S cam bushings

R.E.D

My s cam bushings are shot..I plan on doing an rear end complete overhaul pretty soon..I go to the mack dealer for an unrelated part and ask for a quote for all the brake components for the two drive axles.i ask for the metal s cam bushings not the plastic..guy at the counter says he has never heard of metal s cam bushings..and he has been working for mack for 14years...I didn't want to sit there and argue with the guy so I played dumb and got my part and left...but I remember I installed brass or bronze s cam bushings on my Rd before .does anyone have the part number for the bronze bushings?crd92 93 I believe.. thanks 

Red

I forget stuff that I have done many time's,,  when I post 'here'  I start out ready type a repsonse, and then 3/4 of the way through, I may just forget....  that's when I ask for youre opinion,  and a few others here too.. :) jojo

• Like 2

77 is NOT an excuse ;;;; it's a REASON ..LOL   . i'm on my way to 71. challenge is trying to answer questions on the forums when the brain thinks of the 60's=70's applications , comical when a post says " i have an old truck 20--; that's new to us old timers. to the topic, bronze bushings were used in all applications then. it was a world with out plastic parts. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Yup, and until the dirty shit comes out and it’s all clean grease. 

the "new way" of thinking is count the pumps of grease, so i've heard. pumping till new grease shows ( the way i was taught also )  in some instances  will blow out the seals  if cams not shimmed proper.  ever take off a wheel that has backing plates to find brake shoes covered with grease due to someone putting inner seal in backwards 

• Like 2

I've seen adds for a different kind of bushing. EtCon ???  or something like that. I've often wondered if they would be better than plastic. I almost think they don't require grease either...... not many of those free magazines come anymore, used to see them in the back pages.

for me, at $500.00 per barrel of grease, I would get pissy when I saw piles of grease on the floor..  couldnt get a few of them to just watch for it to purge before it hits the floor..  anyway,,, grease is GOOD. we know that... jojo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Onyx610 said:

I heard that the metal bushings are better for like dump trucks and the plastic are fine for highway trucks. As the dumps are mostly stop and go and lots of brake applications….

Yes sir, that's why I favor them ,the stop and go abuse wears them out.

10 hours ago, terry said:

i used to hear to put the outer seal in backwards so it would come out there first.ever hear this?  terry:MackLogo:

inner seal kept grease in the cam housing, outer seal backwards became point of least resistance  letting over  grease out. also was a pain in as- to put seal in backwards many applications due to not much room for seal tool/ socket to fit or hit small rim of seal