Blow by

Big R

Hope you are right. The oil don’t look too bad so we are running it a bit to see what there might b for issues. Seems to run fine so will get an oil change and maybe not b so much. Does that seem pretty excessive for this motor, stupid  but I just don’t know. 

Need to determine if it is oil bypass, or as Glenn mentioned "steam" which is indicative of coolant in the oil. Swipe the internal surface of the vent hose to ascertain whether oily residue, or coolant which will be sort of "sweet" smelling.

Although the smoking or steaming is abnormal and indicative of wear, I've seen a lot of old Thermodyne engines smoke, or steam like that and run/work quite well. 

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

My suggestion is to change the oil and the thermostat 165 It  is running to cold!
also if the truck sits lots check the drain plug for water in the base by crackin the drain plug Also ! The filler bung will have evidence of green on it if it is coolant assuming your running coolant! If it just  blow by and it runs just keep running it As stated it will run like that for a long time !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So we put a clear jug over the vent hose and got no oil only steam. Down in the filler bung I found white cream, so water getting in for sure. I really watched the smoke last time we started it up and it is probably more white than blue. Does this mean it is burning antifreeze?  Head gasket?  Is there other places it could be leaking?  I get what ur saying about it probably being fine, I’m gonna run it the way it is but I like the input so I have a better idea of the condition of the engine. 

If the engine has an oil cooler installed the sealing rings are probably leaking which separate the oil from the coolant. Common problem on those engines with age. I've rebuilt three of mine from the same thing.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Bundle type oil cooler o-rings are still availlable... may i suggest pulling the oil filter pad and resealing it as well. you are already there. ... also you can make 2 simple little blocking plates to pressure test the oil cooler.. I did this a few years ago. I used 1/4" aluminum flat stock... I made 2 caps. In one of them I tapped 1/4 npt threads and installed an air compressor nipple.... The test is done at 80 P.S.I. in a tub of water.  I did this on an E-6 2 valve that I am building. In my case, My oil cooler was good...  Jojo

• Like 2