Axle covers for 58k rears

Does anyone make chrome or stainless steel axle covers for 58k Camelback rears with the cone shaped axle ends? I didn't know if any companies made them for these axles or even a hubometer style cap that has a hole in the center. Working on my brother in law's 85 rd688sx and want to dress up this rare low mileage gem

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eriksf250 said:

Does anyone make chrome or stainless steel axle covers for 58k Camelback rears with the cone shaped axle ends? I didn't know if any companies made them for these axles or even a hubometer style cap that has a hole in the center. Working on my brother in law's 85 rd688sx and want to dress up this rare low mileage gem

Pic of the truck?

Disregard the name on the door, that was the previous owner lol. I just joined the site so I'm new. I've been trying to research and learn more about his truck. I know it's an 85 RD688SX and it has a 350 2v and a 12spd. Has 67k original miles and everything works, including the heated mirrors and ac lol. It's going to get repainted in a few weeks, along with new exhaust, wheels and tires, led lights and some shiny stuff to dress it up 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eriksf250 said:

Well I think Mack as my 58's are chromed and Mack is cast into them

Even the covers for the trunnions were chromed, very little chrome remains now as it has come off with stone chips

Paul 

Edited by mrsmackpaul

2 hours ago, alex g said:

Looks like it was well cared for

I think it was too. My brother in law is the 3rd owner of it and the previous owner said he only put about 5-6k miles on it. We have about 4 inches of paperwork on it of all the work done to it.

35 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Well I think Mack as my 58's are chromed and Mack is cast into them

Even the covers for the trunnions were chromed, very little chrome remains now as it has come off with stone chips

Paul 

Paul do you have any pictures of it?

31 minutes ago, 1965 said:

That dude don’t need chrome! Just good cleaning up. That’s a real truck!

It's gonna get a real good clean up, an Alcapulco blue paint job, a good polishing and some chrome but not too much, just enough in the right areas. I want it to be a nice looking work truck but not a trailer queen, it's going to be put into service pulling a low bed and maybe a landoll.

• Like 1

the cast cones are way better looking then chrome covers. If your set on it, weld a bolt to the center of the cone and drill a hole through the chrome cover and sandwich it between a nut on the inside and a chrome acorn nut on the outside. Thats how I have seen it done (and personally removed)

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 8:04 AM, Eriksf250 said:

I think it was too. My brother in law is the 3rd owner of it and the previous owner said he only put about 5-6k miles on it. We have about 4 inches of paperwork on it of all the work done to it.

Paul do you have any pictures of it?

Sorry been a bit busy last few days, finally got some happy snaps

20200511-141447.jpg

20200511-141449.jpg

20200511-141451.jpg

20200511-141451.jpg

20200511-141455.jpg

20200511-141501.jpg

20200511-141512.jpg

20200511-141519.jpg

As you can see they are a genuine Mack part, there's all the numbers off them 

I doubt chromed these after they are made as they are two pieces, the cap in the middle is a separate piece that is pressed in like a welch plug, think you blokes call the frost plugs 

Anyway thats them 

Paul

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 8:27 PM, RFCDrum said:

You can have the center cones chromed. 

John Mauro RD.jpg

That sounds like a good idea, would you know ballpark how much something like that would cost?  My options were try to find chrome pop on caps for it, leave it black or leave it black with chrome axle nut covers, but I'll leave chrome plating it as an option too depending on the price. Nowadays in my area (Delaware), you usually see these steel nosed trucks as just rusted up site trucks that don't get hardly used on road and live mostly on a jobsite with minimal use. It would be nice to shine and polish up the ol truck and make it really stand out to all the other trucks on the road

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 9:53 PM, Eriksf250 said:

That sounds like a good idea, would you know ballpark how much something like that would cost?  My options were try to find chrome pop on caps for it, leave it black or leave it black with chrome axle nut covers, but I'll leave chrome plating it as an option too depending on the price. Nowadays in my area (Delaware), you usually see these steel nosed trucks as just rusted up site trucks that don't get hardly used on road and live mostly on a jobsite with minimal use. It would be nice to shine and polish up the ol truck and make it really stand out to all the other trucks on the road

John Mauro(RIP)  told me since this is his truck at the time  that when he got it new he took off the original cones and bought a new set from Mack since they  come unpainted and had them chromed and then siliconed the shit out of the backs of the center parts that always weep. You gotta remember this was like 1989 who knows what it would cost now. He also chromed the front snap rings too. There is a guy from NY in my area his name is John P Noto and he has a restored B model that he not too long ago had the rims and snap rings nickle plated which looked really cool. Look his name up on internet his B model should show up.

Got to this post a little late but the bright finish ceramic powder coat is the way to go. Right from the powder coat shop it looks good. It takes a few days to have done not months like chrome and a fraction of the cost plus it holds up well. If you take a good aluminum polish to it, it is hard to tell it from chrome.

I was just polishing the stack and guard on my LTL that was ceramic powder coated, tank straps too. It looked good before but great after. Just look at my resent LTL post, before the polish and see. Other thing is use the chrome nut covers to dress up the hubs and pinch bolt nuts, it really makes a difference, done on the LTL also with painted cones.