E6 Mechanical *** MANUAL ***FAN TOGGLE SWITCH WIRING

Sehka77

Question

Hello, have a 90 rd model w e6-300 mechanical . I seems engine fan is on constantly on  is this normal ? Also would like to wire a manual switch to turn it on & off  no a/c from factory any help would greatly be appreciated thank-you 

22 answers to this question

A 90 model with an E-6?? and with an air operated fan, not a viscous fan clutch??  I'm about to learn something here. Mabey Glenn or F, will answer this one for you.  

Horton used to market an air fan clutch kit but not any longer shown here:

They don't seem to offer any upgrades either.

Replace the viscous fan clutch assembly as they usually default to full time operation when no longer working correctly meaning sensing temperature correctly. Better to over run the fan than not run it and cook the engine. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Engine would have to be a transplant into the chassis but I've seen similar so not doubting.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Ron, thanks for the help .. and yes I sense fan clutch to be faulty seems to to run or be on at all times .... ..ill look into replacing it ..also truck original..has original engine From factory 

Does your fan look like the one in the picture I’m pretty sure it does  you can not stop that fan from spinning it works on a temp sensitive clutch it just spins at different speeds as it warms up and cools down 

3E22BBFE-426B-47A9-91EF-8810BAE9F10D.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sehka77 said:

Mack's...... pictures of what ? Truck ? Or engine fan clutch?

I think We'd all like to see pictures of the Engine & the Fan Hub from BOTH sides.......!!

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Mrgumby ,yes thats it .. so that's correct because seems to be on at all times but spins different speeds .... I thought it was  defective because @ cold start fan Is on ..and truck runs good no issue does not over hear 

If it's original to the chassis I'm wondering if a glider kit? Can't remember if the RD series was offered as a glider that late or not however.

There are written procedures for testing the operation of a thermostatic viscous fan clutch and only requires a piece of cardboard and non contact thermometer. Basically with the engine under 100 degrees(F) pull the fan through a few rotations by hand till it eases in effort to turn. Then start the engine and with the radiator blocked allow to warm to about 200-210 degrees(F), shut the engine down and physically pull the fan blade around, (by hand). The effort needed when hot should be significantly greater than when cold. If near rigid, the fan clutch is good. If still relatively easy to turn the fan by hand, replace the marginal fan clutch.

• Like 2

I'm curious why I have a (-1)  next to my name on on of my posts.?  I know I could start a thread in another forum, just looking for a short answer... Jojo

Are you sure the radiator isn't dirty on the outside ?  As in plugged up with dust and such between the cooling fins, not letting air flow through it as it should.  Maybe that fan is working exactly like it should ?