Pictures of the Week

other dog

28 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Couldn’t figure out what that machine was till I saw the head sticking out ha ha through the side of the block that’s always an adventure Bob

It's a cattle crush, holds them still so humans can work on cattle without cattle or humans getting hurt

I remember Dad telling the story how he put a big bull in a crush , the crush was pinned to the ground with truck axles driven in as big anchors

Dad always reckoned as soon as the bull was in the crush and he couldn't close the bail that things were about to get interesting 

As Dad tells the story "the bull was that big and strong he just sort of stretched out and walked away with the crush and all" 😁

I bought some bulls down from Queensland once, the bail wouldn't shut at all and bulls were to long for the crush, things were starting to get adventurous very quickly 

Thats why we put a ring in the bulls nose, gives instant and complete control

The bail is the bit the closes around the neck to hold them still from walking backwards or forwards and moving side to side

Paul 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 9:48 AM, mowerman said:

more testing

owl glass.jpg

I had a picture of a truck in the absolute middle of nowhere, photo-chopped a FedEx truck with a broken windshield in it's place, and you were holding the cardboard sign that said "hit owl, need ride back to town".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

On 2/18/2023 at 1:30 PM, mrsmackpaul said:

Tail jacking will help a huge amount breaking any heifer in for milking as will playing with her teats leading up to it

An dd "Udder mint"

I use Udder Balm or less preferred Bag Balm for any sores on me or the cow. Lanolin based products seem to work the best for me but never considered mint, might have to give it a try. 

And I have never heard of "tail jacking." My paster is also my neighbor and something like "tail jacking" or "teat playing" is something Id really prefer not to explain Sunday morning. 

Tail jacking isnt very complicated 

If you put the cow in a bail to milk her, just tie her tail vertical, as in straight up and down with a bit of tension 

This triggers nerve and the cow will just stand still

After a few milkings like this just untie the tail and most times they will just stand nice and still 

I only ever use this as a last resort to when breaking them in 

I always found just walking them thru the cow shed and dropping a little grain and walk along behind giving them a rub and a tickle does wonders

I always talk to animals constantly so they know exactly were I am, I feel that helps as well

Anyway I'm sure you have it well under control 

Paul 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 5:23 PM, other dog said:

I went to Danville with Zina from Gladys to her dr's appointment this morning. I saw all these trucks lined up at J & J Truck Sales, which is right next door to Atkinson Truck Sales. Between them they have about 8 million trucks for sale, I used to see dump trucks with their mud flaps all over the country. But this green dump one really caught my eye, I really like that color. That's a crappy picture too, but not too bad for a drive-by shot taken with a phone I guess.

dd326i.thumb.jpg.de3ac0e0a984597f756f9e9a10f5c9fd.jpg

The dr's office we were at was actually in a building that used to be part of the famous Dan River Mills. It was a 4 story building and on the first floor there was a room that was a small museum I guess, it had displays and pictures of the tobacco warehouses that used to be there, the textile mills...

dd325.jpg.e66458f8296603e86d5cf053304e7da8.jpg

and this display about the wreck of the old 97. Very interesting.

dd327892.thumb.jpg.a39588fb5a5287c9fa12645f5d6d0414.jpg

There's a tank museum in Danville too, in the old Disston Tool plant.  We haven't been there yet, but it's on our bucket list.

Hey Other Dog.....is that J&J dealer on drugs or are they just criminals? I looked at their web site to see that green Granite dump and it's USED and they want $252,500!!!!

I had to LQQK.....  Holy crap.. I couldnt beleive my eyes..  those prices are crazy..  How the hell does anyone make a living running a quarter million dollar truck that breaks down every few month due to expensive exhaust system issues..?  I am surely out of touch on this one..  jojo

22 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I had to LQQK.....  Holy crap.. I couldnt beleive my eyes..  those prices are crazy..  How the hell does anyone make a living running a quarter million dollar truck that breaks down every few month due to expensive exhaust system issues..?  I am surely out of touch on this one..  jojo

Unless covid truck prices have risen that much in last two years, in 2020 I could get a fully loaded Star tri-axle dump  brand new for $227,000 in worthless canadian money.

Am I that out of touch now?? I have read articles about the new upcoming emissions regs and they did say it will be the end of the owner operator. Even International is predicting $300,000 prices for an average sleeper tractor.