Hands are getting too shakey for doing this much anymore:

Rob

Attaching new leads onto the 28AWG coil wire. The friction tape is some "gummy" crap to work with:

image.jpeg.096f1ff0b6d8b65124ba02f6d656a90d.jpeg

image.jpeg.dee6c06736b7eb0e96e5487aaaee34fa.jpeg

Specification calls for 20.5, to 23.5 ohm resistance to operate the proportional controller. I hand wound 364' onto this bobbin to attain this reading:

image.jpeg.117afaf591730d75093cae7ccc7c2e89.jpeg

image.jpeg.3aa86e440bc9c56b1d5d24ced6646edd.jpeg

• Like 2

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Looks like a fun project.

What kind of work are you getting into that requires that kind of height?

I've gone maybe 30 ft in similar apparatus, but that's above my pay grade!!  Lol.  Once they get jiggling around and those controls are never smooth...... I'm not a happy camper.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Friend of mine had this since new in his overhead door business of which I had awarded a lot of contracts for. He passed early last year and I told the family I would like to have the lift when they were ready to execute the will. Once they discovered the relationship between myself and the deceased, it was given to me and I'm helping them liquidate other assets as they have no idea to values.

No real need other than a couple panels have blown off my building up high so this will make it much easier to replace them. I've known the electrical condition for many years so knew what I was getting into up front. However, they cannot locate the original manuals for the machine and near everything is long obsolete.

Heights don't really bother me too much. I've rode a lot of 120' lifts to install accelerometers onto antenna supports to isolate vibration issues over the years and as long as the wind is calm, it's not too bad.

I figure this lift would easily allow peeping into second floor bedroom windows at night should that ever be taken up as a hobby too.....

• Haha 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

2 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Sounds like a good reach, I  have known armature winders that havent understood the difference between winding a DC coil and a AC coil and it has taken them a few goes before the believe me that they are wound different 

Grear work 

Paul

Yes Paul, there are differences but not too much until frequency increases. Usually low power coils used at 50, and 60 cps are pretty much the same but when you get up into the HF frequency band and above, the impedance of the circuit becomes something that has to be overcome.  Hysteresis, Eddy Currents, and other parasitic loading in a magnetic circuit are fairly easy balanced with an RC network incorporated. ELI the ICE man comes into play here dependent upon application.

These coils are simple and set up a magnetic field through a square wave generator controlled by a varistor to pull a plunger a certain distance to allow hydraulic fluid bleed which regulates output flow from a hydraulic path. Being pressure compensated by design, the amount of hydraulic force remains constant, but flow, (speed) is varied whether driving the wheel motors, or actuating a boom function in this application.

Ok, wondering if you were getting into something else to keep yourself busy and out of mommas way?

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

Yes Paul, there are differences but not too much until frequency increases. Usually low power coils used at 50, and 60 cps are pretty much the same but when you get up into the HF frequency band and above, the impedance of the circuit becomes something that has to be overcome.  Hysteresis, Eddy Currents, and other parasitic loading in a magnetic circuit are fairly easy balanced with an RC network incorporated. ELI the ICE man comes into play here dependent upon application.

These coils are simple and set up a magnetic field through a square wave generator controlled by a varistor to pull a plunger a certain distance to allow hydraulic fluid bleed which regulates output flow from a hydraulic path. Being pressure compensated by design, the amount of hydraulic force remains constant, but flow, (speed) is varied whether driving the wheel motors, or actuating a boom function in this application.

I see words and all I hear in my mind is Charlie Browns teacher..............waa waa waa waaaa waa wa.   LOL!!   Though I do understand basics, fancy electronics are a touch out of my pay grade.

7 hours ago, Rob said:

Heights don't really bother me too much. I've rode a lot of 120' lifts to install accelerometers onto antenna supports to isolate vibration issues over the years and as long as the wind is calm, it's not too bad.

I figure this lift would easily allow peeping into second floor bedroom windows at night should that ever be taken up as a hobby too.....

So with the variable control it won't be like the cheesy rentals I've dealt with and their herky-jerky motion as you bump the button to move just a little bit and get throw a foot?  Working in the shop, at under 25 ft I'm okay.  Outside was different since the lift didn't get up high enough and I was stretching out of the basket to reach up and get to the light I was trying to replace.  Ugh.  I gave up quickly.  Screw that, I'm not getting paid enough and no fall protection either!

Larry

1 hour ago, alex g said:

Good job...were lucky you use your knowledge for good instead of evil. 😉👍

You knew about the propane fueled explosive noisemaker I threw into the basement of the eightplex apartment complex when I was 10? That sucker was LOUD!!!

I had to Get the *uck Outta Dodge with that one cause I heard sirens coming.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Freightrain said:

Ok, wondering if you were getting into something else to keep yourself busy and out of mommas way?

I see words and all I hear in my mind is Charlie Browns teacher..............waa waa waa waaaa waa wa.   LOL!!   Though I do understand basics, fancy electronics are a touch out of my pay grade.

So with the variable control it won't be like the cheesy rentals I've dealt with and their herky-jerky motion as you bump the button to move just a little bit and get throw a foot?  Working in the shop, at under 25 ft I'm okay.  Outside was different since the lift didn't get up high enough and I was stretching out of the basket to reach up and get to the light I was trying to replace.  Ugh.  I gave up quickly.  Screw that, I'm not getting paid enough and no fall protection either!

