Runs, then quits

Brandt

'91 EM7 starts after a bit of cranking, runs for 2 minutes at idle or  30 seconds if moving, then dies. It seems like it is running out of fuel. If I wait for 10 minutes I get to crank a bit on it, drive it for 30 seconds then it quits again. 

New supply lines and fuel pump last year. New filters when it started acting up. The return lines were not replaced and I still have the old fuel pump. I replaced the fuel pump, just because I was there doing the lines.

I'll put the old pump back on, but after that, I'm lost as to what to do next.

Edited by Brandt

a leaking suck line from the tank??  I assume it is a full mechanical Robert Bosch injection pump..   Do you have a hand primer?  If so,,,  can you pump the primer to keep it running?? 

• Like 1

one fuel tank or two ?? two tanks must have top mount equalizer  fitting . to wait 10 mins / crank and restart ? i go with the air leak on suction line ; seems odd it would pick up fuel and restart if fuel was draining back to tank . were supply lines replaced to correct loosing fuel issue ?  hair line crack on first primary filter base (suction side )??

8 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

one fuel tank or two ?? two tanks must have top mount equalizer  fitting . to wait 10 mins / crank and restart ? i go with the air leak on suction line ; seems odd it would pick up fuel and restart if fuel was draining back to tank . were supply lines replaced to correct loosing fuel issue ?  hair line crack on first primary filter base (suction side )??

(New filters when it started acting up???????) Is it possible  we got a bad filter here?

have seen filters changed  didn't realize old filter rubber washer stayed on  base. didn't seal properly. statement " new filters WHEN it started acting up. can translate that sentence a number of ways ::: new filters BECAUSE  it was acting up // or started acting up AFTER new filters. !! 

37 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

have seen filters changed  didn't realize old filter rubber washer stayed on  base. didn't seal properly. statement " new filters WHEN it started acting up. can translate that sentence a number of ways ::: new filters BECAUSE  it was acting up // or started acting up AFTER new filters. !! 

True!

2 tanks. I replaced the supply lines because it was over due.  After the lines and pump, it ran fine for 4-5000 miles. It couldn't make it up my driveway (26% grade) w/o stalling. 3 sets of fuel filters since then.  I felt around the filter base but did not visually check for o-ring remnants. I will check  vents. Don't think it is a sucking fuel line - if so, wouldn't it have shown up earlier??

All I can get is 30 seconds out of it (2minutes at idle).  Bosch pump, no manual hand primer.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

Yes have seen the same thing happen myself

Unscrew filters and check if the old o ring is stuck

I have had a gas leak LPG type of gas bottle on a house

Anyway the flare on the fitting must of been hung up on something, one day I started changing bottles a lot quicker

I checked and looked with soapy water a few times and couldn't find anything

One day I could smell something and the nut on the flared fitting was loose, I mean not even finger tight and I had checked these 

I can only put  it down to the fitting was hung on something in the nut 

It was air tight for a long time and suddenly was loose

I wonder if maybe you have a fitting like this on a suction hose 

Sorry for the long winded yarn 

Paul 

• Like 1

Electric pump..  ok.. unplug the Duetch plug and check the terminals..sometimes they loosen up and slide back into the socket and break connection.. also, make sure it is secured to the yoke that should be bolted to the gov. Housing area.. if it is loose, it will disconnect over time.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went back to the original fuel pump - no change. Checked all fuel hose fittings - no change. Loosened fuel caps and it idled for 10 minutes! Took it for a test drive with the caps off and back to square one.  I am driving 200' at a time. Wait 5 minutes, crank a lot, drive 200' more. I gotta get this load off, no way my F 350 can pull me loaded.

With the truck running,,, have you tried to wiggle the acc. relay wires and the key switch and any other wires related to starting the truck.. ? for some reason I am leaning towards a weak wire connection..  Of course. looking at the fuel delivery side is very important as well..  Did you say it ''just shuts off'' -or- does it ''die slow''? 

• Like 1

in the Mack days I had a U model which did basically same thing. days before computers/ modules etc. chased it at least three times on rode calls. driver had a timed delivery. never found cause. did all the above and then some. final deal== I gave driver a wrench ; he kept priming it to keep going. best guess for me was a hair line crack in suction side ?

Got the load dumped by driving 200' at a time. After a longer cool down and it being empty, I would get 400' before it slowing dies.  A buddy pulled me with my F-350 in the low range 3.5 miles to my driveway. Twice I started it to help him up the steep part of hills.  My driveway is a steep grade (26%) and starts at the bottom of another hill. I started the truck, quickly rolled down the hill, turned into my drive faster than normal and made it 1/4 of the way up it. Went and got the D5 (the Ford wasn't gonna pull it up my drive) and started pulling on it. 3/4 of the way up it gets real steep and I started the Mack to help out. Went up, turned it around, parked it in a spot that is easy to work on and let it run (it hadn't quit). It idles for 45 minutes then I shut it off.  I am now convinced that there is something in the fuel tank that is getting sucked into the up pipe.  The combination of a steep angle and bouncing around while turning into the driveway loosened it up and got it out of the way - until next time.

Winter is back today with 3"-6" in the forecast (I SUPPORT Global Warming!!!) so I don't know when I will be able to drain and clean both tanks. I think the problem is in the passenger side tank as that is the only one that the engine pulls from.  Starting Sunday I am on the road until May 5th.

I finally got the loader, excavator and dozer running good all at the same time - and the dump truck is holding up the new driveway. Last pic is the new driveway I'm cutting in.

IMG_3042 smaller.jpg

IMG_3041 smaller.jpg

IMG_3043 smaller.jpg

Edited by Brandt