And so it begins

Hmm, that's gunno be interesting.  I know I made hooks to bolt on front and back of heads when I did mine.  You might have to sling it side to side inbetween the heads since the rear of engine is buried.

Hey, look at this way....you could be putting a Detroit in it!!!!  Lol.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

3 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

I have one of those that is bent from use.

Come to think of it the bearings don't roll well either from the bearing balls being pressed into the races.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I wasn’t sure how well they would work with a truck engine but they are slick when used for pickups and passenger vehicles. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

47 minutes ago, Hobert62 said:

I’m hoping to get rid of my oil leaks not get more.  Lol

You can get a Detroit two stroke diesel to not leak oil but you have to assemble them correctly. My 12V-71T and several others over the years were kept leak free once this phenomena was addressed and good quality seals/gaskets installed with straight flanges were implemented.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

2 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

I wasn’t sure how well they would work with a truck engine but they are slick when used for pickups and passenger vehicles. 

Your life very well can depend on what is on that hook remaining where you put it and that vendor is NOT the best choice with the inherent risk factor.

• Like 1

After removing the intake manifold, bolt onto the ports a strip of 1/2" steel with a pair of clevis or eyes welded to it. I like these types of clevis as easy to reposition: (Pack Of Grab Hooks 4) 5/16" Weld-On Forged Clevis Chain Grade 70 Industrial

You can "pick" from these points and the engine will want to roll slightly to the left as it breaks free of the bellhousing. It's more manageable if the transmission is removed from the truck first.

Do you have an SAE#1 housing on the Cummins, or using the original transmission? I would be interested in any leftover parts you may have from a B-67 for mine.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rob said:

You can get a Detroit two stroke diesel to not leak oil but you have to assemble them correctly. My 12V-71T and several others over the years were kept leak free once this phenomena was addressed and good quality seals/gaskets installed with straight flanges were implemented.

Agree.

40 minutes ago, Rob said:

Me too I stopped putting oil in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Rob said:

After removing the intake manifold, bolt onto the ports a strip of 1/2" steel with a pair of clevis or eyes welded to it. You can "pick" from these points and the engine will want to roll slightly as it breaks free of the bellhousing. It's more manageable if the transmission is removed from the truck first.

Do you have an SAE#1 housing on the Cummins, or using the original transmission? I would be interested in any leftover parts you may have from a B-67 for mine.

I like the idea for using intake.         My new setup uses a #2 bell housing.  I will pretty much everything left from driveshaft yoke to fan.   

25 minutes ago, david wild said:

Me too I stopped putting oil in it.

Probably got real quiet shortly afterward too.....

2 minutes ago, Hobert62 said:

I like the idea for using intake.         My new setup uses a #2 bell housing.  I will pretty much everything left from driveshaft yoke to fan.   

That is what I did but my lifting bar was a bit different and experimented with to find center, or balance point. I had the luxury of an engine on the floor from a donor to build from however.

4 minutes ago, Hobert62 said:

I'd be interested in whatever you have. Looking at another chassis which was robbed of powertrain years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Car engine 400#.  Mack truck engine 1500#.  I dont care how Harbor Fraud lists it, I wouldn't use it.

I wouldn't trust it with 400# either.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

9 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

I wouldn't trust it with 400# either.

Mine failed with a a GM 3.4ltr engine going into a Monte Carlo which is not a heavy engine by any means. 

3 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

I have one similar but without taking heads off there’s no way it would fit.   Being a b67 my front end is 8” shorter then a standard B.    The back 1/3 of motor is crammed in a dog house under the dash.   

1 hour ago, Hobert62 said:

Inferior is just an  opinion I guess.   If being able to get parts off the shelf about anywhere, almost twice the hp and torque as my n/a673,  being 100 + cubic inches smaller making fit better, and the fact it’s been around for 30 years makes it inferior, then I guess it is.    I also have freightliner air ride,  power steering from a fl70, and front axle from a fld120.  I’m building the truck to use and abuse with parts that are reliable, easily available to me, and have people experienced in working on them.    And mostly because I want to.    

Then it would have been nice of you to start with a less complete truck rather than butchering a complete one. IMHO

• Haha 1