1962 Mack B61LT Tractor Truck for Sale in NY

PMC

Not mine, but thought I would share. 

Listing says 5 speed, but seems to be a tag i am not familiar with that indicates its a duplex, but i only can make out one shift lever... unishift?

Seems like a solid/straight truck and with some nice period options...  Chrome grill/air cleaner+extension/chrome hood latches/aluminum drivers step tank/factory headliner. 

Interesting that it does not have a passenger tank, but rather a step like i have often seen on gas trucks...  anybody have thoughts?

https://www.auctionsinternational.com/auction/31468/item/1962-mack-b61lt-tractor-truck-195810

image.png.750c4b7ee83a104bdd712711312191bc.png

The other thing I notice is looks like the tach was added on. Seems a little weird if it started life as a diesel. It looks to be a nicer than the description but hard to tell. It will be interesting to see what it goes for.

wP1410093_t.JPG

possibly it had a tattle tale speedo ; bigger square . kinda close to drivers knees though. replaced with regular mack speedo. i'm seeing an extra gauge also:: air/ water temp/ volts/ fuel level. #5 ??. door shows it was owned by municipality, don't think if bought new they would need two tanks. 

can't enlarge the picture, but maybe the tach was added with more concern for drivers to learn shifting at proper R PM's  and less for speed ; ever see a municipality truck going fast! first picture has either a hyd tank (black) or it has larger tank for air starter ; reason for added gauge ??

The gauges starting on the left are: Fuel Level, Oil Pressure. Then below oil pressure is Water Temperature, Ammeter, Air Pressure Then of course the large 80mph speedometer. Tach is the large one in the top center of the cluster. Honestly from looking at it I think the speedo is original and the tach has recently been changed. Its only showing 64 hours elapsed time and its a 3200rpm tach. I wouldn't think an old thermodyne would have come with a 3200 rpm tachometer. 

Is a unishift the same concept as an Eaton Super 10? 

4 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

or it has larger tank for air starter ; reason for added gauge ??

lt is definitely an air start! The picture with the "Tractor Protection" valve has the air starter tank pressure gauge next to it.    .....Hippy  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...