Wheely good question for me

mrsmackpaul

Alcoa 10 stud rims 

Or Budd rims you blokes call them I think

I have noticed there are two types mentioned on here 

Piloted mounted or some such thing and the other type

So this may seem dumb to you lot  but apart from Budd rims on a old truck with  double nuts  and rims on a Isuzu that rims just clamped up really really tight these are the only two stud mounted rims on trucks I have had any thing to do with 

I gather the Isuzu was a pilot mounted jobby and the other was Budd as it had that stamped on the rims

I have only spider hubs on trucks and trailers 

You blokes call spiders dayton or some such thing 

So can some body give me the low down on the ten stud jobs and the whats what and whos who of them 

Thanjs in advance fgor thw wisdom 

Paul

Edited by mrsmackpaul

• 2 months later...

the budd wheels are stud pilot, use a tapered ball and seat to center the rim on the hub. hub pilot witch is the later 10 hole style are hub pilot the wheel centers on the hub and the nuts clamp it in place. 

one common misconception is that is that a stud pilot wheel the weight of the truck is carried on the stud and hub pilot the weight is carried on the hub. neither is true. the weight is carried by the faces being clamped together the difference is just in how they locate the wheel on the hub when mounting them. 

here is a video i did converting the steer axle on my old peterbilt from budd to hub pilot.  the rear ends were converted because everything on the rear of the truck is off a 2010 truck

• Like 2

• Follow up question- How many ft/lbs do you torque the "outer" nut to on the budd style wheels? I've seen sources say 600ft/lbs for outer, 450ft/lbs for the inners. But most people seem to say 450ft/lbs for both. I'm asking because i've been having problems with my lugs coming loose.  

On 5/5/2020 at 9:23 PM, jzack said:
  • Follow up question- How many ft/lbs do you torque the "outer" nut to on the budd style wheels? I've seen sources say 600ft/lbs for outer, 450ft/lbs for the inners. But most people seem to say 450ft/lbs for both. I'm asking because i've been having problems with my lugs coming loose.  

If they're coming loose then they're not tight enough.  You could replace the studs and nuts.

I had a wheel one time that would never stay tight.  Turned out that it had been run loose for a while and the tapered seats in the wheel had become wallowed out.  It would always work loose after tightening.  Replaced that one wheel and never had a problem again.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I figure after putting up with bud wheels all the years if i had a chance i would of shot whoever come up with the design what a pisspor excuse for wheel retention on the hubs give me dayton or hubpilot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1