Shop Talk

Onyx610

15 minutes ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins at about 1:05 and Ronnie Sox right after that.  Gotta' love Grumpy's cigar!

That guy lived right near me in malvern, pa

• Like 1

Back in the early 80's there was a few guys that would drag race their street cars on a stretch of highway 36. One had a HEMI 4speed super bird and he would race a buddy of mine that had a '67 CAMARO with a 427 TH400. The Camaro would take th super bird off the line every time by about a length and each time Dale would shift the bird he would gain but never could make up the full length in the 1/4. That guy could shift. 

31 minutes ago, Licensed to kill said:

Back in the early 80's there was a few guys that would drag race their street cars on a stretch of highway 36. One had a HEMI 4speed super bird and he would race a buddy of mine that had a '67 CAMARO with a 427 TH400. The Camaro would take th super bird off the line every time by about a length and each time Dale would shift the bird he would gain but never could make up the full length in the 1/4. That guy could shift. 

Hard to beat an automatic….perfect shifts every single time. 

Edited by Onyx610
Spelling

13 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Ronnie Sox was one of the best I ever saw shifting a 4-speed.  The pass starts at about the 50 second mark.

Oh my god that was bad ass me and  old lady tried to get to Sonoma dragstrip every couple of years there’s a real rush baby thanks for the post… bob

With the "clutchless" Liberty (twin countershaft, by the way) and Jerico boxes, it is now WAY easier to make a good pass.  The sliders in those are a great idea, and I wish I had thought up the design!

What I like about all those old-school guys is that they were still using a "conventional" box.  Takes a lot of skill to hit those just right.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

On 10/27/2022 at 8:05 AM, doubleclutchinweasel said:

With the "clutchless" Liberty (twin countershaft, by the way) and Jerico boxes, it is now WAY easier to make a good pass.  The sliders in those are a great idea, and I wish I had thought up the design!

What I like about all those old-school guys is that they were still using a "conventional" box.  Takes a lot of skill to hit those just right.

Guys used to file every other tooth off the synchronizers in the four speeds. What they referred to as a " crash box " 

• Like 1

JoJo

I have seen alternators that look like a generator advertised,,, But I can not remember where??? try looking in some of the antique tractor magazines????

Looks like your trip to the ATHS show in Colfax has inspired / motivated you!!!! 

Edited by Brocky
  • Like 1

Brocky