1962 B67 (Getting it Yard Moving)

welcome to BMT!!

good on you for saving another old dog!

since you have air started the electrical should be 12 volt positive ground. 

unless it was converted to negative ground sometime over the past 60 years.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

14 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

welcome to BMT!!

good on you for saving another old dog!

since you have air started the electrical should be 12 volt positive ground. 

unless it was converted to negative ground sometime over the past 60 years.

TJC, 

Much appreciated, happy to be here. Thank you for sharing the knowledge on the Voltage and polarity. 

first important question;;; where in CT is all this taking place??😁. technically by taking off  the B67 contour cab  swapping straight back it will become a B61 (or other). the 67 designation referred to contour cab , made to give more clearance for longer trailers coming into use in the day. 

it's like an untouched piece of history. the brass emergency fuel shut off still there : even if it's disconnected. perry water filter , air valve passenger side fire wall was a major discussion a while back  ; someone having tractor/ trailer air issue . mice still there and not paying rent = good air compressor and blast them out .LOL

• Haha 1

The contour cab was an option. On several models, including the B67. Most people don’t want the contour cab because of the decreased room in the cab. It would decrease the uniqueness of the truck to put a flat back cab on but not the value.  Have fun with it.  Mike 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

first important question;;; where in CT is all this taking place??😁. technically by taking off  the B67 contour cab  swapping straight back it will become a B61 (or other). the 67 designation referred to contour cab , made to give more clearance for longer trailers coming into use in the day. 

So the Truck is currently in Meriden CT, it will be going to Stratford VIA Wallingford. I work part-time for a truck repair shop and the boss gave the "okay" to tow in down to get it yard driving. I was tossing the idea of a standard cab mainly because there is another B model on site that has a decent cab, its a gas powered single axle dump truck, not sure what it is as far as numbers go.

I don't mind the contour cab...but the one on the truck I'm attempting to save is going to need A LOT of sheet metal work, and that assessment is even before pulling the front windscreens off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brocky said:

In reference to switching the hubs / wheels to hub piloted Budds: IMHO, I am more of a purist!!! Please leave the period correct Spoke / Dayton wheels on the truck!! Unless you are a freak for a lot of BLING!! Just changing the rims and tires to tubeless 22.5 radials will not be that noticeable at shows and improve the ride and handling.. Especially since you will be operating it only as a hobby vehicle with short distances traveled per trip and no or light loads..

So, I don't hate the spoke wheels. However, the main issue I have with the spoke wheels is the rims, they are VERY rusty and I doubt I'll be able to find a big truck tire shop that will dismount them let alone put new rubber on them. What rims would work on these spokes? Is there an aftermarket for replacing the old two piece wheels for tubeless?

2 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

it's like an untouched piece of history. the brass emergency fuel shut off still there : even if it's disconnected. perry water filter , air valve passenger side fire wall was a major discussion a while back  ; someone having tractor/ trailer air issue . mice still there and not paying rent = good air compressor and blast them out .LOL

If you think this truck is untouched, you should see the sister truck I picked up as a donor. Another B67, and old Pratt & Whitney truck (posted on FB "Scrap Macks" group. It still has the asbestos heat shields above the exhaust manifold, and all of the air plumbing is intact and neat, too bad the double frame is rust jacked and the cab is completely rusted away. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAvery289 said:

So, I don't hate the spoke wheels. However, the main issue I have with the spoke wheels is the rims, they are VERY rusty and I doubt I'll be able to find a big truck tire shop that will dismount them let alone put new rubber on them. What rims would work on these spokes? Is there an aftermarket for replacing the old two piece wheels for tubeless?

Just need 22.5 tubeless rims.

Is that 20 or 22" rubber on that?

10 hours ago, JAvery289 said:

So the Truck is currently in Meriden CT, it will be going to Stratford VIA Wallingford. I work part-time for a truck repair shop and the boss gave the "okay" to tow in down to get it yard driving. I was tossing the idea of a standard cab mainly because there is another B model on site that has a decent cab, its a gas powered single axle dump truck, not sure what it is as far as numbers go.

I don't mind the contour cab...but the one on the truck I'm attempting to save is going to need A LOT of sheet metal work, and that assessment is even before pulling the front windscreens off.

I'm in watertown CT ;retired. no guarantee I'd be around , appointments now and then  but could try to if you need a hand with the move send me a message ::: date/ time. 

10 hours ago, JAvery289 said:

If you think this truck is untouched, you should see the sister truck I picked up as a donor. Another B67, and old Pratt & Whitney truck (posted on FB "Scrap Macks" group. It still has the asbestos heat shields above the exhaust manifold, and all of the air plumbing is intact and neat, too bad the double frame is rust jacked and the cab is completely rusted away. 

good to hear you have a second truck to build (donor ) LOL . a P&W couldn't have been run too hard just age factor. 

10 hours ago, 66dc75 said:

Just need 22.5 tubeless rims.

Is that 20 or 22" rubber on that?

20 inch tube type converts to 22.5 tubeless

22 inch tube type converts to 24.5 tubeless

The 22.5 rims are available new.. 24.5 might be a little harder to find?? You can put some wanted ads out to find used ones.. Storage trailer companys might have some used left.. container chassis shops would also have them.

Brocky

Excellent great choice take all injectors out and soak cylinder’s with mystery oil and oil and make sure turbo spins free as far as changing wheels.. to each his own but expect alotta running around for the parts… good luck bud… Bob

11 hours ago, Brocky said:

20 inch tube type converts to 22.5 tubeless

22 inch tube type converts to 24.5 tubeless

The 22.5 rims are available new.. 24.5 might be a little harder to find?? You can put some wanted ads out to find used ones.. Storage trailer companys might have some used left.. container chassis shops would also have them.

24.5 tubeless dayton rims are available new. Purchased 6 for my truck 18 months ago. Tire shop I used had them in 4 days.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

I'm in watertown CT ;retired. no guarantee I'd be around , appointments now and then  but could try to if you need a hand with the move send me a message ::: date/ time. 

I appreciate it, I have to work out a time where I can use the small 25ton wrecker to tow the Red Mack, the Blue 'pratt' truck will need to be put on a landoll trailer. We're already working to clean up a spot in the back lot to park the trucks. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mowerman said:

Excellent great choice take all injectors out and soak cylinder’s with mystery oil and oil and make sure turbo spins free as far as changing wheels.. to each his own but expect alotta running around for the parts… good luck bud… Bob

I literally used most of the can of PB at the end of the day to spray down all of the fittings that connect to the injectors, they looked like they were going to be a fight. Most things so far have come apart pretty quickly and easily. 

Monday I'll be ordering up the main supply line that feeds the air starter from the air start tank. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mark T said:

Almost looks like a shifter for a Monoshift in that one picture.

It is a Monoshift, I was fairly surprised at it when I found out, I had initially assumed that all older Mack's had twin stick setups. The Mack Museum was able to get me the original spec sheet and this truck was built with the monoshift. The other truck (donor) has a twin stick setup. Spec_sheet.thumb.gif.77616e0d3eb878132277851debefa3df.gif

• Like 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mowerman said:

Oooooooooooooo never mind the turbo I see it’s naturally aspirated… Bob

You knew it was natural asper;;no turbo == YOU were checking to see how many were paying attention to the pictures LMAO :SMOKIE-RT:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1