New Engine Choices

Bullheaded

I know most members here are mostly in to old Mack's, but I was curious, if you had to buy a new truck which new emissions engine would you go with?

How does the new MP Mack compare to a Cummins as far as reliability?

I haven't had a Mack since 2000 (E7460), but as far as the last trucks I ran, when it comes to the choice between Cummins and Detroit DD, I prefer Detroit. Last one I had was a 2020 but now I work as an employee since I gave up trucking and I occasionally run our float truck which has an X15 Performance.

I prefer the way the Detroit's feel, run, pull and sound. Plus have had far fewer hard part failures with Detroit than Cummins. But the Cummins seems to have a bit better functioning emission system? At least I've experienced far fewer regen issues with Cummins ISX and X15's than Detroit DD's.

Just curious where we would rate the new Volvo Mack's? Since there never seems to be much talk about the new junk.

Edited by Bullheaded

I haven't heard much about newer Volvo/Macks either. I've heard some negative about getting some parts for them though. 

I've read and seen a lot of good about the new X15 in trucks and tractors alike. To me they just look like a 90s engine before all that emissions stuff got put on them. The free resources and information about them online with quick serve's what would make me pick them. Plus every large truck shops Cummins certified. Seems like a winner to me. 

• Like 1

I find the DD series Detroit feels the most like an old Cat. They have more low end torque than a Detroit and a more old school throttle feel (though the X15 is improved from the ISX)

Plus the Detroits don't sound like a gas engine with a bad case of spark knock.

• Like 1

MP all day long, parts arnt an issue unless your local dealer sucks….which seems pretty common with a lot of you guys. Not once have I had an issue with parts. They deliver twice a day to me and if for some odd reason one of their 20 shops don’t have it they will have it overnighted to them free of charge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOBWhite said:

Wish you could still get a Detroit in a long nose truck, that would truly bring back the feel of the old cats.

Makes you wonder what the DD16 feels like with 2050 max torque over the DD15. 

LOTS more power. The DD16 600 was pretty much on par with the MP10. My friend has both in his log trucks.

And for some odd reason, at least in 2020 when I quit trucking......Detroit will only give you 1650 or 1750 torque now with a DD15 but will give you 1850 with a DD13. They had discontinued the 560/1850 DD15. Maybe that's how they were trying to lure people into a 13 litre??

And having ran both of those, 505 h.p. in a dump truck/pony at 140,000 pounds, I can say the DD13 was stronger, but the DD15 had more bottom end lugging power even at only 1650 torque.

From a dead stop, the DD15 505/1650 could out accelerate our ISX 550/1850. Same gears, tires, transmission. And it would outrun it up the hills until you made that downshift into low range on the 18 speed.....then the ISX would disappear.

Edited by Bullheaded
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

The MP engines are bulletproof....except the injectors. The bottom end is probably the best. As for emissions issues,  well, they're like everybody else. 

That's what I was wondering, is if they still had all the injector cup issues? They seem to pull well for their size?

As for the Detroit DD's only thing I had fail is the idler pulley assembly for the belts. They were $800 Canadian and plan on replacing one or two in a 5 year span.

I did have LOTS of regen issues on the 2013 but found out around 2019 it was mostly caused by the dealer. Previous times they were troubleshooting emission issues with a test light poking wire harnesses, which then corroded. But that 2013 did not like winter cold. regen every 8 hours.

The 2020, though I only drove it two summers and a winter before I quit trucking, never had any kind of issue. Seemed way better as far as emission system functioning.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

That's what I was wondering, is if they still had all the injector cup issues? They seem to pull well for their size?

As for the Detroit DD's only thing I had fail is the idler pulley assembly for the belts. They were $800 Canadian and plan on replacing one or two in a 5 year span.

I did have LOTS of regen issues on the 2013 but found out around 2019 it was mostly caused by the dealer. Previous times they were troubleshooting emission issues with a test light poking wire harnesses, which then corroded. But that 2013 did not like winter cold. regen every 8 hours.

The 2020, though I only drove it two summers and a winter before I quit trucking, never had any kind of issue. Seemed way better as far as emission system functioning.

