Boost Q

1 hour ago, fjh said:

22-28 lots of variables ambiant temps load ect!

Shifting through the gears empty I can hit 21, with a full load going up a hill I hit 23-24 max. Should I be looking for leaks ? Truck is overheating on hills. I changed thermostat and coolant already. 

11 minutes ago, terry said:

If you have a front mounted inter cooler, take it off and clean everything real good, back of intercooler, and front of radiator.  Terry:MackLogo:

lots of variables ambient temps load ect

Your in the zone ! Heating up ? Do you have a pyro?

2 hours ago, Gravelguy413 said:

Shifting through the gears empty I can hit 21, with a full load going up a hill I hit 23-24 max. Should I be looking for leaks ? Truck is overheating on hills. I changed thermostat and coolant already. 

lots of variables ambient temps load ect

Your in the zone ! Heating up ? Do you have a pyro? Three indicators of a boost leak  quick High pyro  low boost . Trailing smoke while under load @ rated RPM anywhere from 1200 - 1600 you apear to have a maxidyne it may pull lower than twelve how ever key here is pyro temp 1100- 1100 deg  1200 is pushing it! with the maxidyne you have a wide power band 

Edited by fjh

Ok I will clean everything and install a pyro and see where exhaust temps are at. Engine has 455k miles and over 25k hours maybe it’s just tired, uses oil and has a good amount of blow by although it used to pull steep hills loaded without overheating. 

I found my Mack tube up /Spec book for the 1996 year models. A EM7-300 mechanical should be makeing 20-28 psi in a hard pull . Check the fresh air intake piping for the air compressor. The air compressor  get it fresh air from the intake manifold. Any leak on that any you will loose boost.  The original intake manifold gaskets were later updated to steel core gaskets due the paper gaskets blowing out 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I would think if it had blow by your gunna start to start to make boost but I really dont know about 

Paul

That makes no sense at all Paul yah clown 

What I think I was trying to say was

If you got plenty of blow by then your gunna struggle to make big boost

Anyway, enough from me 

Paul 

Edited by mrsmackpaul

The overheating issue has been solved thanks to all the Pedigreed Bulldog members who responded and told me more than once to take CAC off and clean in between radiator etc. I guess it had to sink in. Poor dog was running a fever on the hills due to all the dirt clogging the radiator fins. I get no more than 24 lbs of boost on a hard pull but sounds like it’s within spec? Probably time to freshen up the engine considering the miles / hours as a dump truck. It probably is what it is considering what is is. Lol. 

• Like 1

That's a good result

So the next things I have learnt that effect boost are a squashed exhaust or a restricted air intake

I know when I re-bearinged my tip turbine it added a couple pounds of boost 

Little bits help

Maybe check if a intake rubber connection is collapsing in or gone real soft 

Paul 

13 hours ago, Gravelguy413 said:

The overheating issue has been solved thanks to all the Pedigreed Bulldog members who responded and told me more than once to take CAC off and clean in between radiator etc. I guess it had to sink in. Poor dog was running a fever on the hills due to all the dirt clogging the radiator fins. I get no more than 24 lbs of boost on a hard pull but sounds like it’s within spec? Probably time to freshen up the engine considering the miles / hours as a dump truck. It probably is what it is considering what is is. Lol. 

My e7-350 used to only hit 25.  Finally pressure tested the CAC and it had a crack vertically along the seam between the passenger side and the cooling crossover tubes. Symptoms were low boost, high pyro temps, 1000-1200 degrees easy.  

I'll bet your CAC issues aren't over, I'll bet you have a cracked CAC.  You can buy PVC pipe end caps from Home Depot, install a valve stem in one and put each one in one of the rubber hoses on the CAC.  Try pressurizing it. Don't go above 35 psi, but if it's cracked you'll hear it right away.

My truck makes 31 psi now, pyro tops out around 900 degrees.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

My e7-350 used to only hit 25.  Finally pressure tested the CAC and it had a crack vertically along the seam between the passenger side and the cooling crossover tubes. Symptoms were low boost, high pyro temps, 1000-1200 degrees easy.  

I'll bet your CAC issues aren't over, I'll bet you have a cracked CAC.  You can buy PVC pipe end caps from Home Depot, install a valve stem in one and put each one in one of the rubber hoses on the CAC.  Try pressurizing it. Don't go above 35 psi, but if it's cracked you'll hear it right away.

My truck makes 31 psi now, pyro tops out around 900 degrees.

Or you can look it most often happens on the top RH of the cooler due to hot incoming air! You should also be trailing smoke under load!!

• Like 1

a radiator repair shop may be able to weld it up,  I have had a few repaired, I guess it depends on how long the crack is or if its in the viens..  typically it is at the top right corner at the inlet.  jojo