Used Tires

General Ike

I have a bit of a conundrum.  I've got a 2020 Ram Ecodiesel 4x4.  16k miles on it.  My plan was to get to 25k miles, put a leveling kit in the front and replace tires with 295's up from 275's.  Yesterday I had to dive off the road to avoid being hit head on and cut one of the tires.  I don't really want to replace one factory 275 right now and then in a few months drop the big $$$ on new 295's.  It also isn't really in the budget right now to buy a full new set of 295's.  So a buddy who is a wiz at finding stuff online sent me an ad on OfferUp for a set of 295's with 70% tread life remaining for $250 (total), which is less than one new of the same tire would cost.  So, how do you guys feel about used tires?  Any horror stories?

Edited by General Ike

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

Back in the 70's I run anything that held air. I was driving a brockway triaxle and the one front tire about had the inner tube showing threw so on went a almost bald tire. Every day I aired up the tires and filled that 318 up with oil and toped off the antifreeze. Right now my mack has four rear tires I bought out of a truck junk yard. I used to run recaps on cars and my pickups. In all the years of running caps I was coming up 81 with a load of marble chips in the dump trailer and I had the two new recaps that was put on before the trip loose the caps finished the run on the casings ripped the maxi air lines off when those caps come peeling off. Put a big dent in the fuel tank and hit the bunk so hard it took 3 years off my life. Had to improvise to get air up after dark with a flashlight that died right when you need it. Dot wasn't the force they are to day. We would run around the scales and the cb was a real tool back then.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, davehummell said:

Back in the 70's I run anything that held air. I was driving a brockway triaxle and the one front tire about had the inner tube showing threw so on went a almost bald tire. Every day I aired up the tires and filled that 318 up with oil and toped off the antifreeze. Right now my mack has four rear tires I bought out of a truck junk yard. I used to run recaps on cars and my pickups. In all the years of running caps I was coming up 81 with a load of marble chips in the dump trailer and I had the two new recaps that was put on before the trip loose the caps finished the run on the casings ripped the maxi air lines off when those caps come peeling off. Put a big dent in the fuel tank and hit the bunk so hard it took 3 years off my life. Had to improvise to get air up after dark with a flashlight that died right when you need it. Dot wasn't the force they are to day. We would run around the scales and the cb was a real tool back then.

👍 I hear ya. Not to get off topic but I recall a time money was tight and I pulled a set of brakes off a scrap truck and put them on mine. No shame in the money saving game

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alex g said:

👍 I hear ya. Not to get off topic but I recall a time money was tight and I pulled a set of brakes off a scrap truck and put them on mine. No shame in the money saving game

I've done the same but not because money was tight. When I send "cores" in, that is what they are only good for. I took a set of shoes off the front of an R model and boiled them in hot water on the BBQ pit in the back yard to get the oil out of them after an inner wheel seal failed. Never did have another problem with that set through their service life.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I've done the same but not because money was tight. When I send "cores" in, that is what they are only good for. I took a set of shoes off the front of an R model and boiled them in hot water on the BBQ pit in the back yard to get the oil out of them after an inner wheel seal failed. Never did have another problem with that set through their service life.

Didn't know you could boil the oil out of them. Thanks for that one

Agree with everybody.  If they are in good shape, and the date code isn't something stupid, they will be fine.

It's like I told somebody on here once before; after you leave the tire shop, your "new" tires are now officially "used" tires, too!

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

On 1/28/2021 at 12:59 AM, Rob said:

I took a set of shoes off the front of an R model and boiled them in hot water on the BBQ pit in the back yard to get the oil out of them

I've never done that, But I have Lit a fire & thrown the oil soaked Shoes in It to burn the Oil out of them, on more than one occasion.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 6:50 PM, Hayseed said:

I've never done that, But I have Lit a fire & thrown the oil soaked Shoes in It to burn the Oil out of them, on more than one occasion.

I prefer to boil them, then I make chicken and dumplings when the brake shoes are done😃.*

*this is a joke. do not make chicken and dumplings with the water you boiled the brake shoes in, it might make you sick, no matter how good it tastes.

• Haha 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Euell Gibbons would prefer to boil brake shoes to preferred tenderness, then a dash of parsley flakes over the top, with a side of "Grape Nuts" and he'd be set.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

On 2/16/2021 at 6:51 PM, Rob said:

Euell Gibbons would prefer to boil brake shoes to preferred tenderness, then a dash of parsley flakes over the top, with a side of "Grape Nuts" and he'd be set.

Maybe that's the secret to Grape Nuts- I noticed a box of them on the shelf last week that I probably bought a year ago, I didn't know I even still had them. It was as hard as rocks, I couldn't eat it anyway. So I threw it out last week, then the next day I saw several birds walking around with bent beaks.

If only I had boiled it for a few hours first, all would have been well.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 11:03 AM, other dog said:

I prefer to boil them, then I make chicken and dumplings when the brake shoes are done😃.*

*this is a joke. do not make chicken and dumplings with the water you boiled the brake shoes in, it might make you sick, no matter how good it tastes.

Just spotted this now that’s just hilarious thanks for sharing... bob