Dynatard

mackone

• mackone changed the title to Dynatard

On the engine tag, does it say "B" in the engine family category?

I do believe there are some B engines, that simply didn't come with the actual retarder as maybe they were not speced out to have a retarder by the purchaser.   I have a 237 engine family B, that doesn't have the Dynatard.  But as far as I know, I could install one if I wanted to.

• 2 weeks later...

You're probably looking at the right tag, passenger side of the engine kind of behind and above the injection pump.   I also have a "newer" (1983) EM-6 that doesn't have the engine "family" category on the tag.   That category MIGHT be a thing only on earlier engines.   All my pre 1977 engines have that.   And the B family apparently are Dynatard engines.

That's not to say that yours is not compatible....just I don't know how to identify it further.  Maybe someone knows what to look for under the valve covers/valve train

the jacobs engine brake would be an add on unit. a dynatard is built in unit. as other text have written major components would need to be changed. push rods, rockers, cam, (valve covers?). another forum discussed this topic some time back, can't find it. I go back to the beginning of the dynatard which had larger adjusting solenoids on exhaust side . from what i gather the covers are different today.

So from what I have been able to learn and opinions of myself and others

On a E6 there isnt a lot of difference between Dynatard and Jacobs

It's a small motor so the compression isn't as good to help slow you

That been said, I know of people (very few) that tell me Dynatard works as good or almost as good as a 14 litre Cummins with Jacob brake when the Dynatard is working as it should

My experience is that Dynatard is only good for dropping revs quick for changing gears 

However this really doesn't answer your questions at all 

So I  reckon a piece of wire pushed down from top of the head and measure from the top of the lobe, the rotate the motor until the lobe is on the bottom and measure again should give you a good idea what cam shaft you have

Yes this is very farmerish or perhaps in Yanky terms (red neck) but it should give you a idea of what have

Paul

• Like 2

By now everyone will know and be shaking their head thatyou cant push a piece of wire down to the cam

Your a dick Paul

Anyway everyone must be feeling generous as no one has called me out on this 

How ever, Im sure there must a easy way of checking what cam is in there, it's just I am not smart enough to check this 

Sorry for the bum steer

Very little sleep over the last 24 hours and it's hot as all get out, only excuses I have except for Im a dumb ass 🤔

Paul

• Like 1

O.K. Thanks  everyone for the quick replies, the only reason I was wanting to use dynatard is because I have one on the e6 that spun a bearing, and I heard its hard to find a Jake brake for a E6. Have heard someone mentioned that in later years all mack engines had the dynatard cam regardless whether one was installed or not, but don't know if that is so.

4 hours ago, fjh said:

The only way I can think of is with a dial indicator on the exhaust push rod or rocker aad check for the dynatard bump on the back side of the cam!

Would it be possible for someone smarter than me to draw a picture of what the cam lobes look like on a Dynatard motor

Someone may have a good photo, I really have no idea at all about this stuff

Paul 

12 hours ago, mackone said:

O.K. Thanks  everyone for the quick replies, the only reason I was wanting to use dynatard is because I have one on the e6 that spun a bearing, and I heard its hard to find a Jake brake for a E6. Have heard someone mentioned that in later years all mack engines had the dynatard cam regardless whether one was installed or not, but don't know if that is so.

That is very possible I heard the same as you but never confirmed it! Chances are your engine has the Dynatard cam and all you need is the push tubes and rocker gear to make it work And wiring of coarse ! If you have a donor engine you could swap the rockers and push tubes and see what happens! if you want to invest the time!

Just sayin! 

6 minutes ago, fjh said:

That is very possible I heard the same as you but never confirmed it! Chances are your engine has the Dynatard cam and all you need is the push tubes and rocker gear to make it work And wiring of coarse ! If you have a donor engine you could swap the rockers and push tubes and see what happens! if you want to invest the time!

Just sayin! 

O.K I Have the other complete engine that I was using everyday up until October when it spun a bearing or something, So I have everything , so I guess I could see if it will work, I am just trying to keep from having someone change camshafts if possible.

2 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

how bad was damage on the spun a bearing engine? repair to 350 with engine brake not a  more feasible idea VS change-over to a 300 possibly unable to have engine brake ??? repair a bearing spin instead of camshaft change.

I think if he has the time swap the bits over wouldn’t take more than 6 hrs and if it doesn’t work he still has a running engine don’t have to swap back!just leave it!the valve set is the same 16/24

just sayin 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Would it be possible for someone smarter than me to draw a picture of what the cam lobes look like on a Dynatard motor

Someone may have a good photo, I really have no idea at all about this stuff

Paul 

C48DA916-6F4E-4AE6-8197-FF54E4F50F7B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Like 1