There is a big difference between proportional control, and solenoid control. Proportional is very linear if set up correctly. Solenoid control is "all or nothing" by nature although some are dampened to lessen the severity of engagement.

Agree.  I'm guessing the shorter units are less critical and only when they get into the tall units do they do proportional to lessen the jerkiness.  But with someone that is less then happy about being up in anything, proportional would be a good thing in any bucket.

Back in HS, I was in the Ohio Power Explorer group.  We had monthly get togethers and went to various places to see all about power transmission.   We got a tour of the service dept and they took us up in a bucket truck and played around a bit.  They jerked the control to get it bobbing around to see how the fiberglass arm flexes.  I grinned and bared it, but was glad to get back on terra firma.   The fun part was at school the next day when I got to tell the Electric shop teacher that a few us got "high" last night.  Oh the look I got..........until I told him it was 30 ft in a bucket truck.  LOL!

• Like 1

Larry

Acetylene bombs?   Ya, buddy in HS got some balloons and we played around on July 4th one year. 

His neighbor had told us about using trash bags at his work.  Sooooo, being a holiday and his neighbor had a big hoo-haw going with friends we decided to fill a trashbag...>with just air....and put a piece of tape on it and light it and throw it across the bushes.   OMG...the guys scattered, screaming like little girls while the wives all sat there just stunned.   As the tape burned down to nothing and the bag just went "poof"......we got a good laugh.  Though the neighbor wasn't laughing as much, at first.  Good times.

• Haha 1

Larry

12 hours ago, tjc transport said:

we used to make acetylene bombs on the farm.

get a condom. fire up the cutting torch and snuff it out. put the condom over the torch tip and fill it up. tie it off. hand on the wall, and light it with a cigarette on the end of a stick.

one day we decided to go big. got filled a bunch of condoms. a dozen or so. put them in a big black trash bag and filled that up too. tied it off on the back of the barn. 

got a long pole and taped a lit cigarette to it, and hiding around the corner, lit it off. 

blew the back wall off the barn, blew out every window in a 1/4 mile radius, and got the crap kicked out of us by the parents, and cops. 

we had some good times as kids on the farm, but it is a wonder we are still alive to talk about it!!

Try it with a 2 liter soda bottle and use wide masking tape for a wick. Cheap noisemaker guaranteed to garner attention.

I personally guarantee you can move a 20" truck tire mounted to a steel Budd rim more than 25ft using only acetylene gas, oxygen, a five gallon bucket, and masking tape for a wick.

My only advice on such matters is to be nowhere around once the move commences because I cannot guarantee the directions the tire assembly will choose for relocation.

13 hours ago, Rob said:

You knew about the propane fueled explosive noisemaker I threw into the basement of the eightplex apartment complex when I was 10? That sucker was LOUD!!!

I had to Get the *uck Outta Dodge with that one cause I heard sirens coming.

Lol we had one of those back on the farm to keep the black birds away, loud is an understatement..lol

On 2/21/2021 at 6:36 PM, Rob said:

There is a big difference between proportional control, and solenoid control. Proportional is very linear if set up correctly. Solenoid control is "all or nothing" by nature although some are dampened to lessen the severity of engagement.

Yeah...what Larry said.🙄

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Rode my manlift all the way up, down, and all around today with the freshly rewound coils, and restrung wiring in the engine compartment. All worked as supposed to now. Haven't begun to "tidy" anything up as of yet as wanted to prove all functions prior to possibly inducing additional failure points. All operations are very smooth in engagement and variable speed with the proportional controls working correctly.

I should have the cylinder rebuild kits for the 8" bore main lift cylinder, and 3.5" slave leveling cylinder on Monday. I'll then pull the cylinders from the lift and send them in for rebuild. That will take care of the hydraulic oil leaks and I'll be able to keep a clean shop floor again. Right now this is one oil puking pig when lowering the main boom as it sprays oil out of the rod seal and gland. I'll be happy to have that stopped.

Well sheesh..... Still ain't got no seal kits for the lift and the oil slick underneath continues to grow. I have it getting soaked up in absorbent pads, but I'd like to get this puking SOB fixed. EFF'n USPS tracking shows the kits left MI, (212 miles distant from me) on Friday and are now in Columbus, OH after going to St. Louis, MO. Now they'll have to go to Peoria, IL and the next day finally to Farmington, IL for delivery to me. This of course after their tracking information is dormant for two full days. 

And these people cannot figure out why they're broke as an entity other than blaming lost revenues on email.

Seal kits showed up yesterday and they are complete. Now just gotta figure out how to extract the cylinders from the machine to move forward with the project.

I'll have to think on this for a spell and will post findings.  

• Like 1

Not the best photo to demonstrate the ways or means, but I may use the bridge of my rolling gantry under the boom of the lift for support. If I lash the top of the gantry to the bottom of the boom so nothing will move, I may have enough room to negotiate the main lift cylinder free of the chassis with a helper to rotate the cylinder as it is lifted.

image.jpeg.3bfbf93a15009252bf17aa56c9b43fdf.jpeg

Pay no nevermind to that ugly old truck hogging up the aisle.