Yup Bud ! Even Volvo Gets better with experience! At least for the most part they are willing to evolve! As long as it don't cost them to much! Imagine if they fixed the injector cup issue they could call the engine bullet proof! How ever they wouldn't be able to sell any parts because nothing would fail! as it is stuff runs long enough to get past the warranty period!😁 By this time your trapped! Buy a new truck or by overpriced parts your choice!  😡

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Well I don't know about Volvo getting better? Another blunder in my opinion.....why did they get rid of the mid roof sleeper on the new Pinnacles? There were far far many more mid roof equipped Mack's than the big high rises.

Most Mack sleeper trucks were bought for regional stuff. This is about as stupid of a move as not offering it on the Titan.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

I loved my mid rise. It was the perfect size for a logger/chip hauler/dump trailer application. Not overly big yet you could stand up in it and have a refrigerator and microwave in it.

My thought is they want to leave the girlie trucks to the Volvo end ! How ever Letting the Volvo end keep the big liter engine and not building a proper truck to pull weight on the Mack end is criminal !They needed to have left the work truck line up to the Mack end! dumped the Volvo Construction  end! How ever it don't matter  its all garbage anyway ! All vehicles these days whether it be road or off road has an extremely limited life span by design! including equipment talk about saving the environment is just lip service and the general public is blind to it! 

The last 2 trucks I drove had the X15 and ISX 500s in them,  1850 ft. lbs. torque, 18 speeds with 3.55 rears. Never had any engine issue with either one and they did a fine job. Which would be the exact opposite of the last 2 before them, a PACCAR and a C15 Cat, both of which stayed in the shop for one thing or another. That's all I got.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

On 5/7/2023 at 10:48 AM, fjh said:

My thought is they want to leave the girlie trucks to the Volvo end ! How ever Letting the Volvo end keep the big liter engine and not building a proper truck to pull weight on the Mack end is criminal !They needed to have left the work truck line up to the Mack end! dumped the Volvo Construction  end! How ever it don't matter  its all garbage anyway ! All vehicles these days whether it be road or off road has an extremely limited life span by design! including equipment talk about saving the environment is just lip service and the general public is blind to it! 

That's my biggest gripe with all the new "eco-friendly" crap, whether it be a lawn mower or a new truck.  The best way to protect the environment, in my opinion, is to make stuff LAST A LONG TIME.  When you have to make new crap because the old crap melts down, there is a much bigger footprint to that than most people know.  You have to dispose of the old crap, mine new materials for the new crap, ship the materials for the new crap, manufacture the new crap, package the new crap, ship the new crap.  It goes on and on.

But, I digress.  Rats...they got sharp tails.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

We have an X15/605hp tied to an Alison EVS4000 worldseries automatic in our new firetruck that's 73000. Granted it's not a road or local truck and we're not doing P & D's every day but it seems to be doing pretty well so far a year out. Pulls real strong up the hills of the Lehigh Valley and when you are going up a hill and the RPM's go down a little, if you turn your head just right, it kind of sounds like an E9 or 3408 with the pop pop pop pop pop pop...................LOL

T1321 2.jpg

T1321.jpg

• Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

17 hours ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

We have an X15/605hp tied to an Alison EVS4000 worldseries automatic in our new firetruck that's 73000. Granted it's not a road or local truck and we're not doing P & D's every day but it seems to be doing pretty well so far a year out. Pulls real strong up the hills of the Lehigh Valley and when you are going up a hill and the RPM's go down a little, if you turn your head just right, it kind of sounds like an E9 or 3408 with the pop pop pop pop pop pop...................LOL

T1321 2.jpg

T1321.jpg

x15 sounds horrible to my Ear ! It sounds like it could come thru the hood at any moment! just me! 

That's a nice fire truck! Big mill too!

Speaking of these new engines......wonder how the new International A13 integrated powertrain is going to be? They are making big claims. Max 1850 torque at 900 RPM, no EGR, no active regens. And their new automated 14 speed trans with no gross weight limits.

Wonder if this one will work this time?? LOL Hopefully they got more MAN and Scania working in these ones than the old MaxxFarce.

1 hour ago, Bullheaded said:

The engine is now the S13 and the transmission is now the T14.

I'm 99.99% sure that they're Both Scania sourced, & are exactly the same as the Scania Super 13 Drivetrain...

Where's kscarbel when you need him..🔎

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -