Shop Talk

Onyx610

I don’t know if it’s like this all over Pennsylvania but in my area/district there is a program if you get a DUI or something like that the local magistrate(s) will order you to serve community service with PennDOT. From what I have heard and seen it amounts to riding around in the back of a crew cab pickup all day and sleeping. I see people all the time sleeping in the back seat of these PennDOT rigs around me. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 67RModel said:

I don’t know if it’s like this all over Pennsylvania but in my area/district there is a program if you get a DUI or something like that the local magistrate(s) will order you to serve community service with PennDOT. From what I have heard and seen it amounts to riding around in the back of a crew cab pickup all day and sleeping. I see people all the time sleeping in the back seat of these PennDOT rigs around me. 

all those guys sleeping are full time employees. I happen to know a few people that went through the ARD program and were never told where to do their community service (not saying what you’re saying isn’t true). The only thing the state cares about is getting paid from their screw up. I say this because if you are able to pay your fines all at once on the day of your court hearing the community service is dropped haha. It’s same bullshit as the emissions stickers in this state. It’s not about clean air it’s about money. If your vehicle fails emissions and you can show that you have spent at least $150 on emissions related repairs you become exempt for a year haha. Also if what your saying is true then most people would have to take a week off from work and sleep a 40 hour week at penndot and be done since all you have to do is 40 hours for the maximum. Seems penndot is pretty much the same across the state for the most part I guess. Up near Mark T and counties like Bradford, Potter, Centre, etc.  they do some serious work and good work too from what I have seen. I feel like the county (Chester) that I’m in is like a retirement home for these guys. I’ll keep an eye out for more photo opportunities haha. I challenge you or anyone else in the state of PA reading this to do the same 

There is a vast difference between penn. dot in Luzerne County and Wyoming county and don't get me started on the Luzerne County Road and bridge outfit. It is quite the job driving my B model any ware out from my house for the potholes and the terrible repaired potholes. I all most stopped driving my restored Model A coupe I am afraid it's going to shake the car apart. I always headed out of Luzerne County roads as quick as I could when riding my motorcycle.

• Like 1

Well I can tell you this....  I have been working for my city part time for a couple months. I just hired on as a full time employee..  Monday was the first day.  I am in Waste water management, maintainance division.   On Day 1,  I get 8 hours/ month sick pay, 8 hours/month personal time, 13 paid holidays, free health ins.  (Me only),  they open a 401k and put in 4 % even if I dont contribute, Boot money,  I got 5 new pairs of Carhart pants today, a free "City Nurse" to go to for routine issues,,  and the freedom to be 'Myself' with NO-ONE breathing down my neck. an hour for breakfast, and an hour for lunch.  In my 8 and a half hour day, I may work up to 3 hours..    What The Hell?????   I have never had this..   24 years in trucking and truck repair, working my A$$ off every day, at the least 8 hours of hard labor.  I have my own "Tooled up" service truck and a city credit card to buy up to $999.00 worth of stuff, as needed.. I dont make a lot per hour, but I have almost no stress, or responsibilities..  Oh yeah, and the 11 guy's I work with are all good guys to work with....     Where the Hell am I ????    :)  Jojo

• Like 1

Yes sir..  I had no idea...   I just wanted to do something different, and build engines and fix a truck here and there -on the side-..  It's different all right..   Oh yeah,, my drive to work is 12 minute's..   WTF ???  Our city has 20 openings in the 'street dept' alone..  and 30 more in other divisions..  I will be getting a 5% raise in 6 months plus a cost of living raise as well..  I am only paid $21.50/ hr.  right now, but with all the bennie's, and my cheapass redneck lifestyle, I can live on that. plus my wife makes a paycheck too, and I have side work,,,   Wont get rich, but also wont starve..   :)  jojo

• Like 2