Really Strong CH

23 hours ago, navypoppop said:

Volvo knows how but choose not to. They killed off their own large Volvo years ago but I don't remember the model name or number but it was a beast. They probably will destroy Mack rather than sell it to any company. Very sad way for the best truck of all time to die a slow death.

Wasn't it called the VT880 or something like that? What Volvo doesn't know is putting a longer hood and big engine on a very very ugly truck doesn't win over owner operators, LOL

• Thanks 1

I'd like a Mack with something like a CL hood and a Rawhide cab (from @ 2007)   Something like that with an X15 option. .....of course I'd like if they still made Superliners with E9s (or what it would be now, like those 732 HP Scania V8s)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mark T said:

I'd like a Mack with something like a CL hood and a Rawhide cab (from @ 2007)   Something like that with an X15 option. .....of course I'd like if they still made Superliners with E9s (or what it would be now, like those 732 HP Scania V8s)

I'm with you.....other than the Cummins. But I guess some people like them and we really don't have any choice nowadays.

I would have liked to see the CH axle forward before this latest styling change, with the old Rawhide interior and the hood lengthened just enough for a 15 or 16 litre engine and the cooling package required for it.

• Like 1

Styling change! You mean the new bowtie, dog bone grill and inferior interior to the Rawhide option. As stated a new longer hood, big bore and bigger cooling system- now thats a change. Come on Corporate Mack-get some (Zern Hanson balls) and get tough with the Swven overlords. Design a new Mack conventional on your own and sell it to Volvo. Real Mack change would add to the Volvo bottom line. Volvo is really clueless when it comes to designing an American conventional aka KW, Pete, Star, Freightliner and IH/Volkswagon. And maybee Acar in the future. Take the  Volvo 880 for example. Talk about disappearing with its tail between its legs.

Edited by james j neiweem

• 2 months later...

Son in law went to the big rig loaded drags in Onaway Michigan again the other day. I was up at work. he got a couple short videos of that CH axle forward again with the MP10 in it.  Man, I'd love to see that thing in person and know what was done to it. That thing is a beast.

Now why couldn't Mack do that? Axle forward CH with an MP10 and sleeper options. They would have had a winner.

And don't say it's cooling package limitations. Look at a T800 with that tine narrow grill. They can cool a 600 big bore no problem.

I just worked on a 2006 Volvo VNL with the pre-emission D-16 engine. I didn’t think to look at the HP rating. It seemed to run pretty strong though. Volvo pushed the VNL as their heavy haul truck with many different engine options for many years. After the Mack Titian and MP-10 was discontinued in the US , Volvo pushed the VNL again as a heavy haul truck with the D-13 500HP/1900 ft pound torque or the Cummins X15 565HP/1850 ft pounds of torque. The Mack MP8 is maxed out at 505 HP/1860 foot pound of torque. It seems the Mack 505 Plus ( 1900 foot pounds of torque) is no longer available. The 505 Plus was a beast but seemed to cause some weird vibrations when under long hard pulls in the CHU trucks I worked on . I believe the 505 plus was available between  2014-2016 and pre-common rail engines in 2017 . 

2 hours ago, Mackpro said:

I just worked on a 2006 Volvo VNL with the pre-emission D-16 engine. I didn’t think to look at the HP rating. It seemed to run pretty strong though. Volvo pushed the VNL as their heavy haul truck with many different engine options for many years. After the Mack Titian and MP-10 was discontinued in the US , Volvo pushed the VNL again as a heavy haul truck with the D-13 500HP/1900 ft pound torque or the Cummins X15 565HP/1850 ft pounds of torque. The Mack MP8 is maxed out at 505 HP/1860 foot pound of torque. It seems the Mack 505 Plus ( 1900 foot pounds of torque) is no longer available. The 505 Plus was a beast but seemed to cause some weird vibrations when under long hard pulls in the CHU trucks I worked on . I believe the 505 plus was available between  2014-2016 and pre-common rail engines in 2017 . 

Here in Australia Our MP8 is available  @535/1920

https://www.macktrucks.com.au/powertrain-and-suspensions/engines/

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Problem with the 505 hp MP8 was head issues from what I heard. I've always said bigger horses lead to bigger problems. Like these guys with these 6nz cats I've done the same exact work with less horse and less cost of parts etc. Gimme a 2005 60 series Detroit any day 515hp from the factory and 7-8mpg whether loaded or empty. 

RubberDuck...  I love a mack,,   trust me,,  But I will run a 12.7 DD any day,,  all day..   If My Bossman said,,,  This is your truck!! and it happens to be an FLD 120,, i'm In !!!

I owned a '99 Century for a short time, and drove quite a few of them..  Yes it's a plastic truck, but in todays world, I bet it is affordable..  Opinion's are alway's welcomed..   Jojo

14.0 L Is good too but I dont want EGR..  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

RubberDuck...  I love a mack,,   trust me,,  But I will run a 12.7 DD any day,,  all day..   If My Bossman said,,,  This is your truck!! and it happens to be an FLD 120,, i'm In !!!

I owned a '99 Century for a short time, and drove quite a few of them..  Yes it's a plastic truck, but in todays world, I bet it is affordable..  Opinion's are alway's welcomed..   Jojo

I drove a 1993 Peterbilt 379 with a 60 series Detroit and a 15spd Deep reduction. She looked like she were straight outta a Jerry Reed movie lol. 70 was top speed but she did it right in the mud with a load of logs on. The 14.0L I experienced was in a 2006 Coronado. That truck would flat git it Son. I went 14 miles in less than 10mins l. Friend of mine was following me and she backed out of it at 75mph and I was still pulling away from her before she backed outta it lol

17 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

We got quite few Non EGR 14.0 Litre Series 60's down here..!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

• 2 weeks later...