granite e7 427 overheating

got a 2003  granite e7 427 dump truck just bought it with a known overheating issue it gets hot when loaded it has a new radiator,intercooler ,water pump ,and a thermostat when we got it home we replaced the oil cooler . it was drove home a thousand miles and only heated up in the mountains . its doesn't push out water unless you get it hot no oil in water or water in oil i can hear the fan kicking in and it stays in when it heats up the truck only has 350000 thousand miles on it  the truck doesn't have a boost gauge it seems to run alittle high on the pyro it runs about 850 to 900 running down the road at highway speed up small grades but it doesn't smoke eccessively what direction do i need to head next 

i have a feeling the gauge is right cause it will push out water if you let it get hot enough and the engine fan runs i haven't been around this truck much but the fan doesn't seem as noisey as some of the other granites we have is there a way to manuelly lock up the fan cause it kind of seems like a airflow issue cause if the truck is sitting the ac gets kind of warm but as soon as you get going it gets cold can the fan slip and not fully engauge?

Doyou have a pointable thermometer guns? . Check for hot and cold spots on the radiator and hoses. Often colasped  hoses are overlooked  those thermo guns come in pretty handy  I’ve had a water pump fins shear off the shaft also. Just some food for thought

Try the fan clutch.  I have a 460 and when I was loaded climbing hills it would want to overheat.  Got tired of messing with it so I changed the water pump, thermostat and fan clutch.  Mine has a viscous fan clutch and I didn't realize how loud it would get until I put a new one on it.  Just as you said, my old one only kicked in when it was already getting warm.  I can hear my new one kick in just at or about 180.  But like I said, its a viscous, not sure what kind you have.

Edited by USMC205
More Info

Idk about a Mack but John Deere 50 series had a kit you could buy, they were just a twisted strap of metal that tied the fan bolts to the pulley studs to keep it locked together. Maybe you do some rigging (engineering) to lock & see if that fixes it.

• Like 1

Well it appears that the service manager at the county shop We bought it from gave us some bad info the brand new inter cooler He said they just put on looked old and plugged and when I called him to ask for service records he said he put an oil cooler on it which is what he told me though needed to be done when we first talked about it his story keeps changing every time we talk fan seems weak gonna try one of those and see if it helps 

Not sure what kind of flange the fan has, but when I was a kid I had a first gen Mazda RX7 that would overheat in traffic.  Car was cherry but I didn't have the money at the time to replace the fan clutch.  Backed the bolts out of the flange and put longer ones in that made contact with the clutch thus locking it up completely.  It was an annoying summer of the car sounding like a vacuum cleaner but it stayed cool.  See if you can do the same and it'll prove out if you've got a fan clutch issue without spending the money to buy one only to find out that it didn't fix the problem.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

well the more we dig into it seems we would have been better off with no information than the bad information we got from the service manager cause the shop we got it into said the radiator that was suppost to be brand new was plugged full of dirt and the thermostat didn't seem right