Non Mack engines

Brandt

Question

I have seen some older Macks with Detroit 92/71 series engines and Cummins Big and Small Cam engines in them. Once the engines went electronic did Mack use other than Mack engines??  Did a Series 60 Detroit or N-14 Cummins  ever make it into a Mack??

19 answers to this question

On 8/7/2020 at 12:50 PM, Brandt said:

I have seen some older Macks with Detroit 92/71 series engines and Cummins Big and Small Cam engines in them. Once the engines went electronic did Mack use other than Mack engines??  Did a Series 60 Detroit or N-14 Cummins  ever make it into a Mack??

Yes, Detroit engines were available in the Ultra-Liner (MH642/643) and RWI Super-Liner (RW643/743......Note: No RW642 or RW742 4x2 chassis were ever built, though they could have been ordered)

https://www.macktrucks.com/-/media/files/museum/model-production-numbers-1905-2000.pdf

1 hour ago, Brandt said:

I've never seen an N14 (or an E model Cat) in a Mack, but there were a number built with the Cummins ISX. I've seen a CL Mack with a 60 series in it as well.

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

We brought in a superliner with a KT 525   under the hood once,( early to mid 80's)  only one I have ever seen or know of ! It was close to being over weight on the front axle empty! Kinda dumbass I thought at the time ,when the V8 was  the right engine for the truck!

• Like 1

Here in Australia, The CH  was available in either ELITE or SELECT models .

the Elite was ALL Mack Driveline, & the Select had Series 60 engine, Roadranger G/box. Rockwell or Eaton Diffs & Hendrickson Air bag suspension.

The Long bonnet CL was available with Cat or serie60 engine Options as well as the V8.

From the early 2000's until (I think) 2010 the Signature was available in the Superliner & TItan.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

On 8/7/2020 at 1:08 PM, kscarbel2 said:

Yes, Detroit engines were available in the Ultra-Liner (MH642/643) and RWI Super-Liner (RW643/743......Note: No RW642 or RW742 4x2 chassis were ever built, though they could have been ordered)

https://www.macktrucks.com/-/media/files/museum/model-production-numbers-1905-2000.pdf

Incorrect. The 60 series Detroit was never available in the MH. 

The older 2 stroke Detroits were available in the MH chassis.6V92 as an example.

Only the CL643 was ever available with a factory installed series 60 12.7L.

On 8/7/2020 at 12:50 PM, Brandt said:

Series 60 Detroit was only ever fitted to the CL643 chassis from factory. The 12.7L version was available in 400hp and 425hp ratings but only between 1993 and 1995.

The N14 Cummins was never made available for factory order. Cummins only lasted as an option till 1991 in the MH and RWII chassis. You could get up to the 444hp in RWII and the 400 in the MH when Mack stopped carrying them for the 1992 model year. 

Cat 3406B was available in the CL753 starting in 1993 but changed to mechanical 3406C in 1994 which carried till 1999.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bbigrig said:

Incorrect. The 60 series Detroit was never available in the MH. 

The older 2 stroke Detroits were available in the MH chassis.6V92 as an example.

Only the CL643 was ever available with a factory installed series 60 12.7L.

I actually was involved in the sale of some CL643's.

On the MH fitment of the Series 60, you are correct (it's been years ago). In fact, by 1988 we only offered CAT and Cummins as vendor engine options in the MH.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 6:26 PM, david wild said:

Seen  F model Macks with Allis Chalmers engines now that is cool. 

My dad has told us about those Allis powered F’s for a long time.  Early 70’s Allis Chalmers has Allis powered F’s and Dad went to work for the leasing company that had the Allis account right as the switched to cab over Pete’s.  

15 hours ago, david wild said:

harry Pappas brought a few into his Peterbilt dealership 

Holy Cow!  I hadn't thought about Harry Pappas in forever!  The Peterbilt dealer was down the hill from the fairgrounds on 12 and Harry had another shop off of California St.  All done by 1980?

There was a local fellow that wrecked his Cadillac.  A friend and I threw it on a trailer and hauled it from NH to Harry's Krystal Cadillac in Gettysburg, PA because the owner of the wreck was friendly with him.  We were heading to Hershey for the car show and might as well have someone pay for our trip.  We unloaded the wreck behind the dealership where there was a half dozen Petes lined up some still with NH tags on them. Probably 1989 or 90.

Harry was always cutting deals!

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

17 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

I knew of an F model here in NH that had an Allis in it. Bought it in the mid west somewhere. lt ran like a raped ape l remember that!    .....Hippy

Now that would be a cool find.

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

2 hours ago, j hancock said:

Holy Cow!  I hadn't thought about Harry Pappas in forever!  The Peterbilt dealer was down the hill from the fairgrounds on 12 and Harry had another shop off of California St.  All done by 1980?

There was a local fellow that wrecked his Cadillac.  A friend and I threw it on a trailer and hauled it from NH to Harry's Krystal Cadillac in Gettysburg, PA because the owner of the wreck was friendly with him.  We were heading to Hershey for the car show and might as well have someone pay for our trip.  We unloaded the wreck behind the dealership where there was a half dozen Petes lined up some still with NH tags on them. Probably 1989 or 90.

Harry was always cutting deals!

Cutting was the key word

On 8/7/2020 at 6:07 PM, Hayseed said:

Here in Australia, The CH  was available in either ELITE or SELECT models .

the Elite was ALL Mack Driveline, & the Select had Series 60 engine, Roadranger G/box. Rockwell or Eaton Diffs & Hendrickson Air bag suspension.

The Long bonnet CL was available with Cat or serie60 engine Options as well as the V8.

From the early 2000's until (I think) 2010 the Signature was available in the Superliner & TItan.

It would be nice to find one of them, except you guys put the steering wheel on the wrong side. 😁😁

7 minutes ago, Brandt said:

It would be nice to find one of them, except you guys put the steering wheel on the wrong side. 😁😁

No,We have 'em on the Right(hand) Side...😉

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -