Overheating problem

Hello all. Have 96 RD with mechanical 300. Recently noticed when hauling a load that coolant temps start to near the red zone on temp gauge within a few miles of driving.  Not losing any coolant.  Only things I have noticed lately is the low oil/ coolant/ air pressure alarm beeps intermittently after it initially shuts off.  I do not hear the fan surging like it used to on uphill pulls. Could this just be a faulty thermostat or what ?

54 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I bet you have a viscous fan clutch..  if so, check to see if it is easy to rotate when cold, and see if there is oily residue on the back of it where the spindle comes out. If so, replace it,  A new thermostat is always a good idea anyway, is the coolant mixed properly? is there dirt between the radiator and C.A.C.? Is the fan shroud in one piece?  jojo

WHAT HE SAID! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I bet you have a viscous fan clutch..  if so, check to see if it is easy to rotate when cold, and see if there is oily residue on the back of it where the spindle comes out. If so, replace it,  A new thermostat is always a good idea anyway, is the coolant mixed properly? is there dirt between the radiator and C.A.C.? Is the fan shroud in one piece?  jojo

Fan does not rotate easily and there is no play however there is old oily residue on the fins of the fan clutch and fan blades. I ran truck for several hours around the yard moving loads and it stayed at just under 180. Should I just replace fan clutch? Everything else looks good

10 hours ago, Gravelguy413 said:

Should I just replace fan clutch? Everything else looks good

Personally I'd also give the C.A.C. &  Aircon condensor a good clean/blow out & service the entire cooling System .ie. Give both the block & radiator a flush, change coolant, Hoses & thermostat..  But that's me..

But It's Your truck, your Call.......... !!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Well I replaced the fan clutch and the fan now works as it’s supposed to. It also got rid of the loud squealing noise that came on around 1600 rpm however the truck is still heating up when hauling a load up hill. I am changing out the thermostat tomorrow. Anything I need to know or is that pretty straight forward?

16 hours ago, Gravelguy413 said:

Well I replaced the fan clutch and the fan now works as it’s supposed to. It also got rid of the loud squealing noise that came on around 1600 rpm however the truck is still heating up when hauling a load up hill. I am changing out the thermostat tomorrow. Anything I need to know or is that pretty straight forward?

FYI, the charge air cooler tends to crack.  If the truck builds less than 30 psi boost and runs over 1000 degrees on the pyrometer then you need to be looking your charge air cooler for cracks.  You can buy a couple pvc pipe plugs to clamp into the rubber intake tubes. Install a tire valve stem into one, and pressurize not more than 30 psi. Look for leaks!

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 8:55 AM, Joey Mack said:

I bet you have a viscous fan clutch..  if so, check to see if it is easy to rotate when cold, and see if there is oily residue on the back of it where the spindle comes out. If so, replace it,

This is a little confusing to me. Are you saying if it rotates easily when cold (engine not running) then replace it? I though they were supposed to rotate easily when cold. I have a viscous clutch on my E7 and am just doing a good once over on the cooling system since the really hot days are coming. Thanks.