auto slack adjuster

Moparmike

auto slacks first came out , it was critical to have all matching. is it not necessary now? the slacks had a color coded tye wrap . miss match  might have one adjusting faster than another.  replaced one last week on trailer suspension = couldn't find a color code. correct spline and ctr distance. 

5 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

auto slacks first came out , it was critical to have all matching. is it not necessary now? the slacks had a color coded tye wrap . miss match  might have one adjusting faster than another.  replaced one last week on trailer suspension = couldn't find a color code. correct spline and ctr distance. 

According to law I was told at a bendix foundation class they must be the same brand across an axle.  So even a haldex against a reproduction haldex can get you written up.

• Confused 1

On 2/25/2022 at 11:37 PM, Moparmike said:

2000 rd688s 

anybody have a good part number

I'm trying to order some online but wanna be sure I get the right parts

mack said they couldn't give out part numbers

imagine that 😳

Off the top of my head 44 rears on camelback would be a haldex 10144 and aftermarket uses the same numbers

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hans Remmers said:

According to law I was told at a bendix foundation class they must be the same brand across an axle.  So even a haldex against a reproduction haldex can get you written up.

That there is pretty bad splitting of the hairs hairs! long as a slack is holding its set there should not be an issue!

• Like 1

yeah that seems like a stretch... hell, is there a law dog that would even know what they are looking at?  as long as they are the same style and 'Length' positioned in the same holes, I dont see a problem........  and I too, tried to buy auto slacks for a steer axle last week. i gave them the part number on the slack adjuster, (Mack dealer)... they said, I cant help you, I need a VIN and need to see them..  I explained the truck was an '86 Superliner.  "Well I need a VIN"...  what a pain in the A$$... jojo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terry said:

the days of laying a part on the counter and parts man going back to get are gone!   terry:MackLogo:

Hell we can’t even put a part on the counter at our Mack dealer,COVID rules..lol😂

4 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

yeah that seems like a stretch... hell, is there a law dog that would even know what they are looking at?  as long as they are the same style and 'Length' positioned in the same holes, I dont see a problem........  and I too, tried to buy auto slacks for a steer axle last week. i gave them the part number on the slack adjuster, (Mack dealer)... they said, I cant help you, I need a VIN and need to see them..  I explained the truck was an '86 Superliner.  "Well I need a VIN"...  what a pain in the A$$... jojo

It just always leaves the thrifty prick with an option for a write up.  I haven't had any issues with this yet, but I've had such crap as them measuring the reflective tape on the mudflaps and writing it up as well as 1/2" thick oem legal length dump trailer mudflaps blowing too high.  I also remember the first dot cop around that starting writing dump trucks up for body-up lights before most knew it was a law.  The rest caught on pretty quick.

Steer axle slacks can be tricky especially on a Mack with rotochambers and the offset arms.

4 minutes ago, MACKS said:

Hell we can’t even put a part on the counter at our Mack dealer,COVID rules..lol😂

Yes, those great plexiglass barriers that you have to struggle to sign an invoice around.  Maybe soon they'll be gone.  Just a week ago there was discussion about the new covid guidelines for masking and social distancing in the event of a nuclear attack.  Then suddenly ahead of President Dementia's State of the Union address covid was eradicated. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, terry said:

the days of laying a part on the counter and parts man going back to get are gone!   terry:MackLogo:

way back in the day, most customers didn't need to even put the part on a counter. walk in tell the counter guy what you want for what truck  he walked back and returned with the RIGHT part. ask for brake blocks ( use to reline your own), counter guy might ask what grit you want. beyond different today.

• Like 2

Mechohaulic....  im a young'n.... '53 next month.....  so many times I wish I had a 100 foot chicken barn, I would buy all these old rejected tools and try to build parts.... brake shoes, alternators, starters, steering boxes, ect...  I really wish I new how to build injection pump's....  to me that would be great...  Dammit!!!  jojo

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Mechohaulic....  im a young'n.... '53 next month.....  so many times I wish I had a 100 foot chicken barn, I would buy all these old rejected tools and try to build parts.... brake shoes, alternators, starters, steering boxes, ect...  I really wish I new how to build injection pump's....  to me that would be great...  Dammit!!!  jojo

you sure know how to make a guy feel old  LOL  . i was wrench pushing on the day of your birth. 😁😁 each generation guess sees changes . unfortunately the coming changes don't  seem  positive. remember trucks were way simpler  then. there's more wires in  one  new "junk" then 5-6 B models had. i truly enjoy reading these forums ; just find it difficult to see how the trucks have become like cars with all the electronics. most accessories were able to be in house rebuilds. injection pumps could be tinkered with on limited scale. when factory stated a MB fire truck couldn't have a jake brake, little tinkering had one ,, NO vin number or computer needed.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Man, I wish I was born into this 20 year's  earlier.... I pull my hair out a lot..  I currently have a Mack E-tech in my shop for one of our "Brothers" here at BMT..  I'm greatful for it, because I know I can Give him a good running E-tech.. I am not 'cocky'  by any mean's,,, but more guy's like me need to come out and get these machines up and running, for those that need them.  There is so much knowledge here, that it gives me a bunch of relief.  I take these Mack's to heart...  I know I am off topic, I'm just talking to you and who ever else understands.... jojo

Unfortunately my generation (I just turned 30)  has become too computerized, everything is solved by googling it. Can you guys believe that they are owners operators that work with me that don't know what setting the lash on the valves is? I asked him if he owned some feeler gauges and he looked at me like if I was asking him how to perform heart surgery. LOL.

Red

• Like 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Friend of mine went into an auto parts store a few years back, and asked for  a Heli-Coli kit.  Honest to God, they asked him what car it was for.

The last time I bought brake pads and rotors for my pickup I told the parts counter typist that it was a 2009 Chevy half ton pickup and he did not know that meant a Silverado 1500 because it wasn't listed in the computer like that....like wtf is going on anymore?

• Like 1