get my wood shed full! If we don't get burned out here. the whole dam province is on fire ! We have been spared here So far However if its only a mater of time If the heat keeps up!     A lot of stupid people out there !  Not to mention the accidental shit that happens Car fires etc. that can cause a hell fire! The last major fire here on VI was in the 1800s  WE ARE DUE! 

• Sad 1

10-4..  I have been trying to get some repairs on the house, additions an improvements to my shop, and some relaxation in the pool..  when the weather cools down below the mid 90's, I will get these engines built..  It's been blazing hot. 60+ days above 90, has worn me out.  Have fun with the Case..  Jojo

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Macktruckman said:

Got around to pulling my heads. Appears to have small crack fro injector to intake valve on a couple cylinders and number 4 liner is cracked at the top pretty bad. Are these EM6-285’s wet or dry liners? Any help is much appreciated 

Should be a dry liner, i believe the E7 was the start of a wet liner.   terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

I think the injection pump timing will have to be changed, around 5 degrees I think, since you will eliminate the the econovance..  I did one a few years ago.  I also took the timing pointer on the front of the engine off the bad engine and moved it to the good engine.  I did have to drill and tap the threads in the timing cover so I could mount the pointers.  there are 2 round reliefs cast into the timing cover where the pointer goes..  fuel lines will be different.

I wish I was smarter about injection pumps..  But there are a few on here that are very smart about them..  Jojo

• Like 1

What year and model is your truck? With the right donor truck you could pick up much of what you'd need. Mack used a lot of components over and over across multiple models and decades.

What trans do you have? Might be prudent to switch to an EM7-300 if your current rig is a maxidyne.