Clunking noise

I have a clunking noise what seems it is coming from driver side . It usually only does it when loaded . It does not happen when turning and I don’t feel it on steering wheel . It’s usually just at take off and also when stopping and coasting  like at 2, 3 mph. I did notice today more when going into reverse when loaded and going like at 3 , 4 mph . It seems like every time the wheel rolls  you hear it at the same spot. Like rolls  once then you hear the clunk. Has anybody experienced something similar don’t know where to start looking . Also this is on a 2014 Mack cxu613 

Edited by Rsc1717

the rubber blocks on the springs may have centering pins broke. 

drove us nuts for three weeks before we found it on the 04 granite. 

have someone watch the axles when you take off and stop. if they move, the centering pins are probably bad.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

the rubber blocks on the springs may have centering pins broke. 

drove us nuts for three weeks before we found it on the 04 granite. 

have someone watch the axles when you take off and stop. if they move, the centering pins are probably bad.

When you say watch the axles are you meaning the back axles as well. Fairly new to the trucking world . 

1 minute ago, Rsc1717 said:

When you say watch the axles are you meaning the back axles as well. Fairly new to the trucking world . 

Are you meaning we’re the leaf springs tie up to the front axle they a centering pin in the middle or what. I was thinking it was maybe my front spring bushings .

13 hours ago, Rsc1717 said:

rear axles.

watch to see if the move forward and backward when taking off and stopping. if the center pins on the rubber blocks in the spring caps are broken, the axles will slide on the springs.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Ok seems that I found the issue it’s the front wheel bearing had a guy touch tire while slowly going forward and he told me it jumps . Also stopped while loaded trip and touched that side wheel and was extremely hotter than other side.  Come to find out it’s a unitized hub and bearing not sold separately. Well it is sold separately but only 100 dollars less then the whole hub . Hub at dealer $765.00. Is their any Mack techs here I found the bearing and seal on eBay for 185.00 can it be done that way just changing bearings or does the whole hub just have to be changed ?

Usually it only does it when loaded or mid day thru work day . I work local hauling belly dump I’m thinking it’s because it gets hotter when loaded and the more use . Have any of guys gone thru one of these or changed one . What problems were you having . Just want to make sure it is this . I’m thinking it is because of the what the guy telling me feeling jumó on tire and also wheel Hotter then the other side

Usually your front tire will tell you if it is wearing oddly with lumps forming on it, jack up that wheel and check it out also check your king pins a loose bearing  and worn king pin can cause that noise the heat may be an indicator also but if one brake is slightly tighter than the other that would make a little more heat on one side also

17 minutes ago, D-Day said:

Usually your front tire will tell you if it is wearing oddly with lumps forming on it, jack up that wheel and check it out also check your king pins a loose bearing  and worn king pin can cause that noise the heat may be an indicator also but if one brake is slightly tighter than the other that would make a little more heat on one side also

My tire is wearing evenly I did change my tires because they were wearing bad on 3/25 of this year . And never really found the issue. I changed my kingpins in may of this year because I really thought that was going to fix this knock and wobble at like 30mph I have now . 

Just now, Rsc1717 said:

My tire is wearing evenly I did change my tires because they were wearing bad on 3/25 of this year . And never really found the issue. I changed my kingpins in may of this year because I really thought that was going to fix this knock and wobble at like 30mph I have now . The clunking noise I feel it when taking off also when I start to slow down and coast at low speeds I here it . Also when driving at let’s say like 60mph when approach a right hand curve I feel like a small pop on the front end . 

11 minutes ago, terry said:

are you working this truck with the front end in that bad of shape? sounds like your are!  terry:MackLogo:

Well you dint answer my question or any help terry. But you did answer your own ? 
I’m trying to figure issue to fix . Thanks 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rsc1717 said:

Usually it only does it when loaded or mid day thru work day . I work local hauling belly dump I’m thinking it’s because it gets hotter when loaded and the more use . Have any of guys gone thru one of these or changed one . What problems were you having . Just want to make sure it is this . I’m thinking it is because of the what the guy telling me feeling jumó on tire and also wheel Hotter then the other side

To answer your question about changing a wheel bearing, I  have9changed one of this particular wheel bearings myself

That been said I see no reason it would be different to any other wheel bearing 

Jack it up

Block it so it can't fall down and is safe to work on

Back the brake off

Undo cap on the hub and remove the two big nuts and washers remove wheel and hub as one

Remove bearing bits from hub and axle, including the seal

Clean everything 

Reassemble in the reverse

When tightening the big nut,  do up tight then back off one and a half flats

Assemble the remainder, fill with oil

Re adjust brake drive away 

Or at least thats how I would tackle it if it was mine

I hope tuts is of some help

Paul 

Also, if you decide to tackle this job you will need a wheel seal if you are replacing both bearings…which id imagine you would be. 

Edited by Onyx610
Spelling

1 hour ago, mrsmackpaul said:

To answer your question about changing a wheel bearing, I  have9changed one of this particular wheel bearings myself

That been said I see no reason it would be different to any other wheel bearing 

Jack it up

Block it so it can't fall down and is safe to work on

Back the brake off

Undo cap on the hub and remove the two big nuts and washers remove wheel and hub as one

Remove bearing bits from hub and axle, including the seal

Clean everything 

Reassemble in the reverse

When tightening the big nut,  do up tight then back off one and a half flats

Assemble the remainder, fill with oil

Re adjust brake drive away 

Or at least thats how I would tackle it if it was mine

I hope tuts is of some help

Paul 

This bearings come unitized they don’t require oil . It’s a Mack unitized hub . I don’t know why they did it like that but that’s what this is .

1 hour ago, Rsc1717 said:

This bearings come unitized they don’t require oil . It’s a Mack unitized hub . I don’t know why they did it like that but that’s what this is .

Oh okay my misunderstanding, so they are sealed bearings then, I best  but out of this as I haven't seen this hub before

Paul 

• 1 year later...