T310 transmission noise

Dalton1

I have a 07 CV713 with a T310 10 speed transmission,  it recently started making a bit of a growling noise in 4/5 and 9/10, noise is faint in 4th gets louder in 5th and gets louder the higher the RPMs get. As soon as I shift to high range in 6th the noise completely goes away till 9th where it starts up again and worse in 10th.

Odd thing is the noise comes and goes, sometimes I'll be driving 55mph in 10th and the noise will suddenly come and go.

So for I have changed oil using 50w synthetic trans fluid. There was some very fine metal on the magnets, torqued rear yoke bolt, (have had the loosen up before causing range shift issues) check range fork actuator o rings as well as looked under rear top cover, looked ok.

Any ideas where to look next would be greatly appreciated!

Ride hight shouldn't be an issue, it's on camelback.

Diff fluids looked good and are now new.

I realize 4th/5th and 9th/10 are the same gears, just trying to best describe the issue. 

Seems odd the noise will come and go, I would think if something was failing the noise would be consistent. 

Will check the bell housing bolts in the morning, that would make a lot of sense. Whoever installed the transmission left about half the bolts in the floor plate out, hydraulic lines a mess and rear yoke bolt loose so I wouldn't be surprised. 

Thanks 

OK... now new info.....  the bell housing has a flange around it...  if the tranny has run loose, it wears the flange, and affects the alignment of the tranny input shaft... it's real....  The problem is that youre tranny has an integrated bell housing, un-like an Eaton.   I've been here... you will pay hell to keep the tranny in-line, if the holes and flange are wollered out...   the bolts are 10mmx1.50 .torque to 70+  I have installed helicoils..  it helps but the flange is the key for alignment...  sorry for this bad news... I hope it's not youre problem...  Jojo

19 hours ago, Dalton1 said:

Is there a way to check or clear the oil galleys?

Also if it makes any difference its mack reman with approximately 20k miles on it.

Not with pulling it apart sorry

If someone has used silicone or silastic or that type of thing it can be squashed off on the inside and drops down and gets pumped thru the box or caught in the sliding dogs and makes it jump out of gear, run loud and wear out before its time 

If this is a remanufactured box with only 20,000 miles on it wouldn't it be covered under warranty  ?

Pretty sure Mack is 100,000 km in Australia on remanufactured stuff so that would be 60,000 miles 

If you tamper with it to much you might void your warranty if it still applies

Maybe something to look into 

Paul

Checked all the bell housing bolts, I was able to tighten 4 of them half turn or better, one is stripped. Rest were tight. Will try to repair the stripped one asap. Seemed to make the noise quieter but definitely not gone but only had time for a quick test drive.

Transmission was replaced by previous owner and it was 5 years ago, not sure I would be covered under those circumstances. 

On 9/29/2021 at 8:49 PM, Dalton1 said:

I have a 07 CV713 with a T310 10 speed transmission,  it recently started making a bit of a growling noise in 4/5 and 9/10, noise is faint in 4th gets louder in 5th and gets louder the higher the RPMs get. As soon as I shift to high range in 6th the noise completely goes away till 9th where it starts up again and worse in 10th.

Odd thing is the noise comes and goes, sometimes I'll be driving 55mph in 10th and the noise will suddenly come and go.

So for I have changed oil using 50w synthetic trans fluid. There was some very fine metal on the magnets, torqued rear yoke bolt, (have had the loosen up before causing range shift issues) check range fork actuator o rings as well as looked under rear top cover, looked ok.

Mack T300 should use 80w90 Mack GOJ or 75W90 GOJ Plus oil for best gear and bearing life. 50W synthetic is unapproved as far as I remember.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 7:49 PM, Dalton1 said:

Was it making this noise before the oil change?   terry:MackLogo: it would be a good idea to put the correct oil in it! I believe the 50 weight syn. was for the fuller trans. A lot of viscosity difference between them two oils.

Edited by terry
  • Like 2

just adding to my post here,,  not sure if you are familiar with how this tranny as well as others are built.... so,  if the bell housing runs loose, it stresses the in-put shaft, which puts stress on the pilot bearing, clutch discs, and input and spigot bearing on the tranny input shaft, it can also put an angle ( if wear is excessive) on the input gear(4th/9th gear), which will be noisy. The next gear in the input hole is (5th/10th). if you get this far, pull the sliding clutch out and make sure the clutching teeth have a straight edge on the end, if the teeth are diamond shaped, replace it. a lot of times the speed gears will survive and can be re-used...   there will be more comments coming on this,  youre in good hands, Jojo

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input, I'll try changing the fluid first. I changed the fluid when I bought the truck, put in regular 50w then the noise started about 3k miles later, drained it to check for damage and refilled with syn 50w as that is what I was under the impression it required at the time. Will drain it and put in mack goj plus 75-90

Hopefully I didn't ruin my transmission trying to be proactive 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...