Shop Talk

Onyx610

On 10/6/2022 at 8:16 AM, Joey Mack said:

So I tried to take the wheel cyl. apart,  I had to tap threads into one of the pistons and pull it using a homemade puller..   The washer is a Mack rear engine mount washer..  I have a small stack of those suckers..   now to find a rebuild kit..   im on a very tight budget, so I need to go easy...  if I can get the brakes to work, I will be happy. I actually intend on driving it around town often, so hopefully, they wont rust up and freeze again..  

KIMG1253.JPG

I reckon most blokes make up a simple adaptor to attach a grease nipple (zerk for you lot 🤣) to the hole the brake line attaches to 

Then plug your normal grease gun on and pump away and it soon forces the piston out

Way more pressure than you'll ever put on with a puller 

On a normal wheel cylinder to stop the free piston from just popping out you chuck it in a vice and put a large over size socket on the end your still trying to get out so it has room to move 

Or so Im lead to believe 

Paul

• Like 2

after I pulled the other one out and saw the rust in that one, I figured I would order the new ones.  I was not able to find re-build kits for these old cylinders.  I could use a grease gun to get one of them apart, but the second one is really bad.. its unfortunate..  I really hoped to clean them and re-build them...  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just in Washington for a bit and getting the yarder ready to move the D9 is down so the 2 D8H are going to get the job one of my favorite things working with the best stuff we have made these machines are awesome 

IMG_20220922_124325026_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 5:02 PM, Joey Mack said:

Yes Bob,   Thanks...   So today I was looking at the wiring on the '48 INT. K-B 7... I think I'm going to go ahead and convert it to 12v Neg. ground..   I cant afford to buy the correct gauges, and a few other thing's, so that's what I'm gonna do..  I'm going to leave the original wiring, and gauge's  in place ( this way when I am at a Show, I can show how it was done in 1948)   and run all new wiring..  I can do this a heck of a lot easier than trying to buy and replace all the old parts..  I just dont have the money to pay for NOS parts...  I will apologize now to all of the Traditionalist guys on here...   I just cant afford it, and I want to drive it, not look at it up on jack stands...   :) Jojo 

I can't remember the gauge lay out ; does it have the round (4-5in )  with 4 smaller indicators == fuel/ water temp/charging ? when converting would the amp gauge read backwards ? 

51 minutes ago, D-Day said:

Just in Washington for a bit and getting the yarder ready to move the D9 is down so the 2 D8H are going to get the job one of my favorite things working with the best stuff we have made these machines are awesome 

IMG_20220922_124325026_HDR.jpg

Nice to see you again D-Day…how’s the work been in your amazing office? Looks like you guys have been busy…always love your pics man!

Hey Mech, what kind of box do you have? Are you able to post pics? Maybe we can start something where people post pics of their box’s and favorite tools? Joey has a little in the past. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Hey Mech, what kind of box do you have? Are you able to post pics? Maybe we can start something where people post pics of their box’s and favorite tools? Joey has a little in the past. 

my snap on top /bottom set  I gave away (with tools) 11drawer bottom ? and 8 drawer top ? excellent condition. . all I have left is a mac rollaway/ 3 section middle/ top chest with side compartment . from '75  red with full pinstriping.  a snap -on small roll around (4 drawer?) . john deere carryon - for back of truck type. will try the picture idea. 

• Like 1

It’s not that hard to do, but damn you have/had quite the tool storage! Would love to see it. I’ll post a pic of mine when I first got it. I’ll get better ones later, but this is all I got for now. 

7A63DD42-6EE2-4544-854E-CF263C0D1C22.jpeg

• Like 1

IMG_20220928_174301986.thumb.jpg.d5e82e354c60c392cb9d2cc236957ee9.jpgThis is my uncle Ray picture is from about 1949 in the background is mt.rainier , was just up there for his funeral he was 92

Edited by D-Day
More text
  • Like 2

always had a major interest in tools and toys. have been regrouping stuff past few weeks due to possibility of another move . found many specialty  tools that brought back days of old memories when the tools were new. the old farm shows had many of the unusual tools of early farm life that most today have no idea of what the tools were used for

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Just had these given to me full of tools as well….idk what to do with all this stuff. It isn’t worth anything anymore. 

E3383F16-16EC-482C-A976-37A963C0A6D0.jpeg

my snap-on boxes were like those. i go to the farm where they are located now. I ALWAYS had a coat of wax on them == no more . now it's dust , dirt and sh-t all over them.

I love tools as well but there becomes a point you just have soooo many? Love to see the specialty tools you came across. I know a guy at work goes to a thing called “the rough and tumble” and it’s all old steam and cable operated equipment and old chain drive Mack’s and hit and miss engines. They have a flea market there and he always comes back with some crazy tools 

• Like 1

Just now, mechohaulic said:

my snap-on boxes were like those. i go to the farm where they are located now. I ALWAYS had a coat of wax on them == no more . now it's dust , dirt and sh-t all over them.

I really try to keep my box clean and same with the tools. People will think if it’s all nice and shiny it’s just for show, no I just take care of my stuff especially at that snap on price. 

• Like 1

mine were ALWAYS clean and almost shiny; the constant coat of wax dulled the shine. and if someone thought they were for show :: just try and touch them  ; I will SHOW you do not touch. alot of times someone would walk over and start the finger tip going to check "is that wax?" I stopped them fast. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mechohaulic said:

mine were ALWAYS clean and almost shiny; the constant coat of wax dulled the shine. and if someone thought they were for show :: just try and touch them  ; I will SHOW you do not touch. alot of times someone would walk over and start the finger tip going to check "is that wax?" I stopped them fast. 

Lol! Sounds all too familiar….

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

I love tools as well but there becomes a point you just have soooo many? Love to see the specialty tools you came across. I know a guy at work goes to a thing called “the rough and tumble” and it’s all old steam and cable operated equipment and old chain drive Mack’s and hit and miss engines. They have a flea market there and he always comes back with some crazy tools 

years back i went to a few of the local hit/miss shows. bought some of my two-wheel walk behind tractors there.part of the 50/60 collection i had.  the people there were always the best .it wasn't about the money as much as it was the getting together on common subject matter. 

• Like 1

That’s exactly what he says, yea there’s a price on that item. But it’s more less someone wanting to get rid of something and passing it on to someone else with common interest then making a dollar. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

my favorite tool is my snap on air hammer 😏

i take a liken to the ones made more then bought. i took the heat wrench to so many tools. heat/bend/ twist  and grind. 3/4 wrench == heat/ bend /grind to access the inside compressor bolt old mack eng or the 9/16 same method to loosen the insde bolt on oil filler tube. and so many more. alot of DD wrenches bought. 

• Like 1