2004 ch613 with e7 won’t start without ether, then runs fine

2wdiesel2021

Also check the engine wiring harness for oil we had a problem with oil pressure sending units pushing oil into the harness and cutting the power to the injectors they would not get a signal with the oil in the wiring sometimes it would start sometimes not 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

So keep us posted on this interesting issue! If the issue persists after the suction Lines are replace check the tank vent!your description really describes the scenario to a tea! Vacuum created in the tank sucking the fuel back when shut off!

I just went back to page 1...  He just got the truck..  what's the chance it is already addicted to either, and needs 'A Hit' to get started each day.??  I think a compression test is in order..  what say y'all??   Jojo

• Like 1

I don’t think suction lines are an issue as once it gets going it runs fine. However I don’t know much about these AC engines but I think the egr code should be looked at and fixed. Like d-day said check for oil wicking at the harness. This sounds like loss of prime or electrical problem since engine sensors are shorting out  and no communication.  

Edited by Onyx610
More info
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, fjh said:

So keep us posted on this interesting issue! If the issue persists after the suction Lines are replace check the tank vent!your description really describes the scenario to a tea! Vacuum created in the tank sucking the fuel back when shut off!

With the engine running I would suspect lots of bloby at the draft tube in the low compression dept!   Im sticking with my tank vent or or his suction line theory for now Joey ! Just running with his symptom's at the moment! The lost of prime makes the most sense at this point! In the first statment only in the morning next statement  after ten minutes of shut off!  Rule of thumb ! If the engine starts up clean running on all 6, suspect electrical. if it stumbles to a start suspect air!

• Like 1

Isn't there a fuel filter up high near the steering column?  I wonder if, after it sits for a while, he takes it off to check the fuel level in it to see if it drained back to the tank??  I am trying to fix this in my head,,. :). But I'm getting foggy... also,. Does pumping the primer before starting it, make it start??  Jojo

12 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I just went back to page 1...  He just got the truck..  what's the chance it is already addicted to either, and needs 'A Hit' to get started each day.??  I think a compression test is in order..  what say y'all??   Jojo

If the compression was that bad it would have major blow by I would think no?

Isn't there a fuel filter up high near the steering column?  I wonder if, after it sits for a while, he takes it off to check the fuel level in it to see if it drained back to the tank??  I am trying to fix this in my head,,. :). But I'm getting foggy... also,. Does pumping the primer before starting it, make it start??  Jojo

Yes, there should be blow by..  like I was saying,. I'm grabbing at straws, because of all the new parts, plus, he just acquired the truck, so history is unknown,. And it is an AC ASET...  So there is a bunch of sensors to deal with..  and ether is used to start it,. And,. Well...  Not being there in this case, is tough too..  jojo

• Like 1

All new fuel lines now, just have codes for egr flow and egt probe. Still just won’t start. When i loosen the nuts at the head where the fuel line goes i have fuel and when i crank it the fuel increases. I have cleaned everything and it’s spins over very very fast and will only run on ether now. I am at a loss here. Any opinions will help.

Ok....  Here is something I did years ago for a no-start issue in a CX...  I took a separate battery and hooked the neg from it to the truck batteries. Then take a length of wire that can reach from the positive on the remote battery, to the EECU fuse 40, in the fuse box under the hood, and back feed power to that fuse socket..  then crank the truck..  if it fires right up, there is a high power draw..  I have found bad starters this way..  Jojo

I thought ethering an ASET engine was like the biggest NO-NO in the book? I have a friend who used to own a large fleet of E7s and ASETs. One of his trucks was far away from home and had to get towed into a shop. The shop was a one man real old school operation and the old timer had never worked on anything that new at time. He used ether on it and it wiped out something in the head. Something in the valve train is ceramic or ceramic coated and you can't use ether on them? I can't remember. Maybe I'm wrong on that so correct me if so.

If your getting good fuel up to the head ether the computer isn't allowing the injectors to operate because it isn't satisfied or there is not enough compression to ignite diesel. When you crank it without ether will it start to smoke at all out of the exhaust? No smoke no fuel?

11 hours ago, 2wdiesel2021 said:

All new fuel lines now, just have codes for egr flow and egt probe. Still just won’t start. When i loosen the nuts at the head where the fuel line goes i have fuel and when i crank it the fuel increases. I have cleaned everything and it’s spins over very very fast and will only run on ether now. I am at a loss here. Any opinions will help.

Rule of thumb ! If the engine starts up clean running on all 6, suspect electrical. if it stumbles to a start suspect air in fuel!   Could even be something as simple as an ignition switch !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2wdiesel2021 said:

Now that you mention it, when it did start the little lighting bolt on the dash would come on. Now just the low air comes kn that’s all on the dash. Electrical is next

Don't rule out the starter as Glenn mentioned!

67 Remodel,.  The valve lifters have ceramic rollers, and can not handle shock,. Like when the engine rattles hard from using ether to start it..  that may be what you are thinking about.. .  And yes to looking at the starter as being bad.. I posted a test you can do to see if the starter is pulling too much power..    Jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
Pore cell fone sperring

Found the problem, VCU fuse behind the dash was no good. It was a resettable fuse and it was hot. Replaced with a good fuse and started right up. My dash gauges that don’t work are fuel, voltmeter, trans temp and oil temp. Al new sending units. Where does this problem usually come from? The VCU itself or where?

well the first part is great news... as far as the cluster,,,  I have to think on that one..  Maybe check the plugs on the back for issues..  sorry I dont have a better answer..  jojo