Shop Talk

Onyx610

how about a pic of the ammo cabinet? 

i have 500 rounds 45-70, 100 of 25-06, 1,500 22 magnum, around 1,100 44 magnum, around 1,200 45APC, 1,450 9mm, 250 38 special, 250 .410 7 pellet buckshot, around 200 .410 #6 shot, 500 45 colt long, about 250 12 gauge in different shot size, around 200 20 gauge #6 shot, around 200 28 gauge in #6 shot, around 100 10 gauge 6 shot, around 50 16 gauge #7.5 shot, 3 or 4 thousand 22 long rifle, and around 100 50 cal black powder maxiballs

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

TJC,,  I dont have near as much as you..  My total is around 4000..  I did score a small Stainless cabinet, but it is too small.  I have 2 large 'Spam' can's of ammo..   one is 7.62x39 the other is 7.62x54r..  440 rds./ per can.. I still have 4 more long guns with ammo in the house, in case I need to act quick in my neighborhood..   ie:  .22 bolt action, .410 'Pardner break action, a Hi-Powered .177 Pellet rifle, and an AK 47 with 3 Banana Mags, an M&P 9mm, with 3 double stacked mag's,  and a 'Judge'  in my night stand..  oh yeah, and 3 dogs that announce your presence..  

This is the other S.S. cabinet I have,  yes it will be for ammo. As you can see it is not very big..  But it was free..  

KIMG1446.JPG

Edited by Joey Mack
poor sperring..

3 hours ago, tjc transport said:

how about a pic of the ammo cabinet? 

i have 500 rounds 45-70, 100 of 25-06, 1,500 22 magnum, around 1,100 44 magnum, around 1,200 45APC, 1,450 9mm, 250 38 special, 250 .410 7 pellet buckshot, around 200 .410 #6 shot, 500 45 colt long, about 250 12 gauge in different shot size, around 200 20 gauge #6 shot, around 200 28 gauge in #6 shot, around 100 10 gauge 6 shot, around 50 16 gauge #7.5 shot, 3 or 4 thousand 22 long rifle, and around 100 50 cal black powder maxiballs

Nice,your the only one I know,in person or on line that has a 45-70 ,I have a single shot,forget the make off hand but that’s one beast of a gun..lol

I too would love to have one too (45-70 Govt.) ,,and,  an M-1 Garand...   But my wallet is too thin, plus the ammo is probably upwards of $3/shot..  :) I know the ammo for my Lee Enfield is $2+ and hard to find where I am at..   I love my Enfield..  (303 Brittish)   jojo

i got the 45-70 as a fluke. i was in the gun shop at the range having one of the 03-A3's evaluated and noticed it. asked to see it and said i will take it after shop owner told me he would give me $650 for trade on the 03-A3. it is a Henry "big Boy"

i bought most of my ammo before the prices went stupid.

and i also like to buy by the case to get best price. 

the 45-70 is a real shoulder bruiser with the brass butt plate. 

even with 3 inches of padding it still starts hurting after 5-6 rounds. 

i  mounted a Mitchell 6 power 18 inch tube scope on it.

it is a tack driver at 200 yards. 

• Like 1

well, i was going to load pics, but the interwebs is not letting me. 

nightstand gun is a smith 45-06 with trijicon sights loaded with glaser safety slugs. 

canceled carry and couch pocket gun is a smith M&P 9mmEZ

around the house carry is a bond arms derringer with .410 7 pellet buckshot in upper barrel, and a 45 colt long in lower barrel. 

i have a smith 351PD for the 22 mag revolver. 7 shot aluminum frame with stainless barrel insert, and Crimson Trace Laser.

it will hide in the palm of your hand

the 9MM has a Crimson Trace on it also. 

and sorry, they destroyed the molds and egg shell fragments after i hatched, saying something about "one of me was more than enough"  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I too would love to have one too (45-70 Govt.) ,,and,  an M-1 Garand...   But my wallet is too thin, plus the ammo is probably upwards of $3/shot..  :) I know the ammo for my Lee Enfield is $2+ and hard to find where I am at..   I love my Enfield..  (303 Brittish)   jojo

Dunno were you get your 303 ammo from

No were near that dear here, my main gun is a numbers matching 303, 1915 model I seam to recall, I brought it as a young bloke, $165.00 with it all adjusted up and tight and with a scope on it

They ballsed up the scope install and put on top instead of the side so I can't drop clips in thru the top any more.

