Probably not Postal Service, they had Maxidynes in their later MBs and naturally aspirated 673s with a 10 speed in the earlier ones. A USPS MB would also probably have the trailer raising "ramps" on the rear of the frame. BTW, saw a couple new MB tandems in Air Force colors and headed to the Air Force Reserve at the local Mack dealer back in '77, they looked to be the same spec as the USPS MBs except different color and markings. That was before my time at the Postal Service though, so I may have missed a few variants...

11 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

Probably not Postal Service, they had Maxidynes in their later MBs and naturally aspirated 673s with a 10 speed in the earlier ones. A USPS MB would also probably have the trailer raising "ramps" on the rear of the frame. BTW, saw a couple new MB tandems in Air Force colors and headed to the Air Force Reserve at the local Mack dealer back in '77, they looked to be the same spec as the USPS MBs except different color and markings. That was before my time at the Postal Service though, so I may have missed a few variants...

Inkedthumbnail_(2)_LI.thumb.jpg.65dd7e2b197db0a4ab3b74531022f6a9.jpg

11 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

underneath the red is dark blue paint and this tag led me to believe it is a post office truck however I do acknowledge it could have belonged to anyone of numerous government agencies. When the Mack museum reopens I will request info from them. Unless the pick up ramps had been welded to the frame of the post office trucks they may have been removed there are extra holes back there indicating that there was formerly ramps that had been unbolted and removed.

That looks like a military foil tag

The registration number 77B-1165 appears to be Air Force

77 is the year it was procured, ordered.

B indicates Commercial General Purpose

1165 indicates that it was the 1165 vehicle in the B class that was ordered in 1977

The blue paint is probably air force strata blue FS 15045

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quickfarms said:

That looks like a military foil tag

The registration number 77B-1165 appears to be Air Force

77 is the year it was procured, ordered.

B indicates Commercial General Purpose

1165 indicates that it was the 1165 vehicle in the B class that was ordered in 1977

The blue paint is probably air force strata blue FS 15045

WOW thanks for the info! was the entire cab blue?

This is crazy, I was bidding on this truck awhile back.   Then to see you post pics of it that show that it ended up with a mutual acquaintance in our neighborhood.  Must be something in the water out here.    

6 hours ago, storkmack said:

This is crazy, I was bidding on this truck awhile back.   Then to see you post pics of it that show that it ended up with a mutual acquaintance in our neighborhood.  Must be something in the water out here.    

I found it on truck paper I was always a fan of the MB