Top mount wipers on a B61

I seem to (vaguely) remember riding in a truck (maybe a B...maybe not even a Mack) with my Dad when I was 4-5 years old that had independent wipers.  Even then, it irritated me that they didn't move together!  Seemed like there were 2 separate switches on the dash...one for each wiper.  But, the picture above looks like there were controls mounted directly on the motors, not on the dash.  Could just be a memory lapse though, 'cause it's been nearly 60 years!  Really wish we'd had these new-fangled phones back then.  I saw so much cool stuff, and only had my memory to record it all with...and now that's fading.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Yes sir I hear you. I have also been in a lot of big rigs since  1960. and yes, I would almost swear I have seen two switches somewhere along the line. I have had a lot of antique cars as well through the years that I wish I had more photos of pretty crazy nowadays you just pull it out of your pocket and snap away what really boggles me as you can send it three  thousand miles in a couple of seconds. … Bob

• Like 1

do remember separate wipers .  no one knew back then to take pictures or to save everything . glad the new -fangle phones weren't there then == we would be in twice as much trouble in this country as we are now.. I would have rather seen more people with more cameras taking pictures.; just sayin . 

• Like 1

You know this is probably boring old people stories, but I got to thinking about B models and I think the only time I have ever been in one was 40 years ago I test drove a three axle B model they had for sale Los Angeles Mac dealership I was going to buy it, but I couldn’t get financed. They said the truck was too old to take a chance on….. bob

I do remember the salesman telling me I was doing a pretty good job with the two sticks. I told him I have a little bit of experience with them. I only broke in on a two stick an  R model. Then went to the DMV with a two stick U model but that was it. I never drove one on the clock. Bob 

• Like 1

sure hope at the DMV  you didn't shift with your arm between the steering wheel!! around here (CT) take two hands off the steering wheel ;;; YOU FAILED> LOL

imagine in todays world having twin stick and cell phone !!!! half youngsters could n't drive one; " I can't put my cellphone down " to shift two sticks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I seem to (vaguely) remember riding in a truck (maybe a B...maybe not even a Mack) with my Dad when I was 4-5 years old that had independent wipers.  Even then, it irritated me that they didn't move together!  Seemed like there were 2 separate switches on the dash...one for each wiper.

I rode with my Dad many times in the 60's and 70's in old KW's and Pacifics that had separate wipers that were air actuated. A knob for each one and, yes it was annoying that they move at different times and different speeds from one another. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mowerman said:

I do remember the salesman telling me I was doing a pretty good job with the two sticks. I told him I have a little bit of experience with them. I only broke in on a two stick an  R model. Then went to the DMV with a two stick U model but that was it. I never drove one on the clock. Bob 

I worked a lot to able to split shift with 2 hands and just as much to get good at "one-handing" the 2 sticks.  A guy that rode with me once commented on that "one-hand" technique...said he'd never seen anybody "triple clutch" before.  But, when I got used to it, I could do that ALMOST as quick as I could with 2 hands, and never missed a shift.  Plus, I could steer better.  Gladly, never had to do the 2-hand thing in front of a DMV man!

Damn it!  I'm off-topic...AGAIN!  LOL!

• Haha 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I know the 86 GMC General I drove had two switch air actuated wipers. And none of you guys are OFF Topic in my thread here. That's why I started it to here the old stories just like my Grandpa used to tell me growing up. My Grandpa was the guy that took pictures of everything and anything. That's why we have pictures of his old trucks. Some of them are even still in Black and white. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I will have to find the pictures of the whole truck it was actually Duck yellow. Would love to have one just like it I'd drive the wheels off of it or his B67 that was red and had three sticks. I would give anything to go back then and be a truck driver. My Grandpa always told me I was born and a driver in the wrong Era especially since I love the old iron and old school ways of back then.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 7:31 AM, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I worked a lot to able to split shift with 2 hands and just as much to get good at "one-handing" the 2 sticks.  A guy that rode with me once commented on that "one-hand" technique...said he'd never seen anybody "triple clutch" before.  But, when I got used to it, I could do that ALMOST as quick as I could with 2 hands, and never missed a shift.  Plus, I could steer better.  Gladly, never had to do the 2-hand thing in front of a DMV man!

Damn it!  I'm off-topic...AGAIN!  LOL!

I forgot to mention that’s the way my  pop used to drive them. You’re pretty much shifting it like a maxidyne and then reving it back up for the auxiliary.Bob

There's a guy on Youtube I think his channel is Bubbles8v92 he did a video showing how to shift the 6 and 4 Transmission in his Pete. He blatantly said that " The whole reaching through the wheel to shift was a total Farse". It was funny because the comments came flooding in with guys Saying " Well you can tell this Young pup ain't never drove a Mack". 

1 hour ago, The Rubber Duck 006 said:

There's a guy on Youtube I think his channel is Bubbles8v92 he did a video showing how to shift the 6 and 4 Transmission in his Pete. He blatantly said that " The whole reaching through the wheel to shift was a total Farse". It was funny because the comments came flooding in with guys Saying " Well you can tell this Young pup ain't never drove a Mack". 

Lots of those guys never drove a truck with no power steering, let alone two sticks.....or know what to do with them. 

• Like 2

Will you hire somebody dumb lazy kids these days? My opinion is to road test them on a 2 stick , but somebody said they never be able to hire any of them. Ha ha. We have two girls that are relatively new and they are both better workers, especially with the chain controls… Bob