For those that dont know, you dont drop the mag normally to reload the 303, you pull the bolt back and drop the clip holding the ammo from on top

The scope should be on the side to allow this 

When I first bought it I could buy x army ammo for 50 cents a round if I was buying I think 500 at a time

I would buy it by 1000

I still have thousands of rounds but switched to hollow points for dropping deer, opens them up like a dinner plate

Has a hell of a bark at 2am, it can be heard miles away on still night, would average about 600 dear over a few months after we harvested the sugar cane 

The 303 is a extremely accurate gun and can out shoot nearly all shooters including me, when I was young I was a lot better shot but just dont get the time to put any rounds thru these days 

FB-IMG-1564029496649.jpg

Paul 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

No were near that dear here, my main gun is a numbers matching 303, 1915 model I seam to recall, I brought it as a young bloke, $165.00 with it all adjusted up and tight and with a scope on it

They ballsed up the scope install and put on top instead of the side so I can't drop clips in thru the top any more.

For those that dont know, you dont drop the mag normally to reload the 303, you pull the bolt back and drop the clip holding the ammo from on top

When I first bought it I could buy x army ammo for 50 cents a round if I was buying I think 500 at a time

I would buy it by 1000

I still have thousands of rounds but switched to hollow points for dropping deer, opens them up like a dinner plate

Has a hell of a bark at 2am, it can be heard miles away on still night, would average about 600 dear over a few months after we harvested the sugar cane 

The 303 is a extremely accurate gun and can out shoot nearly all shooters including me, when I was young I was a lot better shot but just dont get the time to put any rounds thru these days 

FB-IMG-1564029496649.jpg

Paul 

Damn that’s a lot of deer,can’t imagine the damage they do..

I at one time shot 1,000 yard competitively with a 308 bear wildcat cartridge, 300 yards with an open sight 45/70 Shilo sharps with black powder as the propellant, 100 yards at a running buffalo with a 38/55 and an Italian made 45 colt yellow boy, and BR 50 with a custom made 22 caliber Time precision made rifle. I missed the world record that was about 3and 5/8 inch I shot a 5 inch ten shot group with the one shot .206 off absolute dead center of the bullseye, I had a record group going but I caught a condition and one fell out of the group it would made my day but that is what makes it a competition. After shooting 30 or 35 rounds out of that 45/70 my shoulder would complain, The 308 Bear weighed 45 lbs and I was sending 220 grains at 3600 fpm. it moved the gun 4 to 5 inches in the rests. Just for fun we would get together and shoot bullseye at 50 yards with 22 pistols I used a Smith model 41 and a model 27.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I would buy it by 1000

FB-IMG-1564029496649.jpg

Paul 

Is that you in the picture ?

Correct, a few years ago now, a lot of deer in a little area can be a big problem 

We sold the farm up there and as far as I know the deer are still a big issue and the local government have still done nothing 

Anyway, not my problem anymore, yeah I know a prick of a attitude but after many years of fighting with the state government and getting the backing of them and the laws changed, then to just run up against the local government that refused to enforce the law 

It all started with 6 deer been bought there illegally in the 70's 

They have two pregnancies a year there as conditions are ideal with sugar cane farmers providing year round supplies 

Paul 

we had the same issue back in the 70's early 89's Paul. deer were eating the apple and peach orchards bare. 

contacted the state who did a survey, and they determined there were NOT ENOUGH deer per acre. 

so we decided to take care of the problem ourselves. 

22 long rifle and a spotlight at 11pm. working with the local sheriff, he gave names of needy families. 

we would shoot 3-4 deer PER NIGHT. and drop the gutted carcass off to said needy families. 

plus donated a whole mess to the county for use feeding prisoners in the county lockup. 

did that for close to 15 years before finally selling the orchards.

On 12/19/2022 at 4:28 AM, mowerman said:

Well, it looks like we’re not. The only nation does absolutely nothing for a regular working folks .. and Paul we didn’t realize you were a newspaper hero ha ha… Bob

I was on the radio a few times, wrote a lot of letters etc to state governments and used to have to stand and address this these government peanuts and local governments people's at public meetings 

Even though they (governments at all levels, federal down to local) agreed it was there issue and they had to clean up the deer population and so on, to actually get them to do anything at all about any of this was whole different story

In the end I just refused to pay any taxes as the governments werent doing their job that by their own laws that they created meant they had to 

They were quick to fine me but still to this day haven't sorted out this deer 

Anyway I  guess thats called "copping the rough end of the pineapple" 😆

Not to worry, life goes on and lessons were learnt

Paul

• Like 2

On 12/18/2022 at 12:15 PM, tjc transport said:

we had the same issue back in the 70's early 89's Paul. deer were eating the apple and peach orchards bare. 

contacted the state who did a survey, and they determined there were NOT ENOUGH deer per acre. 

so we decided to take care of the problem ourselves. 

22 long rifle and a spotlight at 11pm. working with the local sheriff, he gave names of needy families. 

we would shoot 3-4 deer PER NIGHT. and drop the gutted carcass off to said needy families. 

plus donated a whole mess to the county for use feeding prisoners in the county lockup. 

did that for close to 15 years before finally selling the orchards.

This isn't where the name Angry Orchard came from .... was it ???  I know I'd be pretty pissed if it was mine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...