Pictures of the Week

other dog

After cancer surgery and years of working on other equipment, I am more or less done. I still do most of my own, but when the wife's daily driver needed a fuel tank, it went off to the shop. I put new tank straps on it, but no way was I going to try and drop the tank on my back.

I have to pull the power unit from my Saab Turbo to replace the transmission, I have been putting that off for over a year. Either its too cold, too hot or another project takes precedence. Now that I have the brakes, driveshaft and fuel tanks done on my '42 K so I have something to drive, I am running out of excuses for not getting the Saab done. 

After every big job, I tell myself "no more!" if something else needs doing, either pay someone or it doesn't need doing all that bad!

• Like 2

In some ways I can understand how you feel.. I gave up truck repair 1 year ago, and took a job with my City.  I work at waste water treatment plants, doin maint.  I didn't realize how much I was NOT doing around the house while being self employed.. I just payed for a new carport,  to be installed, and had a concrete truck come in and pour a pad for me.. I would have done all of it myself in the past.  All I do in my shop now is maintain my own trucks and build engines.  It's kinda nice to set my pace now, and pick the work I want to do..  

I'm glad you are doing good after surgery, that would be a game changer for me !! Jojo

• Like 2

Funny you should mention fuel senders, that is one thing I need to do on the ;42. From what I have read 40's Fords use the same King Seeley gauges as IHC did, and a sender for them should work on the IHC gauges. The Step Tanks have the same 6 bolt sender pattern as the early Fords. Dennis Carpenter re-pop's the Ford sender.

In the 23 years I've owned the truck, it never had a working gauge. When fuel was cheaper, I just filled the 35 gal tank and kept tract of the mileage. Now with fuel where it is and a 50 gal tank, that is less appealing, A working gauge would be nice. I have the arm off the old sender for the step tank so I can mate it to the Ford sender. Later IHC's used a different gauge (old AC resistance pattern) so the original is a non-starter.

Anymore I take all my every day drivers to our shop years ago, are used to do everything myself After I got a little older, I decided wait a minute dumbass you just spent your whole weekend working on your cars ha ha 

• Like 1

I decided to not be too much of a wimp today and went and took that starter off, on the ground, in the heat. It didn't come off too easy, even with the bolts backed out it didn't want to budge until I pried on it with a large screwdriver and got it to move. I could see the problem when I got if off, the teeths on the flywheel looked pretty chewed up, and I'm pretty sure that's what made the starter hang up. 

I'm going to try a new starter and hope for the best, but it really needs a flywheel. I expected a starter to be about $40, but I'm out of touch with reality apparently. A starter was $90, with exchange. Supposed to be at NAPA in the morning, so I'll go put it on and see what happens.

PXL_20230725_145950868.thumb.jpg.4ed12a9dc773a5e5250daeba69c0ed8c.jpg

I sprayed some brake cleaner on it so it looks pretty.PXL_20230725_150022667.thumb.jpg.9ecaafc9e0ef9c793d870fa84425c6d1.jpg

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Hey bud,  take a small bastard file and dress up the teeth.. just clean up the leading edges.. the new starter will push the bedix gear deep. If there are no burrs or debris in between the teeth you will be good.. of course there may be other spots on the flywheel that need some love so put a paint mark there and roll it around and look.  Easier than pulliin a tranny in a 4X4...   Jojo

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Hey bud,  take a small bastard file and dress up the teeth.. just clean up the leading edges.. the new starter will push the bedix gear deep. If there are no burrs or debris in between the teeth you will be good.. of course there may be other spots on the flywheel that need some love so put a paint mark there and roll it around and look.  Easier than pulliin a tranny in a 4X4...   Jojo

Oh, for sure, I was dreading the thought of possibly having to do that! So, if I took like a three corner file and tried to clean those teeth a bit, is that what you mean? I used to have several three sided files, but I don't know where one is right now. I guess I can find one somewhere though. 

On 7/24/2023 at 8:53 AM, Geoff Weeks said:

After cancer surgery and years of working on other equipment, I am more or less done. I still do most of my own, but when the wife's daily driver needed a fuel tank, it went off to the shop. I put new tank straps on it, but no way was I going to try and drop the tank on my back.

I have to pull the power unit from my Saab Turbo to replace the transmission, I have been putting that off for over a year. Either its too cold, too hot or another project takes precedence. Now that I have the brakes, driveshaft and fuel tanks done on my '42 K so I have something to drive, I am running out of excuses for not getting the Saab done. 

After every big job, I tell myself "no more!" if something else needs doing, either pay someone or it doesn't need doing all that bad!

seems you wrote your 59 yrs old. heck you have  many more good yrs of wrench pushing left . at 72yrs old survived cancer surgery in '13 and open heart surgery in '15 = tack on 50 +plus yrs of wrenching  == I am qualified for "i'm more or less done ".  it's a bitch when I drop something and can't bend over to pick it up. i've been saying "no more " for yrs - now i have no choice . was asked other day + you work on side ?  first time ever I said NO.  waiting on parts for a friends farm tractor  as I write though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

Forgive me for not knowing, but do Blue Ovals require shimming the starter like Bow Ties do?

There was no shims on this one. I was happy to find just 2 bolts. When it wouldn't move I was afraid there was a third bolt back there by the engine block that I couldn't see, but nope, just those 2.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Yes....... i have a triangle file that cuts great..  

I have a flat file, but It's a big one. Probably too big to fit between the teeth. I'll see if they have a small flat file at NAPA when I get the starter. Or Tractor Supply. Better to spend some time doing that than having to pull the transmission. I'd have to pay someone to do that, I couldn't handle that by myself on the ground. I'd pull the transmission out of my Nova and put a clutch in it in an afternoon, by myself. Did it several times, but that was almost 50 years ago!

• Like 1

I know Ford parts cost more than Chevy parts, but that seems a bit high for a starter. Especially a re-man..  I see you had a core charge..